Pro believes that Home Schooling is better than public schools. There is no interaction between students which helps to stop bullying. Home schooling gives a one on one interaction between the student and the teacher which does not happen in public schools.
Home schooling is more time efficient as well.
My argument against home-schooling is mainly with the quality of the education. There is no real set of checks and balances in place (outside of taking the SAT's) to ensure the quality of what is being taught. I had a friend that was home-schooled, not because his family was religious (the most common reason) but because they knew that was the only way he would get a high school diploma. As a nation the US has fallen far behind other developed nations in the area of education. This is a time when we should be raising the bar for education, not letting people teach their kids that the world is 6000 years old and we rode around on dinosaurs at on time. Home-schooling also limits the colleges that a student may apply and attend. Most private colleges will not accept a HS diploma that was earned at home, and for very good reason. My argument remains that until one can guarantee the quality of the education received home-schooling shouldn't be allowed.
Parents can control what they want their children to learn and WHEN they learn it, if your child is not mature enough to learn a subject (i.e. Biology) the tutor will not teach biology until further instructions from the parents.
In a class, there are lots of children (30-40 where I live) Since the child is not receiving individual attention, he/she will tend to get bored and lose interest in learning. In home-schooling, that does not happen, the child is given individual attention and it makes learning fun and interesting.
Another advantage is taking vacations whenever you feel like it, and there's no catching up to do. In public schools, you can't take a vacation or you are going to miss so much in school.
I will touch on the arguments you raised in regards to bulling and time efficiency. Yes, if you home school your child you can guarantee no bullying but you're just as likely to cause social problems later on. Children that are home schooled tend to have a much harder time relating to others as they get older and life forces them into situations they haven't been prepared for. This includes college, work and dating. So while sheltering your child from the bad of the world you're also taking away the experience they will gain on how to coupe with difficult situations. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com...
As for being time efficient, even the people that do home school say it's a very time consuming. http://school.familyeducation.com...
Children who are home schooled tend to do better in tests and exams than those who are public schooled.
Parents can give their children individual attention in the subjects their students struggle or excel in. Parents can help their children mature through difficult times in their lives. The quality of education is better in home school than in private schools. There are no distractions in the class (Obviously) and parents can stop teaching whenever they feel the child is having a difficult time to cope. The atmosphere is much better than that of a public school.
I will give you the fact that those that are home-schooled, and take the standardized test, do fair better. Now let us take a look at those numbers. In 2011 it was estimated that there were 1.7 million home-schooled students. The largest study tested 40,000 home-schooled children (or just over 2%). That's an incredibly small number, and they were all volunteers. That's 2% of home-schooled students against 100% of public school children. Furthermore, estimates put SAT aged home-schooled students at 200,000 but only 5287 home-schooled students sat for the SAT's in 2011. Again, around 2%. I'm more concerned with the other 98% and how their numbers stack up. When you take 2% of a populace ( all volunteers ready and willing mind you) and compare it to 100% of another the numbers will always be skewed. To be clear, I'm not against home-schooling, I'm against it in its current form. I suggest better oversight to ensure quality across board, not just the 2% that they like to tout.
Reasons for voting decision: CON was the only side to use sources (even discounting statistics in the final round). PRO dropped some of CON's arguments, such as home-schooled children having social difficulties later in life. Both sides were equal in conduct (CON mocking religious teachings came close to a violation, but it felt innocent enough to avoid penalty) and relatively equal in spelling and grammar.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.