MeganLoaskia
InsertNameHere

Homeless people deserve to be where they are

Con Tied Pro

MeganLoaskia

Con

My arguement is Con for the following statement.
I believe that homeless people dont deserve to be where they are
Its a lack of our unconsiderate society that has not motvated them enough to find help.
May i wish the first opponent good luck :)
InsertNameHere

Pro

First I just have a few things to say. I'll like to thank my oppenent for setting up this debate. Playing Devil's Advocate, once again should be fun. :) I'll be arguing that homeless people do deserve to remain homeless. Best of luck to both of us. I'll begin by giving my opponent the privilage of providing the first argument.
MeganLoaskia

Con

I thank my opponent to let me proceed with the first argument.
Analogy 1.
Homeless people vary from people who are on the streets due to drug addiction debt and/or personal problems.
Statistics show that in the UK every 4 people per 1000 are Homeless in the UK.
Although in defense there our community's and federal services who set up food shelters. small hostels etc, but is that really enough?
Anybody can be homeless due to any situation, yet some people prefer to look down on homelessness as if the people have contracted some disease, Its now said that people in prison have more definitive rights than homeless people,
Police are now trying to advocate people sleeping in the streets sleeping, drinking etc , without talking or trying to talk to them some now prefer to dismiss them as " tramps" or as if there inferior to anyone else .

Many can turn to drug addiction by coming on the streets rather than starting there the first place and develop mental illness which can be disguised through appearance and drug addiction etc.
Our Society are first to complain about crime rates yet lack help for the homelessness
which is only surely making things worse?

Many Homeless citizens are not motivated to try and help them self because of the way society judges and precepts them, So all they can do is turn to drastic measures to feed there drug addiction rather than having there will power to help them self.

Many homeless people also are very grateful to receive loose change, money etc, so why would it be any different from someone having the determination to help them?

Local councils have specific legal duties towards homeless people yet they are not achieving swell as they thought they would.

- So my stance as stands, Homeless people don't deserve to stay where they are, they are eligible for help we will see more homelessness particularly due to the current economic and foreclosure crises So many people this year and next will see eviction from their property. There needs to be more help on tact to help innocent people reside to the streets!

I wish my opponent good luck in the second round : )

Sources;

http://www.citymayors.com...
http://www.kalimata.co.uk...
InsertNameHere

Pro

My opponent claims that drug addiction is a factor in homelessness. This can often be correct. This can be a particularly prominent problem, especially when the addict is using welfare checks in order to buy their substances rather than pay the bills. This alone can often lead to evictions due to unpaid rent. Should these people continue to recieve support from welfare when they're just going to waste it on drugs rather than helping themselves to better their situation?

My opponent also states that homeless people are often frowned upon. This is true, but why view them in a positive light when many of them are drug addicts who refuse to get help and abuse the welfare system? That welfare funding could be going towards those who actually need it and would use it for its intended purpose.

There are about 300,000 homeless people in Canada and about 750,000 in the United States.(http://housinghomeless.ca...)
When put into proportion these numbers can become quite significant. To provide every single one of these people with shelter would become quite expensive. Also, in many urban areas it may be hard to set aside land to build social housing. Many tax-payers would much rather have their tax dollars go towards things that directly benefit them, like healthcare and education.

One could also argue that these social programs such as housing and welfare are ineffective for many people as they don't provide incentive. They may pick up a mentality of "why get a job? I have the government to provide for me." If everybody thought like that the economy would collapse. If people aren't recieving support they get more encouraged to go find work thus keeping the economy strong.

I look forward to my opponent's rebuttal. :)
MeganLoaskia

Con

I thank my opponent for the compelling Argument.
Firstly you explain Why should the welfare help people in such bad circumstances I drug addiction?, well to be honest, why not? The education system has seen a huge downfall even though schools receive more money then any other business etc so basically half there money has been wasted.

My opponent then explains " why should we see homeless in a different light" well we should as a nation who have the courage to understand different perspectives and peoples lives instead of pre judgement, How do we know some homeless people haven"t overcome bad situations and revelations in their life? such as abuse as a child? , which then could explain their life and why they turned to drugs and obscene behaviour.

Yes I understand there is many ways money could be more beneficial to health services etc, But that is only because they have the power for Medicare etc homeless people don't have this, so what would be the harm in society looking at them differently and instead of dismissing them for poor self esteem and mentality and actually help them?

My opponent then continues to say and I quote -" they make pick up a mentality why get a job, I have the government to provide for me-" that can be seen as quite stereotypical, anyone can make a remark like that for example people who claim benefits and don't work but live in a stable environment and home.

If people were honestly not receiving any support I think its quite on the contrast ,because people would not be as motivated to luck for work and this could be due from anything to high anxiety to mental illness thus economy breakdown.
I conclude I understand where my opponent is coming from but I do believe the tax payers money is been wasted on alt of other things that is necessary and homelessness should not be dismissed in such a brutal way which is affecting society as a whole.

Along to you now :)
InsertNameHere

Pro

I thank my opponent for bringing up some very interesting points. :)

First point I will like to address is that my opponent claims that many homeless people may have had a difficult upbringing which led them into drugs. This could be true in many cases. However, if people are addicted to drugs they should be helping themselves to get support to overcome their addictions rather than continuing to drain the welfare system to buy their substances. At the same time they could be getting counselling and such to help them cope with problems they had during their upbringing. They should be trying to help themselves first before turning to others.

