Homeschooling is not bad to do

First of all, I was homeschooled and now I'm in regular school. When I transferred to regular school from homeschooling I thought that I would struggle in it. It turned out that I did completely fine! I now have all A's in all classes, expect for History, which is my favourite subject. And I am doing well period.

My argument is that many people, NOT ALL, tend to think homeschooling deprives a child from social interaction. Homeschooling, itself, doesn't, it depends on whether the parents chooses not to let the child socially interact with others. And in most cases, homeschoolers are just as social as regular schoolers.

My friend at school said homeschooling doesn't teach you everything and is not essential. (He's a smart-Alec) He said, "Parents can't teach you through highschool" Well they can if they want! Then he said to me "You weren't homeschooled Freshman year" and I said "yes!" "Yes I was"! My teacher defended me and homeschoolers to say that he homeschooled his kids until highschool and they are just as smart.
The teacher also said, "If a homeschooler is taught 4 hours of school every day, with focus, he may be ahead of a lot of kids in regular school. While in regular school, the average attention span for each student is 20 minutes of more. At the end of the year, the homeschooler will have possibly learned more"

And with the social interaction, I was in Boy Scouts, Sea Scouts and did community service, which all added up, helped me "exist" my shell and come out more. (More out going) Boy Scout camp helped me a lot as well.

I know 4 homeschoolers who are extremely out going and then there are kids at my school who seem terrified when I say hi or even bump into seem accidentally.
So to say, homeschoolers are socially deprived is false.

ALSO, I was in the National Honour Society and my friend who was skeptical about homeschooling said that I have "changed [his] views on homeschooling"

Homeschooling is not bad

When writing, please explain your opinions clearly
No swearing, curing or using profane words
Please spell the best you can
Organize your debate with paragraphs. Do NOT type in one big monster paragraph. I detest reading stuff like that.
Make sure to capitalize letters, including I's.

And can someone tell me how to vote? When ever I am done with my debate, it says, "Vote here!" I vote, type in a little message and the button I am suppose to click doesn't work! IT's impossible to vote here!
So if I never vote, don't' take it personally. I do not how. Haha.

Thank you for accepting this debate, if you have done so, and I look forward to this civilized debate!

NOTE: Firstly, I would like to point out that my opponent uses no evidence, other than personal experience to back up their argument. Also, I aim to prove that home schooling is negative for most children, for a wide variety of reasons, not just social deprivation. Home schooling, if done correctly, has the potential to be a positive thing; however, since it is so widely abused, I have concluded that it is generally not a good option.

Opponent's Arguments

"If kids are taught 4 hours of school every day, with focus, they may be ahead of a lot of kids in regular school."
This is not always the case. I personally know many homeschoolers who feel behind because their parents didn't teach them everything they need to know. Home schooling does provide for a flexible schedule, but if the parents and the kids don't take it seriously, it becomes easy to take advantage of the flexibility and not get as much work done.

"So to say homeschoolers are are socially deprived is false."
I would agree. I don't think that most homeschoolers are deprived of social activities. However, the social activities they participate in are often very different from the social activities kids who participate in public school. In the words of Sarah from Homeschoolers Anonymous (1) "I was raised in a family where homeschooling wasn’t just the preferred method of education, but the only right one. Other than AYSO soccer, I had no social contact outside of church, family, and the homeschool umbrella group until I went to community college. This was when I discovered that I was socially retarded (yes that’s a technical term)." Did Sarah have social interaction? Yes. Was it all positive? No. Sarah goes on to say, "The truth is if you shelter your kids from ‘the real world’ they are going to wonder what you are keeping from them and many will run at the first chance they get."

"I know 4 homeschoolers who are extremely out going..."
Here my opponent covers the argument of homeschoolers feeling "socially awkward" when switching from homeschool to regular school. Look to the fact that this is only four homeschoolers. First off, students often have trouble making friends as they go through this transition. In a PBS article, Kenneth Bernstein, a high school government and social studies teacher in Prince George’s County, Maryland, said he estimates that about half of his previously homeschooled students experience some difficulties in adjusting. Bernstien goes on to say that this is not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that often former homeschoolers have not been exposed to opposing viewpoints. This can make them feel clueless of isolated (2). Most students aren't going to be homeschooled forever. Eventually they will have to transition to a public school or to a college. Often times because of they way they are taught, homeschooling actually harms them.

