IceeeStorm1816
hallonkatastrof

Homeschooling is better than Public School

IceeeStorm1816

Pro

I, IceeeStorm1816, will be taking the pro side of this argument.

73% of homeschooling parents said that displeasure with our schooling system is one of the reasons why they homeschool. With homeschooling, you get more freedom, more options, and more opportunities. One of the most common myths about homeschoolers is that they have little or no "social skills." Studies have proven that homeschoolers actually outscore public schoolers in not only socialization, but also in daily living, communication, and maturity.
hallonkatastrof

Con

The first thing I want to point out is that you claim that 73% of all home schooling parents say that "displeasure with our schooling system is one of the reasons why they home school", without directing me, or anyone else, to any sort of source for you statement. Then, after this, you claim that studies show that "homeschoolers outscore public" etc., and you don't provide a source once again. How big was the study? Where was it conducted? By who? When? You arguments become useless until such information is provided.

That being said, I fully agree that home schooling gives you more options, opportunities and potentially more freedom, however I assume that these will depend on who teaches you. Neither do I disagree with that home-schooled children don't lack social skills. However, school is an important place for a child to get friends and discover who they are.
Also, home schooling creates bigger gaps in society. Unless you want to fund this publicly, only children with well paid parents are given this opportunity. Is that equality? Instead of focusing on this, public schools should be improved.
IceeeStorm1816

Pro

First, I would like thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Second, I would like to express my apologies for accidentally posting my argument without bibliography. In answer to your question, the source I used for my previous argument was:

https://www.home-school.com...

I will now continue with this debate.

These are my three points that I will be using for the argument:

1. Homeschooling gives you more freedom.
2. Homeschooling gives you more options.
3. Homeschooling gives you more opportunities.

I will start the first round by only using my first point.

-Point 1- HOMESCHOOLING GIVES YOU MORE FREEDOM.

With homeschooling, you are free to:

a. Customize your child's education.
b. Use your own teaching methods.
c. Teach at the pace that is best for your child.

-Supporting Proof A- YOU ARE FREE TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR CHILD'S EDUCATION WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

In public schools, you are not free to choose the curriculum. You use the school's choice, and if it's not right for you, then you can't do anything about it. When you homeschool, the parents are free to choose the curriculum that fits your learning style. All children are different. Some children are visual learners, some are audial learners, but all deserve the right kind of curriculum for their personal benefit. There are hundreds of different curriculums out there, for each subject. Homeschoolers can even pick and choose the subjects they want to learn. If your child would succeed better in life by studying latin instead of spanish, that option is available. The options are limitless.

-Supporting Proof B- YOU ARE FREE TO USE YOUR OWN TEACHING METHODS WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

As reported by the U.S Department of Education, over 2 million students are affected with learning disabilities. This includes dyslexia, discalculia, and dysgraphia. Learning disabilities such as these make it extremely difficult to learn in public school environment. This causes students much stress, making it quite difficult, if not impossible, for them to excel at their studies. Homeschooling parents are free to study at the method best for their child. There are many books written about how to teach students that have learning disabilities, such as dyslexia. Being at home, and having your own mom or dad teaching you will cut down the child's stress level, and it will be easier for them to learn. They might even be more willing to learn.

-Supporting Proof C- YOU ARE FREE TO TEACH AT THE PACE THAT IS BEST FOR YOUR CHILD WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

Public schools will only allow children to learn at their grade level, which will be determined by their age. If you are a 11-year-old student, you will be placed in the 5th grade. You will be learning 5th grade math, 5th grade english, 5th grade reading....et cetera. Even if you could read and understand college-level reading material, you would still have to learn at the pace of a regular 11-year-old. Even if you were slow at figures, and only understood math at a 3rd grade level, you would be forced to do 5th grade math. This frustrates students who are capable of so much more, and puts stress on students who are incapable of progressing at a normal pace. Homeschooling parents may teach their child at different grade levels for every subject, so the child can learn at the pace that is best for them, which will benefit them so much more in the future.

My opponent stated in his argument that he "assumed" that the effectiveness of homeschooling will depend on your teacher. I would like to rebut his statement with this quote:

"Homeschooling and public schooling are as opposite as two sides of a coin. In a homeschooling environment, the teacher need not be certified, but the child MUST learn. In a public school environment, the teacher MUST be certified, but the child need NOT learn." - Gene Royer

Nobody is perfect. Homeschooling parents are most certainly not perfect. They will make mistakes, but the real issue is whether the child is getting the proper education they need to succeed in life.

https://www.classicalconversations.com...

https://www.understood.org...

https://www.goodreads.com...
hallonkatastrof

Con

I will start off by countering my opponents points (point 1) and follow by presenting my three points to strengthen my argument.

