kenicks
WannabeMusketeer

Hollister is Overrated

kenicks

Pro

There are many designer stores out there for our teenage (and, some pre-teens) to enjoy; Abercrombie and Fitch, Aeropostale, American Eagle, Old Navy, Steve And Barry's, South Pole, and The Limited to name a few. However, one name stands out from all of these designer stores-Hollister. Owned by Abercrombie and Fitch, this store is made to appeal to both males and females, this "surfer-friendly" store sells products such as Polo shirts, t-shirts, jeans, hoodies, and other basic teen wear.

However, Hollister is more of a popular store than its other main competitors, American Eagle and Aeropostale, which sell relatively the same products. Just why is this? The products do not greatly differ, and yet you cannot walk 3 minutes throughout a high school without seeing at least 9 or 10 teens donning this apparel.

But why?

I wish luck to my contender.
WannabeMusketeer

Con

First of all, i'm not a big fan of Hollister. I am a teen though and i'm not going to disagree that Hollister has a huge following. I don't agree that it's "overrated." Let's not treat this chain of stores any different or as an isolated incident. Generaly, high school is ruled by "fads." One day this is in and the next day it's that. It's how high school is, it's how our youth is. I'm not criticizing it, as I see no real problem with it. Hollister is just a fad, it's the latest craze. Before Hollister teens were really into Vans, and before that it was another store and so on and so forth. Hollister appeals the high school crowd, also its owner Abercrombie and Fitch appeals to the older more college and over crowd. The chain has another store simply called Abercrombie which is for infants and toddlers. Hollister has no real competition. American Eagle or The Limited, if you'd even like to call The Limted competition, is based towards a college and older crowd. It's all a part of the curremnt scence, before this was the "skater" scene and before that was the "rocker" scene. Right now it's the "preppy" look. I've purchaed jeans and a few shirts from Hollister, and I must say it's a quality product. It's not too over priced as far as T-shirts go, they're acually cheaper or competitive with most other clothing stores. However, I must say it's a good product. If you don't like the Hollister look, don't fret. It's actually been in a recession. More and more teens are starting to shop at Pac-Sun...possibly bringing the surfer/skater look back. Hollister:ovrrated? No, it's just what's in.
kenicks

Pro

"American Eagle or The Limited, if you'd even like to call The Limted competition, is based towards a college and older crowd."

While American Eagle's mission statement is that their products are directed toward college students, their mission statement does not always follow through; In my class of 17 8th graders, more than half own American Eagle clothing. I have been in an AE Outfitters store, and more than half of the customers are teens, and even some tweens.

"Hollister is just a fad, it's the latest craze."

Yes, Hollister is a fad. It is the latest craze. Fads are often considered "cool" for a short period of time, and then tossed aside and moved on. Fads are looked back on, and are seen to be overrated. Your statement of Hollister being "just a fad" contradicts yourself, and thus proves that Hollister is overrated.

"I've purchaed jeans and a few shirts from Hollister, and I must say it's a quality product."

I have too, indeed. I am, in fact, wearing, a Hollister shirt as I type; it is made out of cheap cloth and cotton. I spilled water on it today, and rather than evaporate after a while, the sopping water stuck to my shirt for an hour, causing the shirt to sag down. Another shirt, like my AE one, is made out of thicker cloth and cotton, allowing the water to be absorbed without an issue.

"It's not too over priced as far as T-shirts go, they're acually cheaper or competitive with most other clothing stores."

Au contraire. The T-shirt I purchased from Hollister was $15; the cheapest of the sort I have seen. All other products from Hollister range from $15-around $100. What teen in their right mind would pay $100 for a hoodie? For what? To make you cooler? Maybe, if you think girls consider empty wallets attractive.

The price of their polos are even more outrageous; they start at $29.50. Outrageous. I bought two polos at Aeropostale for $25, each for $12.50. I also saw a hoodie at Aeropostale for $15-the same price as the cheapest possible Hollister product. A hoodie at Hollister can ring you up for around $50. And the quality isn't any better, and sometimes, less! Astounding.

Claiming that Hollister's products are "cheaper" than other competitor's products is really going out on a limb, I'm sorry.
WannabeMusketeer

Con

First of all, just because the mission statement says that their clothing is geared more towards college students, doesn't mean that other age groups can't purchase their product. For you to make a statement like "their mission statement does not always follow through; In my class of 17 8th graders, more than half own American Eagle clothing." is completely ignorant. From your statement it sounds as if you're blaming American Eagle, as if they should guard the doors from anyone younger than college aged.

Sorry, but my statement that Hollister is just a fad doesn't prove your point what-so-ever. Your argument was that Hollister was overrated, if you wanted to argue that fads are overrated then you can make another debate attacking fads or teen culture, or society. But this is not where that arguement is going to take place. What i'm saying is that you're irresponsibly singling out Hollister when Hollister is just one of many. Also, fads aren't seen to be overrated, they're looked back upon, but that's completely up to the individual on what they see that era's style or fad is seen to be.

When I say it's a quality product, i mean i's a long lasting product. If you need something that'll absorb your mess, I'd try Brawny or possibly a bib.

If you'd go to other stores popular with teens such as Pac Sun you'd see that the shirts run around $20 and jeans are relatively $60, polos from pacsun are $30 and are about $25 at American Eagle, and hoodies do run around $100 these days. It's not to look cool, but if that is the style that someone has, that's their style. If one has money to pay for it, well then that's their perogative. I think girls find an empty wallet and a nice hoodie more attractive than someone who can't drink a cup of water without making a mess.

