Homeschooling Is O.K

First round for acceptance only.

However, let me state the BOP:
Me: I must prove that homeschooling is O.K.
Opponent: The opposition must prove that homeschooling is not O.K.

Homeschooling will be refered to as the education of children at home by their parents.

By accepting, you agree to all of the terms above, and agree that, by any means, shall not be argued against.

I would like to thank my opponent for a good topic. This topic is a bit personal for me because I was homeschooled up to high school. I hope for a good debate round and I agree to all presented terms.

O.K will be defined as: Satisfactory.

In this case, I will prove that homeschooling is a satisfactory education.

Thanks to my opponent for accepting. I know my arguments are long, but please don't forfeit. I've been getting it a lot lately. Anyhow, on to the actual debating part.

Just a disclosure: I am strongly for homeschooling, even though I go to a public school.

--The Con--

In many homeschool debates, it goes like this for the con:

-Limited Social life
-Different person
-Less education.

I can assure you, I have a rebuttal ready for each one of these. Now, let's see what arguments I have stored.

--Argument I: Statistical evidence--

As many know, a ton of tests have been run on homeschooling to try and determine if it is good or bad. And all of the graphical results and statistics I found point towards the fact that homeschooled children actually do better in life than the publicly schooled kids. All sources will be included at bottom of page, as stats come from five different graphs.

Sub point I (1 and 4): First, I would like to take a look at the national percentile regarding homeschooled kids and public schooled kids. These will be split up into five categories: reading, language, math, science, and social studies. Of course, the average percentile for public schooled children is 50, right in the middle.

Now, for the homeschooled children, the national percentile jumps off the page. Thy score an 89 in reading, 84 in language, 84 in math, 86 in science, and 84 in social studies. On average, the percentile is about 35 higher when the children are homeschooled compared to private schooled.

Initial source: Homeschool Progress Report 2009, Dr. Brian D. Ray.

Sub point II (2):

The second statistical category I would like to point out is DSS score, which marks how wise a student is. Both public schooling and private schooling start around the mark of 150-155 in the beginning of grades (the first grade.) However, the homeschooling starts at around 170, proving that students are smarter being homeschooled right off of the bat.

At the end of the 10th grade, the scores are far apart. Public schooling is at a 250 score, private schooling is at a 270, and homeschooling is from the 290-300 range. This proves that homeschooled children are smarter than public schooled children, which means they got a good education.

If you are still not convinced, the data was conceived by a guy who wanted to disprove homeschooling, but instead proved that it was better, convincing himself.

Initial Source: Lawrence Rudner and Dr. Jay L. Wile.

Sub point III (3):

The third statistical category I would like to point out is the test scores of average homeschoolers. Upon looking up statistics, I found a considerable difference between the public schooling scores and the homeschooling scores.

These statistics, also in the form of percentiles, were similar to the first sub-point of this argument. However, the statistics are not the same, just similar.

When the average homeschooled child has a parent with a university graduate, their percentile is 87, which is 27 higher than homeschooling (60). The part that most supports my point, however, is that 27 is the closest these two come together. With other education (such as secondary diploma), the homeschooled/public schooled difference settles in at about +38 for homeschooled children.

So far, all three of my points have shown that now only is homeschooling a satisfactory way of education, but that it is also considerably better than public schooling.

Initial source: Worldwide Guide to Homeschooling by Dr. Brian D. Ray of NHERI, 2002

Sub point IV (5):

The fourth (and last) statistic I would like to point out is not very educational, but rather proves the satisfactory the homeschooled have on their lives compared to the rest of the United States of America.

It is pretty surprising that the difference between the rest of the U.S and U.S homeschooled children is so drastic. Only 27.6% of Americans are happy with their life, while 59% of home-educated people are. In a similar subject, 47.3% of Americans think their life is exciting, while 73% of homeschooled people think that theirs is exciting. So in conclusion, home-educated people also have a better life.

Also, homeschooled people have better moral obligations than the rest of the U.S, with 88.3% part of a community organization (compared to just 50% of the U.S.) Then, 71.1% of normally do community service, while just 37% of Americans do community service. Lastly, 76.5% usually go to Church, compared to a (sad) 16% of the rest of the U.S

Initial Source: Homeschooled and now Adults.

In conclusion, homeschooling means smarter people with better moral obligations. 4 statistical graphs from reliable sources prove my point. I will add more arguments in the last round.

For now, I hand my debate over to the con side. Thank you for reading.

I'd like to thank my opponent for a good topic, it is clear he has done this research.

As I stated in my first speech I was home schooled up to high school. I was then placed into a local high school. I was extremely unsocial. I didn't know how to act around other students. I got in trouble a lot. Many of the kids though I was weird and abnormal. I didn't know how to study, all of the work I had done in years before had been simple, but this was difficult. I had straight A's when I was home schooled but most of it was easy work. I didn't get good grades, I had to completely rethink how I do school. I still deal with problems from homeschooling, like being unsocial and not well organized.

My opponent shrugged off the most important issue when it comes to homeschooling, that of socialization. I wasn't cooped up in a house every day, I would often be taken out to social events, but it's clearly not enough. Oddly enough I am an extrovert, and I do enjoy peoples company. However I didn't (and still don't) know how to act around other people. This issue can never be overlooked when it comes to homeschooling.

Now that I have presented my own case I will refute my opponents arguments.

In response to pro's sub point 1 I will question the validity of these statistics for the following reasons:
Response 1: The stats that my opponent presented show absolutely no private school statistics. According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics (2012) private schools take up 10% of the USA's total students. Thus these statistics aren't examining the bulk of the issue and have been twisted into the favor of homeschooling.
Response 2: In the stats that my opponent public school students are what make up the average. According to these statistics, the public school students average is set at 50. Meaning that if a student where to finish in the 100th percentile it would still show up on the results as a 50% because the public school students make up the comparison, and the average of the public school students is placed at 50 because it is the average of Americans. Thus these stats cannot be sited for this specific point.

In response to subpoint 2:
Response: In response to his second statistic I will examine a statistic presented from Dr Ray Guarendi (the man who created the statistic from subpoint 1) shows that homeschoolers are made up of 22% special needs children (such as autism). According to pro's statistics, homeschoolers improve the scores of public and private by 12%, however with 22% special needs children you would expect 22% improvement, thus these statistics show that homeschoolers are actually not educated as well as public and private.

In response to subpoint 3:
I do accept the statistics presented in this argument because it has no impact on this debate. The fact that there is not much of a difference between education of the parents has no major impact on this debate and thus should be overlooked.

In response to subpoint 4:
Response: The statistic my opponent presented is extremely small, the survey says it interviewed 5254 people, a very specific small number. According to HSLDA the number of homeschoolers in the USA is 2.2 million people, in other words exactly 0.002% of homeschoolers where interviewed. This vague study limits variables to extremely small numbers. He then compares this extremely vague study to one of the most varied studies in the nation, with more possible variables (5417) then number of homeschoolers interviewed (5254). Thus the survey is extremely vague and should not be accepted.
Sources: Website/

Due to the extreme suffering that homeschooling brought me I have to be against it, I have refuted my opponents arguments and presented my own case. I strongly urge that you vote for the con side.

dtaylor971 forfeited this round.

Debate cancelled due to time issues

Thank you. Please do not vote.

Please do not vote for this debate
Posted by Cooldudebro 2 years ago
Use the video I posted on my debate Dtaylor
Vote Placed by InfiniteBears 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: i voted