My opponent also addresses a statement made in my previous argument. Sadly, it is far from stereotypical and creates an entire wave of opposition to social services. It is estimated that about 11% of the entire US budget is spent to provide welfare services.
(http://www.usgovernmentspending.com...)
It is unknown exactly how many Americans abuse these services due to their lack of incentive and refusal to work, but as a tax-payer would you want 11% of the total budget wasted to give people drugs?

So in reality, if people were really motivated to get off the streets they would crack down and break their habits and go search for work.

Now I'll hand this over to my opponent...
MeganLoaskia

Con

Thanks again for the intresting arguement.

As my opponent is opposed to the following argeument i will treat this fairly and evaluate your points.
I agree all homeless should help themself and not rely on others for codependency but the truth is many of them have accepted the fact that they cant do that and so defend on the street asking for spare change and so fourth.

My opponent remarked that the homelessness is affecting welfare and tax, well to be honest what isn"t? Tax payers fork out alot of money to prisioners and young offenders criminals who are lacking in the justice system as well as projects and such that have been invested on and not used, aswell as the brutual death penalty.

I can see my opponent has based alot of their suggested points to do with money, but like i said there are thousands of things today that tax payers money is wasted on and the homelessness is very minimal to that,.

The truth is in todays world there is more gun crime and violence which as you can imagine can be scary living out in the streets no matter what your unfortunate circumstances might be, we cant prejudge these people based on societys outlook, no matter what they have done they deserve alot more than they are recieving most are treated like criminals and subjected to this terrible stereotype
Its easy for someone to say " go out and look for a job and stop your habit" but unless your out there and have experienced the bruatality of it all you can trully understand.
More money invested could provide a homeless person with stable accomodation and councelling etc.

Drug addiction is the biggest factor for ending up homeless it changes your state of mind most times , so your not able to make concious descisions for yourself and so need someone to step in and motivate you to go out and sort your life out and not in a crude way.

In conclusion im not suggesting that all homeless people are "poor & Innocent" there are ones out there that DO commit crimes and end up in prison or held in custody but if we really want to stop this we should stop being at the right wing of everything and actually think what benefits just a few more pounds could have to one homeless person and stop the stereotypical tag it has become.
I once again thank my opponent :)

http://www.deathpenalty.org...
http://www.help-the-homeless.org.uk...
InsertNameHere

Pro

I'll like to bring up a point to counter my opponent's argument stating that homeless people ask for spare change. This in itself is a flawed technique. Asking for spare change does very little in order to better a homeless person's life. It can be exhausting and they usually only recieve very little. Instead of panhandling, the person effected could be putting that energy into finding a job or doing volunteer experience that could lead up to a job.

My opponent is indeed correct that homelessness is effecting welfare and taxes; just too much is being spent on things to try to help this one group when it could be spent on things for the contributing members of society to use. This money should not be spent on the homeless. They aren't helping to pay for anything through taxes.

My opponent also mentions that many homeless people are stereotyped as criminals. She fails to address the fact that some may actually be criminals. What should we do with criminals? Give them special privilages? I'm sure many people would disagree and want to punish a criminal, particularly in the case of crimes directed at family members or close friends.

If somebody is addicted to drugs, it's often their own fault. They're the one who chooses to snort, inject, smoke, etc to begin with. If they get addicted and destroy their lives then they're the one to blame. My opponent fails to address this. It's a well-known fact that drugs can often be brutal. This article points out some of the re-occuring problems among homeless addicts: http://www.libraryindex.com...

Lastly, my opponent does indeed that not all homeless people are "poor and innocent". This is true and these people among the homeless who do bad thing shouldn't be helped by society. They take things from society and provide nothing in return so we shouldn't be expected to give to them.

I thank my opponent for this interesting debate. :) Cheers!
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
Yeah peggy.
Posted by InsertNameHere 4 years ago
InsertNameHere
Why Peggy? Don't want to type the whole name? lol
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
When are you gonna post Peggy?
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
Call*
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
I will cl you Peggy. I tried calling True2GaGa that. But she did not like it. I guess you won't like it either, but it has to be.
Posted by MeganLoaskia 4 years ago
MeganLoaskia
haha (;
Posted by InsertNameHere 4 years ago
InsertNameHere
lol I know. I chose it because I'm terrible at coming up with names yet I wanted something somewhat clever.
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
Ugg, your user name is so...I dont know. Its just strange when I am addressing you.
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
lol, Insertnamehere...
Posted by True2GaGa 4 years ago
True2GaGa
This will be interesting.
Vote Placed by Willoweed 2 years ago
Willoweed
MeganLoaskiaInsertNameHereTied
Reasons for voting decision: I dont beleive in insulting poeple and demonizing peple
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 4 years ago
InsertNameHere
MeganLoaskiaInsertNameHereTied
Vote Placed by MeganLoaskia 4 years ago
MeganLoaskia
MeganLoaskiaInsertNameHereTied
Vote Placed by chaskins 4 years ago
chaskins
MeganLoaskiaInsertNameHereTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 4 years ago
Rockylightning
MeganLoaskiaInsertNameHereTied