7Best7Debater7
Varrack

Home Work Should NOT Be Banned

Varrack

7Best7Debater7

Pro

Home Work in School Should not be Banned!
Varrack

Con

I accept. I await Pro's arguments.
7Best7Debater7

Pro

Home Work should not be banned because of the amount of knowledge you earn from it
Varrack

Con

Thanks, Pro. I will now outline my case in favor of banning homework.

= Case =

C1) Increased Stress

Homework is detrimental to a student's learning because of added stress, which will hurt their academic growth. Under stress, students may encounter physical problems, more tension, and less relaxation[1]. This is a problem because students need to be well and alert and in their best shape to concentrate on school. Some students have sports or other extracurricular activities after school, so they may already be stressed. Piling on more homework will be harmful to each pupil. A recent study found that "the average scores of relating to students’ academic performances against the amount of homework dished out at the end of the school day, showed clearly that when more time was spent on homework students were getting lower scores."[2]

C2) Less Time

Since homework takes up time, it makes it harder for students to manage their day and do things that they want to do. After school work may cause people to cut out more on sports/clubs in order to finish up a needed assignment or project. Less time will also cause students to lose sleep since someone homework project require long hours of work that may seep into the night. This is also a problem because students need sleep to be mentally alert, to have the best attendance, and to focus in school so they can do well on their next assignment. If the point of homework is to help students learn things, then this just defeats the purpose as it cuts out on one's own learning.

= Rebuttals =

"Home Work should not be banned because of the amount of knowledge you earn from it"

Pro's assertion is entirely subjective. While it is true that some people may gain knowledge from homework, this doesn't necessarily mean it is true with everyone. For some, homework may be a waste of time since material is already being taught in-class. When we consider the harms homework brings, we realize that there are other alternatives that can satisfy both knowledge and unnecessary problems. An alternative to homework is that in a fifty-five minute class period, a teacher can spend thirty minutes teaching the class material while the students use the rest of the twenty-five minutes to study what was taught. If the student needs more time, he or she can plan out the amount of time they need to study and the amount of material to review, since students, not the teachers, are best at determining how much studying they need to fully understand the concepts. That way, a student can best balance their time without having the grades suffer as a result of not enough time, too much stress, or not energetic enough (by lack of sleep) to do homework.

[1] http://www.m.webmd.com...
[2] http://factualfacts.com...
7Best7Debater7

Pro

Thank you con for an good explanation although there are alot of reason why it should not be banned.
:I firmly believe in the axiom "Practice makes improvement." Practice and hard work are bound to make improvements if not perfection. The reason why a majority of students (if your research is valid) do not do their homework is because they feel that they do not need to which is a harmful mindset in itself. They see homework as something flexible and therefore have no will or feel the need to do it. This leads me to accentuate that schools should properly reinforce homework and see to it that it be submitted fully and on time. In fact, the argument of the opposing side that majority of the students dont even consider doing the task they are directed to do, only shows that students undermine the authority and dont even consider doing their work when they are expected to do so. I also believe in the statement, "No pain, no gain." The opposing side suggests that we shouldnt do it because it's boring and no one wants to do it which are all precursors of a lazy attitude which is something that students should watch out for.

I would also like to point out that the research in which 93% of students using technology for homework has only proved that students dont spend their time enough outdoors. As Ive mentioned in my previous argument, most teenagers or students spend their time indoors anyway checking to see latest updates on instagram and facebook which are far more unproductive than if students do their task. If they're going to use technology anyway, why not use it for something more productive?

And homework may not dramatically increase one's intelligence. In fact, it may not at all. However, aside from important life lessons such as responsibility, time management, and organization, it is a provisional way to preclude future mistakes from happening. Teachers usually give homework before a test. For example, one was learning the complicated quadratic formula in Math and was a little confused, homework serves as a self-study for the student to practice, improve, and develop their mind.

In my opinion I personally hate homework but Id have to admit it is better than none at all. The opposing side says that students will have a much better time without it but in fact, it will result to a reverse effect or exacerbate the situation more. I say this because what do most of the students do or most teenagers for that matter do after school? For those few who have clubs and are to the athletic side may go out under the sun and take in vitamin D but that is not the case for the other half (or majority to point out). Most teenagers really just stay home and fidget with their phones and computers. Im trying to say that they still stay and sit at home anyway. And it's not the homework's fault that makes most students couch potatoes.

