Home school or public school.

Home schooling is a one on one learning and is a lot better then public.

Public school is a great way for students to be exposed to how the real world works in a safer setting. It allows us to interact with other kids our age instead of just being associated with adults. It allows kids to get a thicker skin and learn how cruel people can be. If kids are home schooled, they won't learn how horrible cruel and trashy people can be. They won't be able to withstand things like that when they actually hit the real world. Kids need to be taught in a semi-competitive (but still safe and stimulating) environment where they can learn to compete for jobs and learn to have a spine. Kids who are home schooled don't learn to get a backbone, they don't learn to have a thick skin and let things roll of them. Its a better idea to have kids exposed to different cultures and types of people than to be sheltered and coddled by parents through home schooling.

It's good for kids to be mean to each other? I go to a class every Monday and Tuesday with other homeschoolers that are really nice. Everybody should be like that, that's why I think homeschooling is better. I have neighbors and friends that can be jerks as well, we all do. And I'm the real world you don't work with 300 or so people of the same age.

It's not good for kids to be mean to each other obviously but that's just the way the world is I'm not going to try to sugar coat it because that's just not the way it is. I think public schooling is better because you are always going to be working around a lot of different people with different backgrounds and that's the way it is at public school. Home schooling is just an excuse for your parents to coddle and tell you that you can't do anything wrong and you will succeed with everything. That's wrong. You can't do everything. You can make mistakes. Public school, though it can be cruel, teaches kids that they have flaws and can't succeed with everything. I don't mean like academically because if you study yes you can do whatever you want, but I mean like physically or talent wise. If I was home schooled I would have gone to try to be a professional singer. I can't sing and public school taught me to face reality and look at my strengths and work on the weaknesses I can work on. Yes it can be cruel. It can be harmful. It can also be the best thing that happens to your kid because they meet new friends and learn how to interact with kids the way they actually would interact, not being monitored by parents. Home schooling just lets parents coddle their kids. That is more harmful to kids than public school ever will be.

So you're saying it's not good to practice and get better at what you want. Most moms want their kid to make a good living and encourage their kid to get better at the subjects that there not good at. Not being ready for the world is out of the question since we enter in activitys showing how other people are different then we thought. Our moms do tend to "coddle" their kids but also teach them what is wrong and right. On average, home schoolers out-perform their public school peers by 30 to 37 percentile points across all subjects.

But you are saying being coddled is fine. It's not fine, it is just going to hinder your success. I'm not saying you shouldn't practice at things you aren't good at but I am saying that with things that are natural talents like singing, parents tend to just say "Ohhhh you are so good! Good job honey!" instead of telling you the truth. You don't want your kid to be going around believing they are good at something they can never do and embarrassing themselves. Home schooled children tend to be sheltered and uncultured. That's all I'm saying.

My argument is that public school is a better option because the disarray and sometimes rowdiness of a classroom can actually benefit children because that is the way the real world is. Reality doesn't have your mom waking you up and holding your hand through every little activity. Reality is people are cruel and you have to be around people you don't like sometimes and you have to actually work for what you want. Reality is mothers can't hold your hand through everything. Public schools teach students to work on their own as well as with children from different cultures and backgrounds. Children are exposed to different ways of life, which is obviously extremely beneficial. Home schooling doesn't help as much as it hurts. Many home schooled children go into the work force having never experienced being in an academic or working situation. Yes home schooled children participate in social activities. But it isn't the same as being part of an work/academic activity. Home schooled children grow up with their hands being held by mommy and daddy and don't really always learn to deal with other people. They don't learn how to stand up for themselves, probably having never been teased. They don't learn to get a backbone which is what people need in this world. Public school will allow kids to be surrounded by people their own age and learn how to do work on their own without hand holding. Public school equips kids for life after high school whereas home schooling does not.
Posted by kwilson60 1 year ago
The choice between public school and home school is a personal one. Not all children would do well in public school and not all children would do well in the home school environment. My children have experienced both. They prefer home school. Some parents are great teachers. Not all parents are willing to home school. Not all parents who are willing to home school are capable. Just like not all teachers are good at their job. I have had teachers who made me not want to go to school. I have had teachers who were great and taught me to love learning.

For those who say that home schooled children don't learn to deal with difficult people must not have any difficult family member or difficult people in their day to day interactions with the real world.

I think it is great that we have an option to home school. It is great that those children who enjoy public school have that option. One is not better than the other. They both have their place.
Posted by wayne.workman2012 1 year ago
I am a high school drop out.

I dropped out because I was bullied. I hated school. Most of what I thought about during school was thinking of ways to avoid bullies, avoid interaction, and avoid conflict. I was a straight F student.

My parent's weren't the best at teaching me anything... seriously. Food, shelter, shoes. No conversations. No story time. No playing catch, no fishing, no bicycling, no teaching me how to cook or do anything at all whatsoever.

After I dropped out, I went to Job Corps and graduated with honors. I attribute this to the bullies being gone from my life. I later went to college and graduated with a 3.8, the .2 being due to sickness during finals one semester. I've learned to be great at socializing, helpful to others, courteous, and valuable to employers; on my OWN, Post high school.

Mind you, I make plenty of money, and was selected out of over 30 applicants for my current position, over 20 for the last, I've always been employed since Job Core, and am highly competitive.

Public school isn't for everyone. Kids like I was should have been identified and offered alternatives.
Simply because the bullies don't stop, and you can't remove a bully for poking fun, or for spitting on the back of your neck and not being able to prove it.

Do you have any idea what it's like to be bullied? I wanted to kill those guys, I really, really wanted to kill them.

Leaving high school was the only option for me, honestly. My parents weren't going to move out of town, ever. The school wouldn't do anything about anything. When I expressed these things to my dad, he just says beat up the guy. I came home crying the next day, and suspended.... and then back to school after the 7 days past, back to more bullying.

Bullying is in kid's nature, and I say Eff that nature. It's never done me any good, or anyone else.
It doesn't make kids tough, it consumes their lives while they are dealing with it.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
The best reason for home schooling is the parent can stop the social engineering of their child by liberal , communist teachers and the department of educations agenda of eliminating all opposition to a communist takeover of America.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: con rebuts excellently, and proves that, with the over-protection of sheltering, children cannot learn the real world "out there" and interact with other culture. Good job to both of you.