birdlandmemories
leojm

Hockey is better than soccer

leojm
Started: 8/21/2013 Category: Sports

birdlandmemories

Pro

First round is for acceptance.
leojm

Con

I accept. Can't wait to start debating. Thank you for the offer. :)
birdlandmemories

Pro

Thank Leojm for accepting.

Hockey is better than soccer for numerous reasons;

1: Action.

People love hockey because of the action. This video show how exciting hockey is. (Note: once the video reaches 1:20, skip ahead to 4:15). From the fighting, to the always tense 3rd period, the action is amazing. In soccer, numerous parts of the game are spent teams getting organized, and just passing the ball around. In hockey, nobody slows down. The game always has teams going full steam.

2: Speed, unlike soccer, which is timed to end at a specific time, Hockey has it's own schedule. Overtime hockey is a must-see, as it's a winner take all battle.

3: Soccer has been known to have had some problems with match fixing. In 2006, it was alleged that France paid $25 Million dollars to Brazil to win its match in the world cup quarterfinals. Also, earlier this year, The UEFA champions league was alleged to have rigged over 600 matches. Nobody likes watching a rigged sport.

http://www.sportingnews.com...
leojm

Con

First for this round I would like to point out a couple of things from my opponent"s argument.
1."In soccer, numerous parts of the game are spent teams getting organized, and just passing the ball around. In hockey, nobody slows down."
This is not always true. In soccer you are constantly moving to run after the ball.
2."unlike soccer, which is timed to end at a specific time, Hockey has it's own schedule. Overtime hockey is a must-see, as it's a winner take all battle."
This is also not right. Soccer has overtimes too. If they get a tie. Also professional soccer is longer than a mini league.
3. "Nobody likes watching a rigged sport"
I"m sorry but I disagree with you on this one. Soccer fans are crazy when it comes to soccer matches. Soccer also dates way back to BC. Romans also played soccer. Soccer is liked all over the world.
4.Action.
Soccer has a lot of action. There are constantly horrible injuries. People get kicked in the face, get knocked out, and break their legs. It"s a dangerous sport. By the way, people love a fight that"s why the referees let the fights go on.
5.Some pictures of horrible injuries.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com...
http://t2.gstatic.com...
http://t1.gstatic.com...
http://t2.gstatic.com...
http://t1.gstatic.com...

6.My resources:
http://www.historyofsoccer.info...
Also soccer wins the World Cup.
My next argument I will make my points of why soccer is better than hockey.
I want to thank my opponent for debating me.
birdlandmemories

Pro

Thanks, Leojm for your response.

I would like to respond to my opponent's argument.

1. "In soccer you are constantly moving to run after the ball."

Most of the game is spent with the teams passing the ball around to get organized.

2. "Soccer has overtimes too. If they get a tie. Also professional soccer is longer than a mini league."

In soccer, if you give up a goal, you still have a chance to win. There is still room for error. In hockey, if you give up a goal in overtime, the game is over. There is no room for error in hockey.

3. "Soccer fans are crazy when it comes to soccer matches. Soccer also dates way back to BC. Romans also played soccer. Soccer is liked all over the world."

My opponent did not show how soccer isn't rigged.

4. "Soccer has a lot of action. There are constantly horrible injuries. People get kicked in the face, get knocked out, and break their legs. It"s a dangerous sport. By the way, people love a fight that"s why the referees let the fights go on."

Injuries do not make a sport entertaining. In fact, injuries slow the game down.

5. "Also soccer wins the World Cup."

The same argument can be made about hockey. In the NHL, teams compete for the Stanley Cup, which is known to many people as the best trophy in professional sports.
leojm

Con

Right now most of the countries play soccer. Even in South America, Europe, United States, Asia, Mexico, and many more. You will be able to see 11 players kicking a ball around, through, and against the other 11 opponents in order to get the ball into the goal.

It's not hard to set up in a soccer game. I mean you wouldn't even know much about soccer and if you see a set up right away a light bulb in your brain turns on, and wala you figure out it's soccer.

Now don't forget the pub culture. The players on both sides and their fans went to get a drink and a bite before and after the game. Now, this is a great way to get involved with your fans; which is always a thumbs up. They would laugh and sing together and just having a great ole time.

Even If you are not such a big soccer fan, but when you hear these names such as, Pele and David Beckham, your brain will light up and boom, you would say, " Hey, I've heard of these people, even though I don't fallow soccer that well." Now can you do that with hockey?

Soccer has grown dramatically in almost every country. It is also one of the few sports that women can play in the professional leagues. There are many countries who are very talented in this sport, including USA. Soccer has always been an exciting sport to watch, especially the fans.

Once again I would like to thank my opponent for debating me on this subject. This was a wonderful debate.

Oh one more thing, when my opponent mentioned that just because a sport is dangerous doesn't make it the best sport. Well I would like to say that people love dangerous sports. It gets your heart racing, and people just love that feeling.
Posted by KingCK 1 year ago
KingCK
Soccer is a better sport than hockey because, first of all, soccer is one of the most played sport in the world. All you need to play this sport is a ball.Soccer games last 90 minutes and Hockey 60 minutes. If you compare the World Cup to the Stanley Cup, World Cup is every 4 years and everyone is always excited because the Stanley Cup is every year. Hockey on the other hand you need lots of equipment and it"s very expensive, soccer is much cheaper. The nets in soccer are so much bigger than the ones in hockey so the keeper has to work harder.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
still my favorite debate
Vote Placed by MrJosh 3 years ago
MrJosh
birdlandmemoriesleojmTied
Reasons for voting decision: I almost gave PRO conduct since CON made arguments in the final round that PRO could not respond to, however, CON had no burden, so its a wash. Arguments to CON because she refuted PROs points.