I would also like to point out that homework comes in different forms. Physical education or biology class can tell you to practice volleyball skills or go outside and observe nature and their process of photosynthesis. I also believe that students can't only do what they want to do. In life and especially in work, they will have to face the things they dont want to do. For example, writing a thesis or doing a project. It will help students in abasing themselves in order for them not to have a self-indulgent mind. Homework can really help a student be more organized and responsible as well as learn life lessons. In addition to the knowledge gained at the end of the day.
Varrack

Con

My opponent hasn't actually made any real arguments, but has instead seems to want to have a discussion rather than a debate. The only arguments he's made are merely his opinion, with no research given or any real points laid out.

Pro also drops nearly all of my case, including the points about added stress and less sleep, and straw mans the arguments I have made. He also concedes some of my arguments including time management. Let us examine his side a little closer.

Pro's Response

In his first paragraph, Pro repeats again that "homework gives you knowledge". I've already answered this argument, which has gone ignored. Homework is not the only means of which one can obtain knowledge. There are alternatives such as after school studying of which the student can study to the extent that he or she needs to most in order to learn the material. By assigning these kids work, the school is assuming that each student needs the same amount of work as the other to properly learn things. As stated earlier, homework can be unnecessary for some because not everyone learns at the same pace. Giving assignments to students and assigning a grade to each on is hurtful to them because it doesn't necessarily ensure that they will get help. If its unnecessary, it just cuts into their time and puts a burden on them that could be easily lifted through studying at their place and not their teacher's.

"The opposing side suggests that we shouldnt do it because it's boring and no one wants to do it which are all precursors of a lazy attitude which is something that students should watch out for."

This is a distorted version of my argument. I never claimed that it was boring or that students are just lazy, but that it is unnecessary and needless when many kids have clubs or activities outside of school that take up time. Students also need plenty of sleep to focus well in school, of which is sometimes reduced because of homework.

"I would also like to point out that the research in which 93% of students using technology for homework has only proved that students dont spend their time enough outdoors...If they're going to use technology anyway, why not use it for something more productive?"

What does this have to do with the topic? I never once brought up technology, nor has my opponent made any kind of connection between technology and homework being banned. I'm not sure how to respond to this as it is quite irrelevant to anything discussed.

In his third paragraph, Pro states that homework "teaches life lessons" such as responsibility, time management, and organization. Again, this doesn't mean that self-studying is any different. Is there any evidence to show that homework actually increases fulfillment in these areas? If not, then this is mere speculation, and should be dismissed.

My opponent goes on to state that homework is not to blame for students staying indoors. It can be a factor, yes, but I never actually made this claim. My argument was that after school assignments cut in to extracurricular activities which are often important, such as community service clubs or sports activities that help the student get better athletically. Pro claims that the majority of students go home and play on their phones or computers instead of engaging in extracurricular activities. Is this true? Not according to a national survey which found that "79% of America's middle and high school students regularly participate in activities both after school and on weekends and 57% have some kind of non-school activity nearly every day. The vast majority of the students surveyed by the nonpartisan opinion research organization Public Agenda indicate that activities ranging from sports to art and music to church programs play a crucial and positive role in their lives."[1] The earlier assumption is false.

Finally, Pro states that homework comes in all forms. Of course, but how is this irrelevant? Again, these arguments and really arguments at all, but personal opinion and observation. My research has shown that homework has negative effects, and that these effects out weight any positives. Thus, the resolution is negated. Vote Con.

[1] http://www.publicagenda.org...
Posted by ameliarose 1 year ago
ameliarose
yes i am agreed with that that homework shouldn't banned, because its an important activity for every students.
http://www.bestessayhelp.co.uk...
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
7Best7Debater7VarrackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Only Con had sources.
Vote Placed by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
7Best7Debater7VarrackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had scourges for his arguments to back it up. Pro didn't have any. And never made any real arguments... Con wins this one.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
7Best7Debater7VarrackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't make any arguments. Con gave an argument, and provided sources to back his claim up.