Homeschooling VS Public School

I am going for homeschooling. Before we start, this debate will be a mixture of facts and personal examples. Both should be used at least once although facts should be used almost every round. First round is for acceptance. The rest of the rounds are for debating.

Thanks for the topic Pro, I accept. I look forward to a compelling and informative debate.

Lt.Harris forfeited this round.

There is still plenty of time to debate.Until then, I assert only that:

1.) Homeschooling does not allow for necessary social interaction.

2.) Parents are less qualified to teach than traditional teachers.

I have much more to say on the topic, but at the risk of yelling at a brick wall, I rest there.

1. It is easy for social interactions to occur. For one there are religious events and many people go to a co-op which is specifically designed to give kids a chance to socialize. There are also home school Proms (very large ones), home school plays (yet again, large ones), and many other opportunities for social interactions.

2. While parents are often less qualified, homeschoolers use set curriculums to teach. These curriculums are specifically designed to make it easy to teach and also learn.

3. This is my first personal example and I will be using a factual example in a minute. To start, both my brother and sister are on the highest level scholarship possible at IUPUI (Bepko). My brother was also accepted into the Naval Academy, an incredibly difficult school to get into as it not only requires physical adeptness, it requires extremely good academics, character, and a nomination from a US Senator or Representative.

4. Homeschoolers do extremely well on tests and in college, showing that homeschooling does prepare. According to We see that homeschoolers have on average .3 better GPA in their fourth year of college than public schoolers and even are above private schools and charter schools.

5. According to
Homeschoolers had at least 30% higher scores on tests such as the California Achievement Test, the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, and the Stanford Achievement Test.

6. Finally, according to Homeschoolers scored at least one grade point higher in 5/7 test areas than public schoolers of the same area with with extremely similair characteristics.

I will admit that not all homeschoolers are smarter but when compared on average, they come out ahead in almost everything. The one thing they don't do as well in is tests about evolution or such as many-most homeschoolers are taught on a Christian base and are not taught about evolution.

I.Social Interaction

My opponent states that there are a number of ways in which homeschoolers can break free from their stereotypical isolation through coordinated organized events with other homeschoolers. This is unpractical on several levels.

Not only are homeschoolers only interacting socially with other homeschoolers (implying exposure to a much smallerdemographic than that which is common in a public school), but they also only interact during these supervised events. There is no daily conversation and no "high school drama".

I cannot and would not claim that all of the social situations or influences present in the public schooling systems are desirable or even positive, but they are ideal for experiential learning and necessary in becoming an integrated functioning member of society.

An excellent article about social interaction in school is available at the following link: I would like to point out that one of the main contentions within this article is that while students do learn their behaviors from social interaction, they should be isolated to environments where only parentally determined desirable virtues are present. However, we must acknowledge in the interest of progressive education and the right of the individual that it is unhealthy for parents to forcefully impose their beliefs on their children in this exclusive way. This does not allow them to establish an individual identity in their most formative years and can lead to poor life choices once they reach the age of 18 and truly begin to act on their own free will.

II.Educator Competence

While parents teaching their children may use a curriculum, we still assume that that parent is basically qualified and intelligent. Consider, however, that homeschooling was universally implemented (which would be ideal if it truly was a superior system of education). Fewer than 32% of American adults have a Bachelor"s degree or higher (

I am not pretentious enough to suggest that a high degree is mandatory to prove competence to instruct at a first grade level, but once a child enters high school the level of academia needed to instruct may be far higher than that which is common in the average American parent.

III.Personal Experience

Personal experience is not indicative of universal success (or success at any level beside your own) and as such can be easily dismissed. Remember, many successful entrepreneurs and scientists did not receive a college degree, but that is not compelling evidence that college is counterproductive to success.

IV.Current Statics vs. Universal Applicability

While the current statistics presented in contentions 4-6 may be compelling prima facie, they easily lose significant effectiveness when examined a bit more closely. Families which currently implement homeschooling also have some amount of financial security and educational competence. While homeschooling may be semi-advantageous in certain circumstances of privilege, it is irrational to suggest that these statistics would continue if homeschooling became widely accepted as the general form of pre-college education. Many parents may not even be present in a.) Single parent homes or b.) Financially unstable homes in which both parents are working job(s) in the interest of survival.

In summary, to present homeschooling as the ideal form of education one most assume many things that do not apply to the common family. While homeschooling may be semi-effective among those students fortunate enough to have stable enough lives to participate, it cannot be asserted that that would be the case among the average student at a public school.

1. You are missing the point. At these co-ops, the students are pretty much allowed to act as they would in a normal school. There are dress codes, etc and yes, there is highschool drama. I went to highschool for my sophomore year and then moved back to homeschooling. The highschool was way less organized, the classes were twice as easy (I got 98%-100% in all classes but one and that was a 94%) and no, it wasn't cause the teachers were good it was the opposite. They sucked and gave us the easiest assignments I had ever seen. It was by far the worse teaching I had ever received. The social life there was almost identical to what i got at co-ops. Boyfriends, girlfriends, kids who argued with the teachers (by teachers I am talking about supervisors as we had to do school there but it was pretty much just a succession of study halls), class clowns, a**holes in the hallways, etc. There was very little difference in the social life.

