Ian_Scott_Wilson
Darface

Homeopathy Does Not Work

Ian_Scott_Wilson

Ian_Scott_Wilson

Pro

I hold the position that Homeopathy, and all of its attributes, do not work and have no basis in science. By accepting this debate you will respond with a confirmation AND your first argument. I will rebut that in round 2, and you will rebut that in round 2. In round three I will make my last (And second) rebuttal, and you will make yours. Thank you, and enjoy :D
Darface

Con

Homeopathy Listeni/G6;hoA0;miG2;;4;pə_2;i/ (also spelled homoeopathy or hom"opathy; from the Greek h"moios- P05;_6;_9;_3;_9;`2;- "like-" + p"thos `0;^0;_2;_9;`2; "suffering") is a system of alternative medicine created in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of like cures like, according to which a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people.[1] Homeopathic remedies are found to be no more than a placebo,[2] and homeopathy is widely considered a pseudoscience.[3][4][5][6][7]
Hahnemann believed that the underlying causes of disease were phenomena that he termed miasms, and that homeopathic remedies addressed these. The remedies are prepared by repeatedly diluting a chosen substance in alcohol or distilled water, followed by forceful striking on an elastic body.[8] Dilution usually continues well past the point where no molecules of the original substance remains.[9] Homeopaths select remedies by consulting reference books known as repertories, and by considering the totality of the patient's symptoms, personal traits, physical and psychological state, and life history.[10]
The scientific community regards homeopathy as nonsense,[11] quackery[12][13][14] or a sham,[15] and homeopathic practice has been criticized as unethical.[16] The axioms of homeopathy are long refuted[17] and lack any biological plausibility.[18] Although some clinical trials produce positive results,[19][20] systematic reviews reveal that this is because of chance, flawed research methods, and reporting bias.[21][22][23][24] The postulated mechanisms of action of homeopathic remedies are not only scientifically implausible[21][25][26][27] but precluded by the laws of physics.[28]
Ian_Scott_Wilson

Pro

Well... yeah, that was my point. I am PRO the motion that homeopathy does not work. By accepting the con, and yet arguing my position, I clearly still hold the lead while the burden of proof rests on you.
Darface

Con

Darface forfeited this round.
Ian_Scott_Wilson

Pro

I rest my case. Vote for me.
Darface

Con

Darface forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by KroneckerDelta 3 years ago
KroneckerDelta
Ian_Scott_WilsonDarfaceTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Con mistakenly accepted based on a double negative (i.e. Con was technically not for the idea that homeopathy doesn't work--effectively meaning that they were pro for homeopathy working).