Seattle
Foreshadower

Home-schooling is bad for students

Seattle

Con

There are many myths and misunderstandings about home-schooled students. On of the myths that bugs me the most was the myth that says that home-schooled students don't get a good education. Standardized test scores show that home-schooled students' test scores were 15%-30% higher than public-schooled students' test scores. And home-schooled students also have an average on SAT tests that are 67 points above the national average. On top of that, home-schooled students are 74% more likely to go to college than a public-schooled student.
Let's not forget the studies that show that the home-schooled have better studying strategies and that they're more self-disciplined than other students.

https://www.hsamf.org...
Foreshadower

Pro

Hello everyone. Today I will be arguing in favor of the resolution Home-schooling is bad for students. Before I begin I would like to thank Seattle for creating this debate, and I would like to thank the voters for viewing our arguments and delivering their verdict.
I shall start be defining our topic.
Home schooling, the act of educating children at home, is bad, causes more harm than good.
Our value, judging standard, is pretty clear. We are judging based on the impact to students who are home schooled and the general populace at large.

I would like to say one more thing before I begin my arguments in earnest. I by no means am arguing that all home-schooling is bad all the time. I am simply arguing that in general, home-schooling causes more harm than good.

My first argument is that home schooling is bad because it deprives children of social interaction with their peers. Humans, especially children, are social animals. As Global Post points out in an article by Alissa Fleck and Demand Media, "'Parent & Child' magazine notes that children who do not socialize experience major problems in adulthood." (1) Children who are home-schooled do not get the opportunity to experience education with their peers.
At school children are exposed to many other people. They get to practice social interactions. Depriving children of this environment, of this experience is simply immoral, it is wrong, and it is bad.

My second argument is that Home-schooling is bad because it deprives children of the mixing pot experience that they experience at "normal" schools.
At "normal" schools children learn about other cultures from more than just a dusty textbook. They learn about other cultures first hand. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, in 2012 49% of students enrolled in public elementary schools were nonwhite. (2)
The diverse environment in America"s public schools is very valuable in the development of young people. Depriving children of exposure to other cultures is simply not right.

My third and final argument is that home-schooled students are put on an unfair playing field with the rest of Americas students. My opponent is correct in stating that homeschooled students get better test scores than public school students. However is this a good thing for a society? Not all families can afford to home school their children. In many families both parents work full time jobs. Therefore is it fair that children that are from more financially prosperous families get to receive a better education? This inequality continues the inequality which is already a huge issue throughout the world.

Thank you all for your time! I look forward to my opponent"s response!

1.http://everydaylife.globalpost.com...
2.http://nces.ed.gov...
Seattle

Con

Seattle forfeited this round.
Foreshadower

Pro

Seeing as my opponents has forfeited I do not really have everything to respond to. Thanks for the debate Seattle! I do hope in the future that you continue the debate. Forfeiting deprives all concerned parties of the opportunity to debate. It is better to make a bad argument than to forfeit.
Seattle

Con

Seattle forfeited this round.
Foreshadower

Pro

Foreshadower forfeited this round.
Posted by Seattle 1 year ago
Seattle
Hello, this is Seattle. I would just like to say, I did not forfeit, I just couldn't find the time to turn in my other arguments. My second argument would have rebutted the argument made by my opponent, and my third argument would have stated that homeschoolers have more time to do more extracurricular activities than public school students.

So, really I just couldn't find the time to send in my next arguments because (and yes, this will back up my third argument) I have a small business to run, I go to a co-op, I have school to do, I have cello lessons, I'm on a puppet team, I'm a babysitter and I have chores.

Foreshadower, I would be very happy if you would like to start this debate over, but if you don't want to I understand.