Malik1228
apple9530

Homeless people are homeless by choice

apple9530 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Malik1228

Pro

The "homeless person" is either making calculated and immoral choices to be homeless, or they are perceived to be powerless agents who lack the capacity to exercise choices. I live in NYC and the amount of homeless people I see is disgusting, are people just that lazy to get a job.
apple9530

Con

No person would choose to be Homeless. In the United Kingdom, the main causes for homelessness are:

1. High accommodation costs
2. Lack of Jobs
3. Housing Shortages
4. Family Breakdown/ Domestic Violence

None of these causes can be controlled by one person. If a homeless person could have a job, a family and a better life, I'm sure that they would do what it takes to get there.

'Laziness' is a word which is thrown around a lot when talking about Homeless people. It is true that some of them might be lazy. But, if you begin to talk to them and understand their stories, you'll learn quite quickly that many of them aren't homeless due to laziness. There is always a valid reason for why they are homeless.
I was once speaking to a homeless person, he told me that people would stare at him as if he was an animal when in reality he used to be like them. He was evicted after a loss of assured shorthand tenancy (A law which states that if renting, there must be a time period between when one's being told to move out and when they do, so they can find an alternative housing arrangement).
So are they homeless by choice? I don't believe so.
Malik1228

Pro

It still is a choice due to the fact that there are programs out there to help homeless people get off the streets and get themselves on their feet. They don't make use of what is available to them because they don't want to abide by the rules for and some of these programs are able to help homeless people land steady jobs. I throw the word lazy in because with all that is available to you free clothes , free food, free shelter how can you still struggle the government can only do so much to help people but in the end it is up to us to get out of the situation.
Posted by TheBenC 2 weeks ago
TheBenC
Anyone notice how homeless people only exist in places where the rich people exist? Go out to the middle of farmland and you will see no homeless and no rich.
Posted by vi_spex 2 weeks ago
vi_spex
homeless people must exist for there to be rich people