"ALSO, I was in the National Honour Society and my friend who was skeptical about homeschooling said that I have changed [his] views on homeschooling."
One example does not prove that the majority of home school students are successful. Using such logic, I could claim that because I am in the National Honor Society and I go to public school, public school is good.

My Arguments

Qualification of the parent to teach:
What makes someone a qualified teacher? Washington State defines a qualified teacher as this: "Someone who holds at least a bachelor degree from a four-year institution, is fully certificated or lisenced by the state, and demonstrates competence in eacher core academic subject area that a teacher teaches." (1) In public school, students will be getting education from such teachers. Now take a look at the qualifications a parent needs to teach their child: Psycology Today notes that most states require the teaching parent to have a highschool diploma. In some states, there are absolutely no qualifications. In fact, only one state requires a college degree that doesn't even have to be in education (2). Take a look at this chart from NCES:
Statistics of the education of homeschooling parents.
This diagram shows us that 61.1% of all parents who homeschool their kids are do not have a degree. The other 38.9% do have degrees, but there is no way to ensure their degrees are in teaching. The impact here is that students are being taught by illqualified individuals who simply do not have the ability to teach them the things they need to know.

Looking at the other side- actual reasons for homeschooling: I think one of the major questions asked about homeschooling is: Why exactly do parents homeschool?
Religion: This one is especially a big deal. Here's why it is wrong to pull a child out of public school for religious reasons. The child will recieve a highly biased education. Generally if a parents wants to homeschool their child for religious reasons, they will do it early on. Here's the problem. If a child is taught by a religious curriculum, they will most likely be blind to a lot of important issues. Look to the PBS evidence I listed earlier. Often homeschooled kids are oblivious to opposing viewpoints. Parents who are homeschooling for religious reasons can often shelter their children a little too much. A lot of christian homeschooling programs have been considered "cults." Take a look at ATI (Advanced Training Institute- Equiping Youth and Families to do Great Works!!) Homeschoolers Anonymous contains a huge amount of testimonies from children that participated in the program. Essentially ATI is a cult. In the words of a regretful mother, "We are still working through the damage caused by those many years in ATI." (3) Of course, there are many secular homeschoolers. With this argument I simply aim to give you, as a reader, a glimpse of what religious homeschooling can do. Many kids involved in such programs end up rebelling which is exactly the opposite of what the programs intend to make kids do.
The School Environment: Many parents want to "protect" their kids from the negative homeschool environment. As I've said before: you can't shelter kids forever. Eventually they will have to move into the real world. Look to the mutiple examples I've given of homeschoolers who didn't know what to do when they moved to public school or college.

How the student feels: Take a look at this chart from a survey taken from Homeschoolers Anonymous

This chart shows that most homeschool students in the lower class have experienced some form of abuse. The statistics are actually similar with the middle class and the higher class (5). Homeschoolers anonymous notes that when surveys from homeschoolers of all classes were averaged together, the score was a 3.06, just barely at the medium score of "so-so."

"This is not always the case. I personally know many homeschoolers who feel behind because their parents didn't teach them everything they need to know. Home schooling does provide for a flexible schedule, but if the parents and the kids don't take it seriously, it becomes easy to take advantage of the flexibility and not get as much work done. "

Yes, true. You know how many homeschooled kids who have fell behind? I would like a number, s'il vous plait.
But if, yes, but if the parents don't take it seriously, will the child not get a proper education. More than likely, a parent who is going to teach a child themselves will try to do the best job they can.
You go by the small number of people you know who weren't taught properly by parents and some how think ALL homeschoolers are like that.

"However, the social activities they participate in are often very different from the social activities kids who participate in public school" Just wrong. I'm sorry but are you saying Boy Scouts of America is not as "good" as PUBLIC school? Serious?
You think Boy Scouts or even Sea Scouts is worse than, let's say, a chess club in school? No. They BOTH are good and beneficial.