Thanks for the luck you've wished me. I really needed it to be able to follow what your argument is and to be able to figure out your logic.
kenicks

Pro

You're welcome. Those who never finished grade school need all the luck they can get.

"From your statement it sounds as if you're blaming American Eagle, as if they should guard the doors from anyone younger than college aged."

You misinterpreted my statement completely. I am saying that no matter if the mission statement of the company and store is to appeal to a certain age; the fact of the matter is that a wide variety of ages wear the clothes that are sold, not based on the mission statement, but based on what appeals to the customer.

This segues into a point I'd like to discuss concerning Hollister's viewpoint; the store is contributing to the child exploitation that haunts America today. Upon walking into a Hollister store, you are immediately greeted by half-shirtless (and sometimes fully shirtless) men, indescently exposing a protruded nipple. Their faces don an expression that reads, "My mind is vacant...buy our clothes...you'll look good without a shirt too...". This marketing scehem goes along with their "surfer-friendly" vibe, but they overdo it a tad. Plastering the walls with photos of scantily-clad models puts no good thoughts into an 8 or 9 year old's mind.

So let's try the website for a safer feel-oops! Another shirtless man! Cover your eyes, Greta, while I look for something for your brother...golly gee, does everyone on this site have beautiful, tender pectorals?

Now, is it really necessary to have these pictures scurried around this site? Does it make you want to buy the product more? I think not. Here is a link to reference to:

http://www.hollisterco.com...

Another thing about Hollister that angers me is their promiscuous gift cards. Just what do you envision a gift card to be? A rectangular block, with the logo of the store on it, displaying the value of the card's worth. Hollister gift cards, on the other hand, show a couple much too involved with each other for a clothing store, and it gives off a slutty feel. The link below shows the card:

http://www.hollisterco.com...

I stopped over at American Eagle's site, and found no indecent photos whatsoever. The same goes for Aeropostale. Both clothing stores have found success, without giving off a vulgar image. If you don't believe me, check for yourself:

www.aeropostale.com
www.americaneagleoutfitters.com

Let me get my point across straight: I am not criticizing the mission statement of Hollister, to give off a surfer viewpoint. I am criticizing the way they show it off, with pictures of attractive, scantily clad models, lounging on the beach. To get off a surfer feel to the store, rather the pictures portraying beach bums with a vacant stare at the camera, the pictures should portray people ACTUALLY SURFING. You can keep the black and white retro feel, the attractive, muscle-toned models, but rather than have them lazing around, inactive, have them being active and involved in the stereotype the product accompanies.

Hollister would get more business this way; it takes the intimidating feel away from protective parents. I know at least 3 classmates whose parents despise Hollister and their gift cards, and are against them purchasing clothes from there. Without the photos, maybe the parents would feel more comfortable with their kids involved in Hollister and their products. Just maybe.

"Also, fads aren't seen to be overrated, they're looked back upon, but that's completely up to the individual on what they see that era's style or fad is seen to be."

True, true. Some fads aren't looked back upon in disgust, thought of to be overrated...but many are. I have no knowledge of your age, so I'll cover all the bases. Let's say you grew up in the 70's. You've got to have remembered the leisure suit. Many men donned this apparel. Let's take a look at this link and take a trip back in time:

http://www.hfmgv.org...

Would you wear this nowadays? Do you find it to be overrated?

Or let's say you grew up in the 80's, watching your favorite NBA team, and all the great superstars. They all donned the same apparel; short, high rise shorts. Let's take a look back at some photos:

http://i.a.cnn.net...

Overrated yet? Try this one:

http://people.smu.edu...

Still not convinced?

http://www.aolcdn.com...

...if that one didn't convince you that short shorts are overrated, I'm truly worried. Men's thighs are things not to be publicly displayed.

Let's say you grew up in the 90's. A year of questionable fashion. Here's a few samplings:

http://cache.viewimages.com...

http://www.vintageculture.net...

http://www.historicfilms.com...

http://www.moviecritic.com.au...

We're all looking at these and wondering the same thing...what possessed us to wear that garbage?

That's what we'll all be saying in a few years from now about Hollister. All fashion fads are questioned in later years, it's inevitable. The fact of the matter is that Hollister's fashion line should be questioned NOW.
WannabeMusketeer

Con

WannabeMusketeer forfeited this round.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
This was an interesting read. Good job, Kenicks. You probably would have earned my vote even if Wannabe didn't bail out on you. (Also, the links cemented the win for you, in regards to my vote.) Congrats!
Posted by bjm1382 9 years ago
bjm1382
I personally think all the stores are over-rated. Last night I found my self so excited a hoodie was on sale for $30. that is crazy, I could go to walmart and buy 4 different hoodies for that price. and they would be better quality; just they wouldn't have a cute little logo on the sleeve
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Aeropostle isn't even in the same group as Abercrombie , Hollister and American eagle. The clothes at Aeropostle are more popular with a younger crowd, and the clothes are not the same quality.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I think they are all equally popular , but Abercrombie is a bit more expensive and American Eagle is geared a bit more towards college kids and Hollister is geared a bit more towards High School kids. The quality of all the clothes are good and it is the style that is in, so I don't see that it is overrated. Overpriced , yes.
Posted by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
I think there is a fine line...there are t-shirts for 15 bucks but other than that it gets up there. Once again the line can be blurred.
Posted by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
its so true, those stores are overrated, i mean, i wear AE but im not like "Oh my god! I love American Eagle!" THEYRE JUST CLOTHES
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by skiies23 9 years ago
skiies23
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by bjm1382 9 years ago
bjm1382
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by MyMeteora81 9 years ago
MyMeteora81
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by trayhayes 9 years ago
trayhayes
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
kenicksWannabeMusketeerTied