1.a: Although you will be given the opportunity to adapt the curriculum, it's hard for a parent to match the nationally recognized curriculum with examinations and accreditation, no matter how many are available. Furthermore, a flexible schedule may lack structure and cause problems for the family.
It also puts a lot of pressure on the parent who not only has to choose which schedule they think will be best for their child, and their child's entire future. They will also have to research these subjects enough to be comfortable to teach it and answer potential questions.
1.b + c: It's very time consuming for parents to be their children's teachers, and not all are fit to teach. If a parent fail to create a proper schedule for their child, the child may blame the parent for their frustration. This may put a strain on the relationship between parent and child.

I will now state my points to strengthen my argument:
1. Home schooling isolates the child.
2. Home schooling causes stress withing family and for the parent.
3. Home schooled children do not get certified teachers and can be taught plain wrong information.
4. If home schooling becomes more popular public schools will loose funding.

I, too, will proceed to use only one point.

As I argued in my opening statement, I agree that home schooled children probably won't suffer social difficulties, but they will be left out of opportunities to interact with other children. Instead of being surrounded by children their own age, home schooled children rarely see other children during their weekdays. They will miss out on the schools field trips, events, sports practices etc. Of course, they can do this with the parent, but they will still be unable to experience it with other children their age. Also, as any other activity that challenges mainstream thinking, you child may be seen as an oddity to other children, especially at a young age.

Like anything else, home schooling has both pros and cons. However, the cons weigh more in this particular case if you ask me.
IceeeStorm1816

Pro

Like my opponent, I will begin with rebuttals and then move on to my previous points two and three.

-Rebuttals-

1. Homeschooling does not isolate children, it gives them more free time to be around other children. It is true that public schoolers have the opportunity to be around other children their age on a daily basis. What we have to consider is whether or not that is a good thing. For instance, if a public-schooled child does not like his/her other classmates, or maybe he/she doesn't fit in well, this could damage any hope of the child finding any friends or acquaintances. Homeschoolers get the chance to interact with hundreds of other homeschoolers their age, older, or younger. For public-schooled children, this can be seen as awkward and unnatural. It's debatable whether or not being around the same children almost every day for a long period of time could damage the child's socialization skills even more than what my opponent might call a "homeschooler's social life", which is only seeing children every couple of days. Public schoolers, whether they like it or not, are going to have to see other children their own age every weekday in the colder seasons. Homeschoolers get the choice whether or not they want to see other children their own age. They have more freedom to go out and meet someone "from scratch", rather than almost being forced to be friends with their classmates. This prepares homeschoolers more for life, because in the real world if you want to have friends, you have to go out and get them yourself.

I will now restate my main points.

I will now use points two and three for my argument.

-Point 2- HOMESCHOOLING GIVES YOU MORE OPTIONS.

When you homeschool, the choices are limitless. You can:

a. Spend more time teaching valuable life skills.
b. Gain more family togetherness.
c. Use free time to do more important things.

-Supporting Proof A- YOU CAN SPEND MORE TIME TEACHING VALUABLE LIFE SKILLS WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

Since homeschoolers are not at school all day, they often end up helping their parents run errands. A trip to the grocery store is almost like a "field trip" for homeschoolers, since parents can teach their kids about that particular thing. Children can benefit so much in the future just by something like helping their mom prepare breakfast, or accompanying their dad on a trip to the bank. Even at an early age, homeschoolers can know more than most public schoolers in just a few weeks.

-Supporting Proof B- YOU CAN GAIN MORE FAMILY TOGETHERNESS WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

Homeschoolers spend almost all day with their families because their parents are the ones that teach them. This develops a strengthens the relationship between them, and helps build character. Getting to know your sibling(s) and parents is never a bad thing. It will definitely help you as your parents are the ones who will be your main supporters through life. Public schoolers rarely get to see their families, especially if they do extra activities after school such as sports. Not getting the chance to get to know your family on a personal level can give you great disadvantages later in life.