""The truth is if you shelter your kids from "the real world" they are going to wonder what you are keeping from them and many will run at the first chance they get." "
You think having your kid participate in Boy Scouts is sheltering them from the "real" world? I am getting a bit offended here
Having participated and being a part of Boy Scouts, was the best decision I have ever made. I am now an Eagle Scout, by the way.

You also mention how homeschooled kids will not make friends when transitioning to highschool. Not true. I made 3 friends, almost on the 3rd day of school. However, I was very lucky. Or was I? AS I SAID, BOY SCOUTS HAS HELPED ME IN THAT.

The rest you have to say is irrelevant.

That chart, is it implying that 66% Homeschoolers are emotionally abused? Because I was never abused. And all homeschoolers I know were not either.

At first when I joined Highschool, I WAS TERRIFIED. But about after a year of school, I was used to it. I made tons of friends and got Honor Roll. It took less than a year, YES, but I did it. Kids who transfer from homeschool to regular school will or not struggle. But it is on THEM to try to cope with it and do the best. Which most do and will.

I AM still upset how you some how think PUBLIC school social clubs are better than THE Boy Scouts of America. Don't get it.

All in all, homeschool is and can be good for children. It all depends on if the parent(s) want to teach them right. Just because some of the few friends of yours were homeschooled and turned out bad, doesn't mean they are ALL that way.
You have generalized there.

"The biggest problem is that often former homeschoolers have not been exposed to opposing viewpoints. This can make them feel clueless of isolated"

False. What do you mean by that? That homeschoolers do not know how to defend themselves in arguments? Or that they are not fully capable of defending their own opinions? Really? Because I was and so were all the homeschoolers I know.
We are not clueless. Believe me.

It depends if the child is out-going or shy. If he is shy, maybe or maybe not. Depends on the individual.

"Qualification of the parent to teach: What makes someone a qualified teacher? Washington State defines a qualified teacher as this: "Someone who holds at least a bachelor degree from a four-year institution, is fully certificated or lisenced by the state, and demonstrates competence in eacher core academic subject area that a teacher teaches." A parent does NOT need that qualification to teach his own child. NOT IN MY STATE. Nor most United States.

About Psychology, some parents might not be able to teach that but some might be able to.
To fulfill this, most children will take that one class at highschool, because the parent cannot teach it.
I had a friend who would take Biology and Music at HighSchool and take her other classes at home. That would be the best thing to do in that very case. Okay?

That is why, in my state, my parent had to make a big, HUGE, binder full of every thing I was taught in one year and then turn it into an offical Homeschool "employee" person. I forgot what you call it, but you get the idea. I think she was part of the HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association)
OR I could take a standardized test to see if I learned everything I was suppose to. SO BELIEVE ME, in my state, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SEND INFO AND IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH GIVEN, THE PARENT BETTER FORGET TEACHING.
AND my parent graduated from college and highschool with degrees. SO she was capable of teaching ME.

Please read this article about reasons it is good to teach your child.

Thank you CoolPeppers12 for you arguments!! I am looking forward to an interesting debate!!

Opponent's Argument
I did my best to summarize each of my opponent's points, rather than stating their arguments word for word.

"Please state a number of kids that have fallen behind."
Such data is hard to obtain because (as I will elaborate on later) many homeschoolers are not even required to notify their state that they have chosen to home school. In fact, only two states, Arkansas and Alaska collect such data. Here are the statistics found in Alaska.

In this chart, we can see that the students taught from home (blue) did significantly worse in the mathamatics portion of state testing, showing that students who homeschool definitely have potential to fall behind in math. Now take a look at all subject areas...

Again, with these statistics, it is shown that the students taught from home did worse in each subject area. This proves my point. Online schoolers are behind those students who go to public school on average. This data is from well off taught at home who are not economically disadvantaged. As you could guess, the statistics are worse for the lower class students. (1)
NOTE: I realize that correspondance school and traditional homeschool are somewhat different. However they are both forms of homeschooling. Correspondance schools are the only way to obtain accurate data.

"You go by a small number of people you know who weren't taught properly by parents and somehow thing ALL homeschoolers are like that." I have provided the necessary statistics to prove my point. Also, there is one type of homeschooling that has not been mentioned. Online schooling. Studies have shown that these schools are less likely to meet federal education standards. Kids are even more likely to fall behind in cyber school because there is no one there to motivate them. Source (2) explains some of the flaws in K12 online schooling.

