Kate.22
Logic_on_rails

Homeschooling is better than public school.

Logic_on_rails

Kate.22

Pro

I am here to prove my point as personal views i am currently in homeschooling and i have attended public schools. I believe home-schools better.
Logic_on_rails

Con

To voters, I understand this is an easy defeat of a new person. Still, I was challenged to this debate, so I feel obliged to reply.

BOP is shared. Since it;s only half an hour for each round, let's get started.

Arguments for public schooling:

Socialisation

While not easily quantifiable, social skills, communicative skills and the like are invaluable to a student, and ought to be the a part of an education. It's not that it's impossible to garner these skills in part at home, but public school forces a degree of socialisation. By mandating socialisation public schools prevent isolation, which can be detrimental. Also, going to a public school gives a common ground for discussions with others - you attend the same school, have the same memories etc. This builds stronger foundations for friendships, as well as giving you a better chance with connections. You can talk more easily when you have commond ground, and part of this common ground is public schooling.

Teaching and specialisation

At school you have certified, professional teachers. Now, I'm not saying that they are perfect, but at the very least they can teach better than a busy adult. That's right - those who homeschool their children are giving up potentially productive working time, and failing to contribute to the economy. Want a slightly better economy? Vote public schooling over homeschooling.

But back to professional. Schools enforce a standard of learning through measures such as exams. They make you learn crucial fundamental skills. Now, I'm not about to make the case that these are all critical. They are not. However, at times we need control exerted over children in order to get them to do things. Freedom is a good thing, can be great for a child, yet sometimes we need a more forceful, authoritative style. Public schooling achieves this mix in teaching style better than homeschooling, with homeschooling tending more to one extreme or the other.

Multiculturalism and diversity

In a home setting you've got a very monocultural environment. You aren't exposed to other ways and views. This isn't to say that there is necessarily a gigantic gap between cultures, but it's important to be exposed to other ways nonetheless.

For instance, my school has a non english speaking background of approximately 70% . That promotes diveristy and acceptance of other cultures; you can't very well adopt acceptance of only your own culture, lest you be barely a minority.

I know the above arguments don't hold a candle to a proper debate. The above is 15 minutes completely off the top of my head with no preparation. Nevertheless, let's see what Pro does...

Kate.22

Pro

Kate.22 forfeited this round.
Logic_on_rails

Con

My opponent has forfeited... as in her previous debate.

Extend all arguments. Conduct to me obviously.
Kate.22

Pro

Kate.22 forfeited this round.
Logic_on_rails

Con

Another forfeit. Again, extend all arguments.

Voters, it's crystal clear that I ought to get the conduct and arguments votes. Easy Con win. Thanks to voters in advance for voting - their time could have been better used, and I feel compelled to give them some compensation in the form of thanks.
Posted by famer 4 years ago
famer
LOL @ the comment below.
Posted by Logic_on_rails 4 years ago
Logic_on_rails
You forfeited every round against Famer. This isn't worth my time except to improve my ranking by a 'win' .
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago
famer
Kate.22Logic_on_railsTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. All of CON's arguments were left unrefuted. Clear win to CON.
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
Kate.22Logic_on_railsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro, and only Con gave an argument.
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Kate.22Logic_on_railsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was the only one to present a real argument. Pro loses conduct for forfeits (and wasting my valuable, valuable time) and S/G for inferior spelling and grammar.