-SUPPORTING PROOF C- YOU CAN USE FREE TIME TO DO MORE IMPORTANT THINGS WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

A public schooler's free time on weekdays consists of meals, homework, studying, and sleep. There is practically never any time to just relax and be a kid. A homeschooler, however, has loads of free time on their hands. Being at their own house doing school motivates children, and can even help them do better at their studies. I agree that homework is important, but I also think that being at school all day and then coming home at night just to get a head start on their homework does not motivate children as much as it should. A homeschooling parent has a choice whether or not they want to even assign their child homework. Some homeschooled children are busy enough doing things that are just as important, such as volunteer work and babysitting. If you go to a public school, and you are so busy that you can't get your homework done, your grade will simply go down, and there is nothing you can do about it. A parent does not have to assign homework, and this will not affect their child's grade at all.

-Point 3- HOMESCHOOLING GIVES YOU MORE OPPORTUNITIES.

Homeschooled children gain many opportunities, such as:

a. Better chances at getting admitted into a good college.
b. Standing out in college admissions.
c. Start earning college credits earlier.

-Supporting Proof A- YOU GAIN THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET BETTER CHANCES OF ADMISSION INTO COLLEGE WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

20 years ago, it was hard for homeschoolers to get admitted into college. Our modern times have now made it easy for homeschoolers to get into college. In fact, a lot of difficult colleges such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Duke are now welcoming homeschoolers with open arms. They are beginning to recognize that homeschoolers are way more prepared for college than public schoolers. Homeschoolers beat all with their GPAs in their freshman and senior year of college with scores of 3.37 GPAs to 3.08 GPAs in the first semester and 3.41 to 3.12 in their senior year.

-Supporting Proof B- YOU GAIN THE OPPORTUNITY TO STAND OUT IN COLLEGE ADMISSIONS WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

In more of the popular colleges, where acceptance rate is low and it is hard to stand out among everyone else, a homeschooler almost automatically stands out. They are the oddballs, which might seem like a bad thing, but when you are actually trying to gain attention to yourself, it turns into a great advantage. Homeschoolers are also outscoring public schoolers on their ACT/SATs as well, which is also a bonus, with an average of 22.5 points on the ACT for homeschoolers, 20.8 for everybody else. The homeschoolers win again with the SATs as well, with 1092 points for the homeschooled children, and 1020 for the others. This helps homeschoolers stand out even more, considering that excelling at the ACTs and SATs is required if you want to get into a good college.

-Supporting Proof C- YOU GAIN THE OPPORTUNITY TO START EARNING COLLEGE CREDITS EARLIER WITH HOMESCHOOLING.

Since children who are homeschooled have their education tailored for them so that they can work faster than public schooled children, homeschoolers naturally have more credits when they enter into college than public schoolers. This saves money, time, and effort, which is key to having a good experience in college. The average homeschooler enters college with 14.7 credits, and the average public schooler only enters with 6.0.

"I believe it would be much better for everyone if children were given their start in education at home. No one understands a child as well as his mother, and children are so different that they need individual training and study. A teacher with a room full of pupils cannot do this. At home, too, they are in their mother"s care. She can keep them from learning immoral things from other children." ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

This quote basically sums up what homeschoolers gain. I believe that an education at home, especially when taught by your own parents, is the best education that a child could receive. I also believe that almost any homeschooler would agree.

http://www.onlinecollege.org...

http://www.onlinecollege.org...

http://www.hslda.org...

http://www.raisesmartkid.com...

http://www.heritage.org...
hallonkatastrof

Con

hallonkatastrof forfeited this round.
Posted by IceeeStorm1816 1 year ago
IceeeStorm1816
I forgot one source for my argument. I used this source for the quote at the end of my argument for round 3:

http://www.famoushomeschoolers.net...
Posted by hallonkatastrof 1 year ago
hallonkatastrof
I realize that I too made the mistake of forgetting to cite my sources (this is certainly awkward). I will cite them here and in the next argument:
http://www.getrichslowly.org...
http://school.familyeducation.com...
http://www.homeschool-companion.com...
http://www.homeschool-companion.com...
My apologies.
Posted by IceeeStorm1816 1 year ago
IceeeStorm1816
My severe apologies to my opponent and to all who viewed this debate. I forgot to cite my source on my first argument, but I made amends by citing it on my second argument. Please accept my apologies, and forget that it ever happened.
Posted by hallonkatastrof 1 year ago
hallonkatastrof
I accept this debate