All Boy Scouts of America Arguments
Here my opponent talks about how their personal experience in has given them adequate social interaction. This may be true; however, this argument cannot be looked to because it has absolutely nothing to do with homeschooling. Boy scouts is a valid option for both homeschoolers and public schoolers. In order for my opponent to prove that homeschooling itself provides social opportunities, they must list programs that are exclusively made for homeschoolers. My opponent states, "I don't understand how you think public school clubs are better than THE Boys Scouts of America." Again, if my opponent and I are to compare social benifits of public school vs. homeschool, it must be clubs/activities exclusively for public school vs. clubs/activities exclusively for homeschool. Activities that are options for everyone cannot be taken into account.

My Arguments (Rebuttal)

Qualification of the parent to teach:
"A parent does not need the qualifications of a regular teacher to teach their child."
That is exactly the point I am getting at. Teachers are much more qualified to teach than parents. The fact that these qualifications are not required just shows that homeschooling parents are not fully qualified to teach their child. Look at my chart from the first round. Around 11% of parents who homeschool their children don't even have a high school diploma. My opponent notes that students can take some classes at home and some classes at school. This argument would actually flow over to my side because my opponent has acknowledged that it might be beneficial for students to take some classes in public school.
Turning in data to the Homeschool Legal Defense Association
This is a good idea, but in many states, it is not required. Take a look at this chart that is actually from the Homeschool Legal Defense Association:

Here it is shown that there are 10 states that don't even ask for notification if a parent is homeschooling. 14 more states ask for notification and nothing more. So almost half of the United States has little to no regulation for homeschooling. In my opponent's state, there may be regulations, but this is not the case for every state. (1)

Actual reasons for homeschooling:
The only argument my opponent made for this point is that personally they never felt clueless or oblivious to another point of view. However, my opponent is only one example. For this argument I would like to reference the article my opponent attached. Reason #7 was literally entitiled "Sheltering" The mother said, "The values of consumerism (i.e. wearing the right clothes) and status associated with money are the realities of school. Deadly concealed weapons are a reality in school. And an accelerated sense of sexuality and dating are a reality in school. I understand that these are also realities outside school, and my children will someday claim membership in this reality. But not today." Psycologically speaking, sheltering children is not going to help them in the long run. Take a look at my second source:

• A new paper by Katz et al, "Prefrontal Plasticity and Stress Inoculation-Induced Resilience", shows how exposure to mild stress as a young child can actually alter the brain in ways that make us better equipped to handle future stress as adults. Parents may feel that by preventing their child from encountering any and all potential hardship they are helping to preserve their emotional well-being, but going through a little stress and encouraging them to cope with it effectively will benefit them far more when it comes to being a more resilient, independent, and emotionally stable adult.
How the student feels:

My opponent attacked my chart by simply saying that he had never experienced abuse. The survey I provided has been taken by homeschoolers all over the United States, proving it to be more reliable than the opinions of my opponent and his friends.

(1) Homeschool Legal Defense Association

And finally... attacking the article my opponent attached. I will do this reason by reason.
I am only covering the first three reasons because I feel that these are the most important. If my oppont chooses to bring up any of the other reasons I will go ahead and address them as well.

1) Learning 2) Instruction- I'm going to group these two together. The parents who wrote the article chose to homeschool their children becaue they felt that they were more qualified to teacher their kids than a teacher. Now, the parent who wrote this article has a Ph.D. So I would agree that they are definitely able to teach their kids. However, most parents who homeschool don't even have a college degree. The kids in this given family may be getting adiquate learning and instruction, but homeschooling will hurt them in other ways. I'll get into that later.
3) Time- Here the author explains that a lot of the subjects learned in schools such as spanish are irrelivant and a waste of time if the person does not pursue to further learn the language once they get out of highschool. I'm not going to really get into this argument, but everything learned in highschool at least has some positive effect on the brain. Learning another language (even if its just for a couple years) has numerous benifits. I attached an article below (1). This is something homeschoolers will miss out on.

That can be true about the charts you have shown me, but it depends.

