TheBloodyTwinsRuleElliot
bensmith396

Homeschooling Doesn't Require The Kids To Be Pulled Out of Public School

TheBloodyTwinsRuleElliot

Pro

I've actually been reading a few debates on here about homeschooling vs public school education. Honestly, I actually think that the homeschoolers have some good points; being able to hand craft their children's education sounds awesome to me. I've also read some success stories on different sites about how their kids easily get high tests scores and go on to college. The ways and methods they used to help their children get there were really creative and actually gave me a few ideas....However, I don't believe homeschooling should have to mean taking the kids out of school at all.

As for posting a con side, I honestly can't think of any points I could make. Most of the homeschoolers in the stories that I've read used outside classes/activities/curriculum to teach their kids, and so the children weren't even being taught at home or by their parents. The parents were mainly there to pick curriculum or structure routines for their children, they didn't really teach.
bensmith396

Con

Just to confirm, are you implying that the child would be home schooled after each day of school?
Or do you mean during holidays, weekends? Can you also confirm about the amount of time that the child would be homeschooled for?

Thanks, good luck.
TheBloodyTwinsRuleElliot

Pro

Thanks for deciding to debate about this, I didn't think anyone would.

It would actually really depend on the situation. For an elementary - middle school age child, I would want to stick to using outside classes either after school or during the weekends. I can't list a set number of hours since the classes would really vary and change throughout the year.

For an older child I would want to start using the homeschooling workbooks/curriculum for everyday after school, during the holidays, but skipping the weekends. So I would say I would want to stick to about 2-3 hours per day for a highschool age child.
bensmith396

Con

Thanks for the conformation.

Firstly, the pro dominant problem with this method of homeschooling comes with homeschooling on a school day.
Around elementary level a child is expected to attend around 6-7 hours of schooling per day, with homework then added on top of that (expected to be 30 - 60 mins per night). Do you not think then adding 2-3 hours of home tutoring on top of this would not be extremely overworking the child? Adding up to 9-10 hours per day of schooling this would allow little free time, restricting the child's ability to attend clubs and extra curricular activities. This all seems a bit much, especially at elementary level.
TheBloodyTwinsRuleElliot

Pro

No, I actually said that the 2-3 hours would be for highschool age children, not the elementary school age. For the younger ages, I'd just want to stick to fun classes.
bensmith396

Con

The above still applies for high school children. It would just be more affecting on elementary children.
TheBloodyTwinsRuleElliot

Pro

TheBloodyTwinsRuleElliot forfeited this round.
bensmith396

Con

bensmith396 forfeited this round.
TheBloodyTwinsRuleElliot

Pro

bensmith396

Con

bensmith396 forfeited this round.