TheDecisionMaker
TuracoPersa

Homeschooling effects social skills negatively

TheDecisionMaker

Pro

I will be debating that Homeschooling takes a negative effect on a kids social skills
My opponent will have to debate saying that homeschooling takes a positive effect

My opening argument:
I believe homeschooling will strongly effect social skills. If saying that if the child is homeschooled, this will help prevent bullying, exclusion and other related things. But look at this the other way, if a kid goes to school and he/she gets bullied or gets picked on, he/she will naturally react. Depending on the type of person, either they will tell an adult or even start fighting back in some cases. Some things should be experienced in life, I have been bullied and I think everyone in one point of their life have been bullied. But if I get bullied again I know how to handle the situation, me myself I start to fight back and it's all good! They aren't going to be fighting with me for a while. This is like hitting another car for the first time, you don't know how to react, you're scared, tensed and you get all the feels. But after a couple of hits and bumps, even though you are a bit worried, you know how to handle the situation. If a child is homeschooled, and goes out to the REAL world, he/she may not know how to react to day to day situations. And this can be even more dangerous as the kid gets older. The kid that's homeschooled can even be easy to fool compared to other kids. Thank you
TuracoPersa

Con

I accept! Good luck to you Pro.

Because the resolution is a bit vague, I will offer a clarification. Feel free to contest my clarification. I will argue that under ordinary circumstances, homeschooling (as opposed to conventional public schooling) will likely have a positive effect on social skills. These arguments might not apply to all types of people or in all societies, but should apply to the most common types of people in most modern Western societies. Also, there is always the possibility that rare chance events will occur that will change a person's outcome in unpredictable ways, and I cannot account for these.

I first want to point out that "homeschooling" does not mean that a child stays at home all day. It only means that she does not go to school. Most of the time, homeschoolers spend a significant amount of time outside the home -- at friends' houses, libraries, parks, museums -- often doing activities in groups with other homeschoolers. Therefore it is not a question of whether a child spends time with other people or not, it is a question of what is the quality of the time she is spending with other people.

You argue that in homeschooling, a child will not encounter bullying and thus will not learn how to deal with bullying. There is an implicit assumption here that in the "real world" bullying is something that people in general must deal with. But this is not the case. Bullying is a problem in schools because the children being bullied have nowhere else to go. A child is required to go to the same school every day, and see the same people, no matter how bad the situation gets. Bullies know this and take advantage of it. In the "real world," an adult who is bullied can always quit his job and get a new one, or leave whatever environment he is in and find a new one. Thanks to this fact of life, bullies never last long, because they quickly find themselves without anyone to bully.

A homeschooling environment resembles the "real world" much more closely than does a conventional public school. That is, there is nowhere that a homeschooler is required to go, and anywhere he does go he can stop going at anytime. This sort of freedom will adequately prepare him for an adult life in which he will experience the same freedoms. At the same time, he will avoid harmful situations such as bullying, which no one should ever have to endure.
TheDecisionMaker

Pro

TheDecisionMaker forfeited this round.
TuracoPersa

Con

Well done sir.
TheDecisionMaker

Pro

TheDecisionMaker forfeited this round.
TuracoPersa

Con

TuracoPersa forfeited this round.
Posted by InsaneSanity 1 year ago
InsaneSanity
Despite the whole bogus "character building" reasons that some people say make bullying good, I am living proof that it is not. If I hadn't been homeschooled I would likely have become one of those kids selling drugs or something, because of a chain of events that was already decently far in at grade 3 that would take too long to repeat here.
Posted by Longline 1 year ago
Longline
I strongly disagree with you