SilentMouse
shoutevenshy

Holocaust deniers should challenged rather than ignored

shoutevenshy

SilentMouse

Pro

Holocaust deniers are vocal about claiming the holocaust did not happen. Some claim it is best to ignore them, I believe it is best to challenge them and show they are wrong and their claims destructive.
shoutevenshy

Con

I don't see the reason or benefit to reply or react to such nonsense.
SilentMouse

Pro

Without answering them, people can fall for falsehoods as though it was reality. By answering them with hard cold facts, you may not change their opinion but may show others that holocaust denial is ridiculous. That the holocaust was a reality and keep them from believing in holocaust denial and revisionist history.
shoutevenshy

Con

I doubt these people lack information. The holocaust is one of the most talked about periods of time in school. These people are not uninformed, they are simply stupid.
SilentMouse

Pro

Often, I have found many do lack information. True, they hold onto their opinions regardless of true facts but if others see the facts presented, they may not be left to believe in revisionist history. Many did not challenge Hitler, saying he was a ridiculous corporal with silly ideas. Those silly ideas went on to ravage Europe. If we do not stand up and say "you are wrong and here's why"... then we are not standing up for what is right. We need to make our voices counted among those who will not tolerate the memory of those who died....to be forgotten.
shoutevenshy

Con

I don't see why we should waste time and energy to convince people that are unlikely to change their minds. This was a terrible thing that did in fact happen, and whether a minority of people insist that it didn't is to me not an actual problem, it is a shame that we have people with such small brains, but it is a problem out of all problems that we should prioritize? No! Let people believe what they believe, belief doesn't change facts
SilentMouse

Pro

SilentMouse forfeited this round.
shoutevenshy

Con

I never know what to write when people forfeit, hopefully the voters don't evaluate this argument.
SilentMouse

Pro

SilentMouse forfeited this round.
shoutevenshy

Con

shoutevenshy forfeited this round.
Posted by Fudge_Packer 1 year ago
Fudge_Packer
The term "holocaust denial" is a hoax in and of itself. There are always extreme people at each end of a bell curve. Most people are not "deniers," but people who debate certain claims. The other comment alluded to one claim. Another is this notion that making lampshades from skin was widespread. That is a lie. It was basically traced back to one person, but even that allegation was not successfully prosecuted.

There have been larger holocausts in history, but this gets the most airplay because the wheels are the squeakiest.
Posted by Hawlucha 1 year ago
Hawlucha
The Holocaust happened but the numbers are exaggerated. There are preserved newspapers prior to World War I stating the number 6 million regarding Jews, which is why deniers and conspiracy theorists assume the whole thing was a hoax from the beginning.

Did the Nazis kill Jews? Yes. But were the numbers as high as 6 million despite Jewish population at the time being no less than 1M? Not at all. The Holocaust is the 9/11 of the 20th century where it's used for politics and laws. As someone born in the last decade of the millennium I have no idea what went on during the so-called concentration camps and therefore I can't really believe the accounts of millions of Jews gassed to death, nor should I be arrested for making such an opinion. The outlawing of Holocaust denial is draconian as it interferes with Freedom of Speech and the rights of people given that it protects the interest of only one ethnic group whose so-called Shoah happened in foreign soil that wasn't even in the same continent I live in!
Vote Placed by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
SilentMouseshoutevenshyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited more times and it was clear that Con's forfeited occurred because there was no argument to refute.