2. The curriculums are almost all designed so that students can teach themselves if need be. That is what my brother did for Calculus and he ended up going on to Mechanical Engineering on a full ride (same one I mentioned before). I would like to point out that you didn't attacking homeschooling at all. You didn't, in fact, support your arguement that the schooling was worse in any way.

3. I'm not saying it is indicative of universal success but it is an example that yes, kids can succeed. My brothers best friend went on to get a Bepko along with 2 other people from our co-op. It is just an example of how homeschoolers can never be counted out as competent (not saying you did but some do) just because they never went to a "better" school (that isn't better).

4. Well. I'm gonna go ahead and say that my family isn't at all financially secure. We live in, not a slum, but in the more poor area in town and we are very much so middle class. Homeschooling isn't for everyone. I'm not arguing that it should be implemented as the national way of education. My argument is that, for the moment, it is, in fact, better than public schooling. You are making assumptions. You are saying that homeschooling families aren't normal. We are very much normal. I go to service camps, I go to youth camps (all attended by a majority of public schoolers) and not a single person has ever once guessed that I was homeschooled. TO them, I was another public schooler. We are very much normal. I am comparing that homeschooling is better. If you want to say that my argument is invalid cause they aren't at all the same situations, then you shouldn't have taken this debate. This is a comparison of which is better. Homeschooling statistics are better and until you find some statistics to say other wise, mine are standing. The tests that I got my statistics all ensured (as far as I can tell and I know at least 2 are) that the students came from the same background, same community, close to the same income, but that they were only really different in how they were schooled. You posted very little facts in this. Your website is intriguing but makes generalizations. I don't have a track I can run on. I just run around the neighborhood after having measured it and found it to be a mile distance. I just go to the park to practice cross country. What homeschoolers don't have, we make up for. If we want to go to a gym, we go to a gym. We want to swim, we find a place to swim. One of the disadvantages was patience but that isn't a problem with homeschooling, that is a character issue with the parent. You can't count that against us. I at this point, have a little over 100 characters so:
I have shown that homeschooling is better. That our grades are good AND we can uphold a social life similar to that of a public schooler's life.

i. Wikipedia is a fair source to use in informal debates like these. Wikipedia is not a valid source to cite for professional input or opinion, but I only cited it for statistics (for which they provide references). I hope potential voters consider this, despite the fact that I have refrained from all-caps-ing it.

I. My opponent's personal experience is again discounted. You are either clearly above average intelligence or have an above average intelligence homeschool teacher. This does not indicate general results. In fact, it clearly does the opposite. If you claim that even the degree holding teachers at public schools are unqualified, then why should the average American parent be any different? I suggest that you would notice results skewed in the opposite direction. Perhaps homeschooling was most beneficial in your unique situation, but your premise suggests that we are seeking for the best system for universal education.

II. My opponent clearly misunderstands my definition of financial security. Middle class is most certainly financially secure. It is, after all, the middle class- meaning that while there is room for financial growth, there is some security or level of attainment. For families who are not as fortunate as my opponent, homeschooling is simply not possible.

Conclusion: I have kept my final rebuttal brief, as my opponent has failed to offer any indication that homeschooling can function better than public schooling. In a Utopian society where everyone has stable families and homes, perhaps homeschooling is a method of education we could consider for universal application. However, it is not possible. This is why the public schools exist to begin with. Most parents are not qualified to teach, and many are not even home enough to.

I have shown the necessity of maintaining public schooling while my opponent has only shown very selective situational benefits of homeschooling. As such, you must vote Con.

Thanks again for the debate Pro. It has been a pleasure.
Posted by Lt.Harris 2 years ago
It doesn't matter what your contention is. What matters is what was set by the instigator. My contention is that, no matter the starting point, if better results are produced than something is better.
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
I think you misunderstand my contention Lt.Harris- what you are claiming is that Crossfit is better than The Biggest Loser. Of course Crossfit produces better results- the users begin with an already clear advantage. For the common man or a generally functional system however, the Biggest Loser would be best and is in fact universally beneficial.
Posted by Lt.Harris 2 years ago
I would also like to state that the statistics I had did in fact show that homeschooling can be better than public school and you provided zero statistics at all.
Posted by Lt.Harris 2 years ago
Ah, you did use one source but that provided little to no facts in it.
Posted by Lt.Harris 2 years ago
You have completely failed to understand that I am not debating based on which should be implemented but I am debating on if it is better. You provided ZERO sources and facts supporting anything you said. It doesn't matter if people without financial security can't homeschool, the fact is that homeschoolers still have better national averages.
Vote Placed by Christian_Debater 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This was difficult to judge. For conduct I gave it to Con because of Pro?s outburst on Wikipedia. Spelling and grammar I gave it a tie because both were pretty much the same. As for most convincing arguments, I am in a hard situation. For example, Pro proved that homeschooling is better. It has the statistics to prove it. As much as I agree with Con on public schooling, I was initially giving this to Pro. When we think of homeschooling vs public schooling, we have to think which is doing a better job? Apparently, it is homeschooling. However, there is a reason I gave this to Con. Con?s source shows how not everyone can afford homeschooling, as well as how it isn?t available for everyone. Moreover, how public schooling is a necessity. Some people who have the educational backgrounds and resources can afford home schooling, but then as Con stated, what about the poor who cannot? As for most reliable sources, I gave it a tie. Both were about the same level of reliability.