"Online schoolers are behind those students who go to public school on average."
We are not debating about Online school vs Regular School. That is out of the question. Online schooling is NOT, I repeat, NOT similar or in anyway alike homeschooling. That is something you should research and get straight.

Also, homeschooling could be, the parents HIRE a teacher to come to their house and teach their child(ren) while they work or are simply gone to do other things. Mhm?

"Kids are even more likely to fall behind in cyber school because there is no one there to motivate them"
I guess we are going to talk about Online school.
You sentence above is all false. "There is nothing or no one to motivate them"? Really? Maybe they, personally, are motivated. Any kid who decides to do online schooling, will more than likely WANT to or TRY to do there work opposed to regular school. You know the big, Vine Famous, Nash Grier? He is doing his work Online. This is a bad example, but Justin Bieber was homeschooled by a tutor while he toured America. AND HE TURNED OUT WONDERFUL??? DIDN"T HE?? Wait....don't use that as an,,,

Here are wonderful and socially great Boy Scout programs. HERE YOU GO: ---->World Jamboree. -----> Why summer camp is good for kids/students/HOMESCHOOLERS ----> More reasons why it's good to join Scouts.

"Around 11% of parents who homeschool their children don't even have a high school diploma."
Only 11%. The other percent they DO have diplomas. My parents did and MOST DO.

And as I stated before, in my state of MAINE, the parent is required to send in an extensive amount of the info they have taught their child(ren)/teens. If they do not provide enough or a valid amount, they might be checked out or not allowed to teach their child. Many states have this law, but some do not, like New Jersey.

And how some you keep saying Public school? What about private schools? Or do you mean "regular" school? I don't know, just wondering.

Only 9 states that do not check on parents homeschooling status.
Most of them have regulations.

And, still, you insist a child most have social interaction with others.
Does it really help him? Or can the unthinkable happen and he is bullied?

A girl was killed in a car crash and photos of the crash by the Police were then "leaked" out onto the internet, being sent or emailed to thousands of people. The parents them decided to homeschool their "CHILDREN" in concern that images of the horrifying crash would not be flashed into their faces at school. In that case, homeschooling was the best bet.

And you mentioned how i attacked your chart saying that I had no "abuse". Well, I didn't! I guess I am part of the 13% of homeschooled Americans who were lucky to not be abused. STILL, I do not see pure evidence in that chart nor shall I believe it. I REALLY cannot say, whether it is true or not. I don't know. You are coming up with every reason why homeschooling is bad and I am running out of words.

You said again, "most parents who teach their kids do not 'even' have college degrees" THAT IS FALSE! That is a bad generalization. MOST PARENTS DO. I want evidence to prove that, s'il vous plait.

Here is what I think about homeschooling.

-A parent, or any parent can more than likely teach their children from Kindergarten up to 10th grade or even further if they wish. My parents decided to send me to regular school starting my sophomore year because they wanted me to get a "further" education. AND the real reason we wanted to do this was because I am interested in Arts, more specially, film and photography, and music. At home, that is something they said they could not teach film. (I am estimating that thought this going with the past that I have remembered)
And this decision they made and that I have made too, was the best one ever because my experience at highschool will never leave my mind.

Here's my personal story with homeschooling and my transfer to highschool.

First, I was adopted from Europe by my parents and brought over to America years ago. I was about 5. I spoke no English at first but soon started speaking fluently in less than a year. That is how quick children's minds learn when they are young! Amazing, huh?
So my parents decided to homeschool me because they wanted to spend more time with me because I had just come to America. And if they had directly put me into regular school, I might not have had as close of a bond with my family then I would have had being homeschooled.

Then, when I joined highschool, I didn't like it. I missed homeschool so much, I even got teary eyed when I was given BIG amounts of homework, because homeschooling was not LIKE that. Hence highschool should cut down on all the homework.
For days and weeks, I hated highschool and secretly wished to go back to homeschool.
After months had passed on, I was used to high school and was succeeding. I got honor roll all trimesters of my school. (Most schools have semesters which is when they break up the year in four sections or 2. My school divided them into 3 sections, hence Trimesters.)
At the end of my school year, my parents asked me if I would like to go back to homeschooling, jokingly, I responded with no and that I did not want to go back to homeschool. That is how much it has changed me. Also, it had brought out my character and made me more out-going. So in one sense, highschool, for some kids, might help a child, or it might not.
For me, I was lucky and succeeded in highschool.

