The Instigator
puppyluvz
Pro (for)
Winning
15 Points
The Contender
ChristianM
Con (against)
Losing
0 Points

Homemade cookies are better then store-bought

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 3 votes the winner is...
puppyluvz
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 3/6/2009 Category: Health
Updated: 8 years ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 10,855 times Debate No: 7262
Debate Rounds (3)
Comments (14)
Votes (3)

 

puppyluvz

Pro

Homemade cookies are better then store-bought ones for many reasons.

1) You can make them yourself so you know what you are putting in them.
2) You can alter the ingredients so they are exactly how you want them. (ex. more chocolate chips)
3) They are much healthier for you since they don't contain so many preservatives.
ChristianM

Con

1) I do have to thank you for not making this such a serious topic.
2) I MUST DISAGREE!!!

=======================================================================
CONTENTION NUMBER 1: STORE BOUGHT COOKIES ARE MADE BY PROFESSIONALS AND NOT BY UNEXPER-
IENCED ADULTS
=======================================================================

Well, as my contention states, when a store bought cookie is made, it must go through a process in which basic-
ally would make every cookie the same (hence, cookie cutters). With home made, you get mixed results.

Therefore, I urge a negative ballot on this topic. Thank you.
Debate Round No. 1
puppyluvz

Pro

"CONTENTION NUMBER 1: STORE BOUGHT COOKIES ARE MADE BY PROFESSIONALS AND NOT BY UNEXPER-
IENCED ADULTS
=======================================================================

Well, as my contention states, when a store bought cookie is made, it must go through a process in which basic-
ally would make every cookie the same (hence, cookie cutters). With home made, you get mixed results."

Incorrect! They have machines that do everything, not professionals. Some very few cookies are made by professionals. We am not talking about a bakery, where professionals may make cookies, but a store, a grocery store!

It's true that every cookie would be the same, but if you have every looked at the back of one of the cookie boxes, they have so many preservatives in them! When you make them homemade, at least you know what you are putting in them!
ChristianM

Con

My opponent states that with homemade cookies you know what you are putting in them, however, according to a survey conducted by foodnetwork.com, approximately 19% of home chefs make cookies from scratch. Therefore, the other 81% uses the premade brand. So, incorrect. Homemade cookies have preservatives 81% of the time, at least with store-bought cookies you know whats in them as well, its called the ingredient label.
Debate Round No. 2
puppyluvz

Pro

I saw in the comments that my opponent thought I was going to forfeit. No, I don't think so!

"My opponent states that with homemade cookies you know what you are putting in them, however, according to a survey conducted by foodnetwork.com, approximately 19% of home chefs make cookies from scratch. Therefore, the other 81% uses the premade brand."

This is very incorrect! If 19% of them make cookies from scratch, The other people USE A RECIPE! Just because 19% make them from scratch, it doesn't automatically mean all the others use the pre-made stuff! If I could actually see the exact web page where it says that 81% of home chefs use the pre-made brand, then I would actually believe you.

"Homemade cookies have preservatives 81% of the time, at least with store-bought cookies you know whats in them as well, its called the ingredient label."

Well, you're already wrong with the number of home chefs who use pre-made stuff, so this statement is incorrect.

Let me show you some examples.

The ingredient label of Chips Ahoy cookies, a pack of 4 cookies:
1.4 oz, 4 cookie pack. Ingredients: enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], folic acid), semisweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, dextrose, soy lecithin - an emulsifier), sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, high fructose corn syrup, leavening (baking soda, ammonium phosphate), salt whey (from milk), natural and artificial flavor, caramel color.

If you were to make the cookies from a recipe you would maybe have:
an egg, flour, sugar, baking soda, chocolate chips, vegetable oil, and maybe some salt.

So, look at all the preservatives that were added in Chips Ahoy. For example, partially hydrogenated soybean oil. That is actually a trans fat. It is slowly killing people, it's like cigarettes in that way. In the mean time, partially hydrogenated oils make you fat. Partially hydrogenated oils are commonly found in processed foods like commercial baked products such as cookies, cakes and crackers, and even in bread. They are also used as cooking oils (called "liquid shortening") for frying in restaurants. Here is exactly what it does: Trans fats cause significant and serious lowering of HDL (good) cholesterol and a significant and serious increase in LDL (bad) cholesterol; make the arteries more rigid; cause major clogging of arteries; cause insulin resistance; cause or contribute to type 2 diabetes; and cause or contribute to other serious health problems.

Obviously, store bought cookies are much unhealthier then homemade cookies because of all the preservatives in them. You DON'T really know what's in them! For example, ammonium phosphate! No one really knows what they are eating there!
ChristianM

Con

ChristianM forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 3
14 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 1 through 10 records.
Posted by ChristianM 8 years ago
ChristianM
Yeah, I had FCAT testing and had no access to a computer.
Posted by ChristianM 8 years ago
ChristianM
Lol Karma!
Posted by puppyluvz 8 years ago
puppyluvz
Look who forfeited!
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Con is making absurd semantic arguments about what constitutes "homemade" when it is perfectly clear what Pro was talking about. Budding lawyers should not be rewarded. Pro wins.

Incidentally, both sides agreed that preservatives are bad. Preservatives are good because they keep food from spoiling. Lab animals fed preservatives live longer. Of course, because preservatives preserve. But the choice to use them or not is only with homemade.
Posted by ChristianM 8 years ago
ChristianM
Due to my cumulitive testing this week, i was unable to post an argument. I apologize!!
Posted by puppyluvz 8 years ago
puppyluvz
Wrong!
Posted by ChristianM 8 years ago
ChristianM
Well, she hasnt posted another arguement so I guess shes probably gonna forfeit.
Posted by ChristianM 8 years ago
ChristianM
Well, she hasnt posted another arguement so I guess shes probably gonna forfeit.
Posted by AnimeFanTony 8 years ago
AnimeFanTony
Let It Rock!Let It Rock!Let It Rock! Go Rock! and Con!
Posted by ChristianM 8 years ago
ChristianM
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! Its a nice rock? Lol
3 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 3 records.
Vote Placed by Alex 8 years ago
Alex
puppyluvzChristianMTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Made more convincing arguments:--Vote Checkmark3 points
Used the most reliable sources:Vote Checkmark--2 points
Total points awarded:30 
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
puppyluvzChristianMTied
Agreed with before the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Agreed with after the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Who had better conduct:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Made more convincing arguments:Vote Checkmark--3 points
Used the most reliable sources:Vote Checkmark--2 points
Total points awarded:70 
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
puppyluvzChristianMTied
Agreed with before the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Agreed with after the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Who had better conduct:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Made more convincing arguments:Vote Checkmark--3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:50