DudeStop
birdlandmemories

Home Schooling

DudeStop

DudeStop

Con

Pro and I agreed to debate each other on this. If he has any rules he would like to add it would be best if he let me know this in the comments before we start off with our debate.

1. First round is for acceptance. Then main arguments, rebuttals/arguments, and following is a conclusion. It should be known that neither Pro nor I shall make any new arguments in the last round.

If anyone fails to meet point one, it is a loss of conduct. The voters will also disregard all arguments the offender had made during that round.

(Example: Pro puts all of his points into round 5, and spends the rest of the debate trolling. I would win, because you would disregard his arguments in that round, and award me conduct.)

2. BoP is shared, as agreed upon by Pro.

3. Homeschooling definition shall be:
"To teach your children at home instead of sending them to a school" [1]

4. In the unfortunate event of a FF, voters shall choose whether they would like to deduct points or not. Although two FF's by one person, that is automatically a full 7 points.

If Pro has any rule changes, please let me know before you accept in a PM, on my profile, or in the comments.

I wish good luck to Pro, and await his responses.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
birdlandmemories

Pro

I accept this debate, and would like to wish Dudestop good luck. I would also like to thank him for providing definitions for the debate. One more, good luck in this debate, and in future ones as well.
DudeStop

Con

DudeStop forfeited this round.
birdlandmemories

Pro

I'll wait for my opponent to post his opening arguments.
DudeStop

Con

Thank You Con.

Argument one: Isolation.

Instead of being surrounded by children their own age, many homeschooled children are lucky to see other students their age once a week, usually during sports or music practices, field trips, family gatherings, or religious events. It would be difficult for students to understand things like the new social "norms" and could potentially hinder their adult social lives.

Argument two: Parents as teachers.

Parents are not neccasarely the best teachers for a child. Often times, teachers must meet several different credentials before becoming a teacher. They must know their subject as well, so that they would qualify to teach it. Teachers, after teaching the same things for a long time, would be more knowledgable than a stay at home parent or guardian would be.

Argument three: High School diplomas.

Unless the parents pay the extra money for a home school program that offers a diploma the home schooled student will not have a high school diploma. Although the child may have a superior education they will not have the proper documentation to prove it.
birdlandmemories

Pro

Thank you, con for providing your arguments. Since this is the final round of the debate, I will only be able to refute cons.

My opponent states that homeschooled children are lucky to see other students their age once a week. But my opponent does list numerous other ways for homeschooled kids to be social, which include sporting events, field trips, family gatherings, and numerous other occasions. And they are able to experience new social "norms" at those events or gatherings.

My opponent also says that parents are not the best teachers for students. But parents do understand the child more, and know what strategies need to be used in order for the student to succeed. Also, parents are able to research the information needed for classes, and can give the student extra work if he/she is struggling.

My opponent also states that parents are able to pay extra money for a high school diploma, which shows that there are ways for the student to prove what they have learned.

Thank you. Vote con.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
@Nightofthelivingcats: I've to be fair here, what baseless assertions did my opponent make?
Posted by 2-D 2 years ago
2-D
This was a quick debate but still difficult to score. The dictionary is not a useful source to back up an argument so this point is tied. Con presents all of his arguments in the final round so there were no arguments to negate per rule 1 and Pro did not build a positive case when there was shared BoP. Con failed to meet point one losing conduct.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Well, I posted it in the unvoted debates thread, so that may have something to do with all the attention.
Posted by DudeStop 2 years ago
DudeStop
Either way, this debate has gotten more attention than I would have intended it to receive.
Posted by DudeStop 2 years ago
DudeStop
I'm not the one who is able to reconfigure their votes. I'm sorry that you feel this way about a very petty debate...

I would contend that really the only true argument you gave was the one where "parents tend to understand their children"...

The rest you just quoted me, and said it was adequate enough to win. You actually have to explain your evidence, not just present it mate.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
10 points of yours are for a "source" when all you did was define a word. Again, it shouldn't have counted, because in no way did it help back up your arguments.
Posted by DudeStop 2 years ago
DudeStop
A couple people also only gave conduct points to you, and failed to judge the rest if the debate. And some people, (Like wilted) gave very poor reasons for their voting decisions.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Again, how does dictionary count as a source? He didn't use it to back his arguments. So I see no reason for it to count as a source.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Wait, so dictionary counts as a source? I should learn this for future debates.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Yeah, I do use comma's excessively.
Vote Placed by GarretKadeDupre 2 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gets arguments because Pro effectively conceded all his points. For example, Con said teachers are better teachers, and Pro didn't argue this. That was a critical point to make, and Pro let it slide. So Con wins. For the record, I think kids should go to public school while most kids are going, but I want public schools abolished.
Vote Placed by 2-D 2 years ago
2-D
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by theta_pinch 2 years ago
theta_pinch
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con makes a good point about the teachers being trained. Pro says that the parent could look up the information but the information could be false so con gets arguments. Con was the only one to use a source.
Vote Placed by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited so Pro gets the conduct point, but Con's arguments, were more convincing and he actually used a source.
Vote Placed by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: S/G was tied. Both were fine. Pro made more convincing arguments. Con was the only one to use a source, so sources go to Con.
Vote Placed by Complicated_Mind 2 years ago
Complicated_Mind
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: After a more thorough evaluation of this debate I will have to change some of my votes; I'll give conduct to Pro because Con forfeited one round; S&G was tied as far as I could see; Arguments go to Pro. Pro successfully refuted all of Con's arguments. Though that was a bit unfair as Con was unable to reply; Sources are tied because I don't count dictionaries as a source. Sorry, DudeStop!
Vote Placed by Input 2 years ago
Input
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: A one round debate is rather disappointing. Con broke his own rule by posting in the last round. Con was the only one to cite a source yet it was only the dictionary so I do not count that. Con states that parents are not good teachers and that is counter-intuitive since the parents are the kids first teachers. I understand that some people/parents cannot "teach" a subject but that was not fleshed out. And h.s. diplomas are paperwork, proof of knowledge are conducted via annual tests (SAT/ACT) per state laws. It was a good topic though.
Vote Placed by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Vote Placed by yay842 2 years ago
yay842
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by NateTheFirst 2 years ago
NateTheFirst
DudeStopbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is awarded due to the rules Con has set up for this debate. Sources go to Con, as he was the only one who has used any. I find that Con's arguments were only countered by very shallow refutations, that did not completely nullify his case. It is quite a shame that con wasn't able to provide any rebuttals. I do believe that the burden of proof was "shared"... While it is nice that Pro hadn't made any arguments, he needed to in order to win the debate. It probably would have been best for him to provide arguments anyways. That way it would have been more like a debate. Con did have fewer grammatical errors.