Homeschooling is a viable means of education.

I will be arguing that homeschooling is viable means of education. I am for/pro.

Round 1: Agreement
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals

Please do not have rebuttals in round 2.

Home school:

To teach your children at home instead of sending them to a school. [1]

I look forward to debating!

I accept, I personally know a lot of people who are home schooled, but I feel public/private schooling is better then it.

1. Homeschooling creates higher test scores.
In 1997 a study called "Strengths of Their Own: Homeschoolers across America," was released. One of the things it showed was that, on average, home schooled students out did there public school counterparts by 30 to 37 percentile points on all subjects. [1]
Another important finding was that the race of the student does not make any difference. There was not a significant difference between minority and white homeschooled students. For example, in grades K-12, both white and minority students scored, on average, in the 87th percentile. In math, whites scored in the 82nd percentile while minorities scored in the 77th percentile. In the public schools there was a much greater contrast. White public school eighth grade students, scored the 58th percentile in math and the 57th percentile in reading. Black eighth grade students scored, on average, at the 24th percentile in math and the 28th percentile in reading. Hispanics scored at the 29th percentile in math and the 28th percentile in reading. [2]
Another finding was that, on average, the cost per homeschooled student was $546 per year. The average cost per a public school student was $5,325. [3]

This is my only main argument, but I have included a group of facts about homeschooling that do not fit into categories.

1. The growing number of students being homeschooled is influencing the American Education system and saving taxpayers between $4.4 billion and $9.9 billion in instructional costs per year. [4]
2. In 2004, Dr. Paul Jones and Dr. Gene Gloeckner published an evaluation of first-year college performance of homeschoolers and public school students. It concluded that, on average, homeschooled students did as well, if not better, on college preparatory exams and first-year grade point averages. [5]
3. Homeschooling parents are more likely to have with a college degree than the general population. [6]
4. There are not many other students around so it usually eliminates peer pressure, bullying, violence. [Common Sense]

I look forward to your arguments!

Homeschooling may produce better results in collage and secondary schools, but home school kids are less social and less interactive then public school kids. One major difference between homeschooling and public schooling is that in public schools, the students interact with hundreds of other people. Home-schooled kids only interact with who is teaching them.

I said I do know some home-schooled kids, and I will be using them as my resources in explaining why public schooling is better.

I am good friends with about 5 home-schooled kids and one of my best friends was home-schooled until the third grade. My best friend had a really hard time adjusting to public school then home-schooled. He had a very hard time making friends, and in-fact, I was his first true friend in public-school. Soon I started meeting other kids who were also home-schooled. One of them goes to my church. He never really talks very much. The other 3 only hang out with other kids who are home-schooled themselves. They do play a part in their church, yet they only stick in their group.

They are good people, but their social skills are "lacking" compared to public schooled me, and my public-schooled friends. The reason for this is because these kids stay home all day and don't go out and interact with other people. True they may interact with kids in Church groups, or at jobs, but its only to a minimal extent. Public Schooled kids go out and interact with hundreds of other people every day for a max of 13 years.

While Homeschooling may produce better grades, the students social life wont be as great as a kid who was Public Schooled.

First, before I go, I will say that you could easily be lying about this, but I will take your word for it. Also you are right when saying that public-schooled children generally are around lots more kids, but quality over quantity.
"Home-schooled kids only interact with who is teaching them."
You are only talking about when the parent is actually teaching the child. What you are missing out on is all of the other times when the child learns, sports teams, music lessons, church, homeschool groups, relatives, etc.
You are talking about a small fraction of their life.
"I am good friends with about 5 home-schooled kids and one of my best friends was home-schooled until the third grade."
Are you trying to use 5 children as an example for the 1.5 to 1.7 million children who are homeschooled. [1] That is like me using 20 children as an example for the millions of children in public school.
"The other 3 only hang out with other kids who are home-schooled themselves. They do play a part in their church, yet they only stick in their group."
Maybe they just like to hang out with those people? Maybe they are that person"s best friends? I only stick to my group of friends, does that mean I don"t have social skills? No.
What is the definition of socialize?
2. To make fit for companionship with others; make sociable. [2]
The definition of socialization is not being put in a building with hundreds of other people. It is to fit for companionship with others. The children you are talking about, even though they only hang out with a few people, fit the definition.

"They are good people, but their social skills are "lacking" compared to public schooled me, and my public-schooled friends. The reason for this is because these kids stay home all day and don't go out and interact with other people."
What is "interacting with people"? Well it means:
Verb1.interact - act together or towards others or with others; "He should interact more with his colleagues" [3]

If that is the definition, than he sure is interacting with people. He is interacting with his parents, relatives, his friends, friends" family, acquaintances, people he sees on the street, etc.
Think of this: it is your summer, and you have just gotten out of school. Do you never leave your house, and only see your family for the entire summer?
Also I would like to point out that in homeschooling, the people they interacts with people of all ages. Their friends may be their age, but the people they typically meet usually are all ages.
Also I would like to point out again that, there are usually homeschool groups where kids and parents can go and meet other children, go on field trips, hang out with friends, etc. [4]

Well 3 out of 5 of them are only-child, so siblings would not really count.

Now for my rebuttal:

1. Home Schooled Kids are better at subjects:
This is a bit tricky. While it may be a better learning environment, it is all about what the teacher/ computer program teaches. If the teacher can only teach, say math, at a regular level, then that student would be on the same level as a public-schooled student in regular math. The students in the survey would have been on an Advanced Placement level compared to Public Schooled Kids, but not all home-school teachers are at an AP level in the subject.

2. Race does not matter when Home-schooled:
While race in this environment does not matter, we have to take in the account of the sad truth about how whites are slightly favored for jobs then any other race. A black home-schooled student might be one of the best students in his collage, but he would sadly loose a job out to a white student (who would probably be public schooled) who was at least equal to him.

3. Homeschooling is cheaper:
It may be a cheaper cost, but yet the work needed to home-school a child is a lot more then sending them off to public school. True, programs out there make it easier, but the criteria for the program school might require work by the parent.

Now your other facts.

1. I guess that is a good point, got nothing to say for that.

2. This is only for tests. A better study would have been to ask the child if they had an easy time with socialization and collage life along with the test scores.

3. Most of the parents would need a collage degree to even teach their child.

4. Yet when they encounter bullying and peer pressure, they don't know how to respond because they never encountered it before.

Thank You for arguing, and may the best man win.
Vote Placed by Themba 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was for semantics. The rebuttals made by pro on interaction and socialization were on the basis of semantics, instead of rebutting Con's stance, Pro switched the definition to nullify Con's case. Arguments easily Pro because Con's argument may be prone to selective memory bias, even if his case holds at face assessment, Pro provided a more compelling case than Con as Pro used studies and evidences and statistics to back Pro's case. All con argued was based on 5 children. 5 children is barely representative to the whole population. In contrast, Pro's case consist of quantitative statistics, of which contain higher amount of sample. Thus, Pro wins this due to the 'reliability' of Pro's argument as compared with Con.