And most of your evidence is correct with half of it not.
Many homeschoolers are turned down in job applications which is discrimination. I even think the US Army did that which is IDIOTIC.

There is this negative appeal people tend to think of homeschooled kids/teens. They think they are not educated enough.
And this is incorrect. Homeschooling in the 21st Century is not homeschooling in the 20th Century. Homeschooling now as improved so much, you would not believe it.

I would like to start out by apologizing for not stating definitions in the first round; I need to clarify that online schooling is a form of homeschooling. Oxford dictionaries defines homeschooling as, "educate (one's child) at home instead of sending them to regular school." This covers all forms of at-home schooling: schooling by the parent, schooling by a computer, and as my opponent said, even schooling by a teacher in the home. My opponent is also right about private schooling being something that is covered by my side. I'll get into that later.

Opponent's Arguments

"Maybe online schoolers are personally motivated."
This may very well be the true. What I am trying to prove is that online schooling results in lack of motivation. There many be some motivated online schoolers, but there also a lot of homeschoolers who are not motivated. The point I am trying to prove is that without teachers and rigerous deadlines to motivate a student, the quality of work goes down.

Boy Scouts
I said this before, but I'll touch on it again. You cannot look to my opponent's arguments covering boy scouts because this organization is not unique to homeschoolers. An individual that goes to public/private school can enroll in boy/girl scouts.

My Opponent's Story
I would explain my wonderful story of going in both public school and private school and participating in the clubs they offer, but I don't have the time or characters. One story does not prove homeschooling or regular schooling to be the best/worst form of education. In this debate, I aim to look mostly to statistics and evidence. However, in previous rounds I have cited multiple examples of negative experiences homeschoolers have had.

My Arguments (Rebuttal)

Qualification of the parent to teach:
On this point, my opponent asked for evidence that proved that most homeschooling parents do not have degrees. With this argument I was referencing the chart I posted in the first round from NCES. 61.1% of parents in the US who homeschool their kids do not have degrees.

"Most states have regulations."
The chart I posted in round two shows that 24 out of 50 states have little to no regulations. This is almost half. 10 states require no notification, and 14 states require notification and nothing more. This proves how dangerous homeschooling can be. There is virtually no data on homeschooled students in many of the states. Many students in these uncharted states could be failing and the the Homeschool Legal Defense Association would never be aware. My opponent's state may have adiquate regulations, but still many states do not.

Reasons for homeschooling:
Here my opponent gave an example of a parent pulling their kids out of school so they would not be exposed to an image of a car crash. Firstly, this really is not a valid reason for homeschooling. Secondly, it is very unlikely that kids would be more likely to see this image at school. I fail to see how a picture being leaked has anything to do with kids going to regular school vs. homeschool. For this point to flow through, my opponent needs to actually explain how young children would be more likely to see this image at school, and why exposing kids to such an image would hurt them in the long run.

"Does it really help him? Or can the unthinkable happen and he is bullied?"
Psycology Today featured an article on Izzie Kalman, who explained that pullinging kids out of homeschool due to bullying is actually not a good idea (1). She says: "Homeschooling is a poor way to try to remedy a bullying problem. The children will learn absolutely nothing about why they are having the problem and how to solve it. If they go back to the same school, the problem is likely to recur. Sometimes a school change will solve the problem, so I prefer that as a solution rather than homeschooling. The absolutely best solution is for the kids to be taught how to stop being bullied on their own." Two very important points are made here. Firstly, pulling kids out of homeschool will teach kids to run away from their problems instead of solving them. Secondly, the child will eventually have to return to school/the real world. If the child has no idea how to cope with bullying, how will they survive? This may seem a little harsh, but the best solution in the instance of bullying is either contacting the school, or in worst case scenario, switching schools. Also, private school may be a good option to consider in a situation such as this because it will expose the child to a slightly different atmosphere.

