Ian_Scott_Wilson
RandomTruth

Homeopathy Does Not Work

RandomTruth

Ian_Scott_Wilson

Pro

I hold the position that Homeopathy, and all of its attributes, do not work and have no basis in science. By accepting this debate you will respond with a confirmation AND your first argument. I will rebut that in round 2, and you will rebut that in round 2. In round three I will make my last (And second) rebuttal, and you will make yours. Thank you, and enjoy :D
RandomTruth

Con

Since you didn't define what you mean by work, I will define it. I believe that Homeopathy provides several benefits in certain areas:

--- Hypochrondriacs ---
Firstly for hypochondriacs where the patient is not sick but believe they are - H provides a harmless way to provide emotional support and perhaps even a cure. The pseudoscience and actual medicine might convince a patient they are receiving drugs but in fact they are just receiving attention from a doctor.

--- The Placebo Effect ---
Secondly, there has been several studies comparing homeopathic medicines against placebo control groups. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... is an interesting meta study that concludes:

"The results of our meta-analysis are not compatible with the hypothesis that the clinical effects of homeopathy are completely due to placebo. However, we found insufficient evidence from these studies that homeopathy is clearly efficacious for any single clinical condition. Further research on homeopathy is warranted provided it is rigorous and systematic."

Now this study is really against H but it does seem to indicate that H is *no worse* than a placebo and in fact, possibly better.

So whilst I agree with you that H doesn't actually have a clinical effect, the process of H-care where there is an attentive doctor, does have psychological benefits. And this is where I see H working.
Ian_Scott_Wilson

Pro

Ian_Scott_Wilson forfeited this round.
RandomTruth

Con

RandomTruth forfeited this round.
Ian_Scott_Wilson

Pro

Ian_Scott_Wilson forfeited this round.
RandomTruth

Con

RandomTruth forfeited this round.
Posted by RandomTruth 3 years ago
RandomTruth
My point is that under certain circumstances it does work.
Posted by factsrule 3 years ago
factsrule
i take issue with the statement.

Assuming an accepted scientific methodology to test the effectiveness of specific remedies was used, "Homeopathy does not work" would not be up for debate, it would either be factually true or untrue.

If not, the debate would be over the validity of the testing, not the effectiveness of the remedies.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
Ian_Scott_WilsonRandomTruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: What the heck guys. Anyway, for both side forfeiting R2 and on, no conduct for either side. Con provided a logical reason for successful use of Homeopathy as a placebo and a strong source for support. Since there was no reply after that, Con gets Arguments and Sources.