How the student feels:
My opponent explains that there is no way that many homeschoolers are abused. Firstly, I would like to clarify that the type of abuse on this chart is not the steriotypical type of rough abuse that would result in a parent's arrest. Emotional abuse in the homeschool environment is simply the result of parents getting a little to frustrated with their children. What this chart shows is that this stuff is a lot more likely to happen in homeschool than in regular school. We know the data is accurate because it was an anonomous survey of homeschoolers who have all shared their story on the website.

NOTE: I am not in favor of discrimination towards homeschoolers. While homeschooling may not a good idea, the US army shouldn't turn down the homeschoolers that perform at the same level as those who went to regular school. Also, my opponent cannot just claim that my evidence is faulty. They must prove it in some way.

CoolPeppers12 forfeited this round.

Extend my arguments.

CoolPeppers12 forfeited this round.

Again, Extend my arguments. I understand that my opponent had circumstances preventing him from posting arguments. As a voter, don't take these forfieted rounds too seriously. Vote con.
Posted by debatability 2 years ago
Its completely fine. This debate has a lot of rounds.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 2 years ago
Sorry I didn't reply. I HAVE NOT FORFEITED! I WILL REPLY!!

I was sick for the past week and I have been doing a ton of homework.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 2 years ago
That's okay! Just give me some time to reply.
Posted by debatability 2 years ago
My apologies, this is a topic that i've been very interested in debating. I didn't mean for my initial argument to be as long.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 2 years ago
OH my gosh! Okay, give me a couple of Days to responde. Don't think I left or anything because you just about wrote a book
Posted by The_Intangible 2 years ago
Well, I was going to send this as a private message, seeing as someone else has already accepted the debate, and I did not wish to augment their views, but it seems you are not currently accepting any forms of private correspondence.

What I meant to say was that being in Boy Scouts and all of those other things are -somewhat- irrelevant to your education and social development as it pertains to homeschooling, not your parents. Of course they were relevant, and I apologize for that poorly-worded statement.

Anyway, you might say that those activities were a -supplement- for the social interactions you were missing by not attending public schools. That is the debate, at heart, and having done all of those extracurricular activities is -almost- like having taken performance-enhancing drugs.

We have to look at the big picture. Overall, do you think society would benefit if -every- child was homeschooled, barring any extracurricular activities, for instance, or would they learn more about one another and, by extension, learn to respect one another more by attending public schools?

Also, admittedly, it's hard for me not to be biased in these types of debates, which is another reason I was hesitant to accept it. I, myself, was brought up attending public schools, and I feel I truly benefited from my interactions with people from a variety of backgrounds. You did as well, having participated in so many extracurricular activities. Had you been restricted to JUST homeschooling, do you think you would have benefited just the same?

Anyway, since I'm NOT the one debating, here, I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself until the voting phase.
Posted by frozen_eclipse 2 years ago
homeschooling it self isn't bad. Though the isolation or separation from the community be it for religious, or other alterior motives which is commonly is the root of what we associate the negetives of homeschooling with
Posted by CoolPeppers12 2 years ago
I see what you mean. That is true.

But my parents did NOT have very little to do with my homeschooling. I'm not sure why you say that, but they were the ones who taught me every thing from 1st grade up to highschool!

And please accept the debate! This should be interesting!
Posted by The_Intangible 2 years ago
I feel the subject of the debate needs to be better worded. You could just say "Homeschooling", and then it would be easy to identify the Pro(for) and the Con(against). Minor qualm.

In order to be strictly objective in this debate, we need to rule out every outside influence. I think it's -great- that your parents encouraged and supported you in doing all of those things, but I feel that they really had very little to do with your homeschooling. We're looking at the impact of homeschooling on the child, not at your individual upbringing.

Sans every other activity outside of formalized education, is homeschooling a boon or a detriment to the social maturity of a child? I feel like I can't enter into this debate, because it's very subjective to -your- personal experience. We ought to be discussing the impact of homeschooling as a whole, while citing your personal experiences as to why you feel you have some background on this topic.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I am giving conduct points to Con not because of the forfeit but because Pro was rude in dismissing Cons arguments without even addressing them. Its rude not to acknowledge something, if you already believe you are correct their is no need to debate. Con also gets argument points as it was shown that Pros arguments had no rational basis, also Con made rebuttals which Pro failed to do as pointed out earlier. There was only one one winner in this debate, well done Con.