novilona
SlowDMO

Homeschooling

novilona has forfeited round #2.

novilona

Con

Nowadays the percantage of homeschooled children is increasing. Parents choose this type of alternative education for a score of reasons. Among these reasons the main one is simply dissatisfaction with the current standing of public educational system.Personally, I do not consider homeschooling as a good alternative to traditional education. The main disadvantage of it is that parents, who choose this way, usually are not qualified specialists. In fact, they do not know HOW to teach. It´s one thing that parents may have some knowledge in subjects. But it´s quite another to teach someone, especially your own kids. Besides, this method may isolated a child from natural socialization. There is a possibility that a child will grow upwithdrawn, which is, so to say, not helpful in our modern world.But of course, some people support homeschooling considering it as worthy. Among arguements in favor of this kind of alternative education can be marked nomadic way of life that parents lead. Indeed, it really stressful for a child to constantly switch schools. In this case homeschooling, clearly, can become a help! Also it cannot be denied that homeschooling is a great alternative for disabled children. Another advantage is that about religion. There are schools that do not want to accept children and their parents of some particular religion. Plus, it can be added that homeschooling is an exellent way to keep close connection with your child.All in all, it seems that there are more arguements for homeschooling. But anyway, the quantity should not be considered as dominant here. Imagine, that a child is taught by a parent who has just returned from work, who is tired and wants some rest. Or imagine how disobedient a child can be, when there is no schedule and parents cannot be neutral and fair enough towards their offspring. More or less strict order - that what children need.
SlowDMO

Pro

Well... Thank you for debating this topic... I should begin by mentioning that I have a very well-rounded perspective on the matter... Although I was never homeschooled, personally, I attended 9 years of public schools and 5 years in private schools. I am a father of four. My eldest has been in private schools only, as of 6th grade. My second eldest was at public school for k-2nd grade, and has been homeschooled for the last three years... My third is just doing kindergarten-level homeschooling currently, and my fourth is only a year old and is thus, non-applicable.
Although you seem to have made a genuine effort to look at this from the other side, it would seem as though you have some misconceptions concerning the stereotypes and values of families that choose homeschooling. I will address these, as well as attempt to make a case for the synonymy between public education, which is funded and controlled by the state, and propagandized indoctrination, which is what we are getting plenty of from the television/computer screens, radio speakers, and newspaper pages.
Misconceptions #1- "parents, who choose this way, usually are not qualified specialists. In fact, they do not know HOW to teach."
* the average homeschooled student is only homeschooled for 6-8 years, (according to NHERI.org), meaning that, unless you believe the average parent is below 8th grade level, they are perfectly capable of grasping the concepts of their child's curriculum, at least in the vast majority of cases. On top of that, the parent has access to the teacher's guide, and is able to re familiarise/learn the subject matter prior to teaching it, just like your teachers did at public school. As for not knowing HOW to teach, I'm unsure of what was so exceptional about the teaching styles of your teachers that makes you think your parents were incapable of it, but short of downloading information into their brain directly through some computer chip, there's only so much a teacher can do. It's really all reading, explaining, practicing, and testing... It's not rocket science.
-"Besides, this method may isolated a child from natural socialization. There is a possibility that a child will grow upwithdrawn, which is, so to say, not helpful in our modern world."
*most homeschooling parents involve their children in extracurricular groups. Besides that, I don't want to pay the state to "educate" my children, so they can play with their friends all day. According to an article on lovetoknow.com by Tara Kunish M.Ed., "While standardized test scores aren't always the best way to measure academic achievement, studies consistently find that home-schoolers do seem to outperform public schooled students on tests such as the ACT and SAT."
I believe that a student trying to fit in with kids and teenagers is not conducive to his learning to be wise or productive, but rather, to be as foolish and lazy as his peers... Since kids and teens are inherently stupid, they tend to tease and harass the intelligent, productive, and well-mannered, while promoting popularity amongst the stupid as the optimal goal.
(I'm a victim of this, myself... Not being teased too much, but being fooled into striving for popularity.)
-"Imagine, that a child is taught by a parent who has just returned from work, who is tired and wants some rest. Or imagine how disobedient a child can be, when there is no schedule and parents cannot be neutral and fair enough towards their offspring. More or less strict order - that what children need."
* This is silly... Imagine a teacher has taught the same propaganda to 30 kids, no different from the last 30, in the same classroom for the last 30 years, and decides they just need to ride it out another few years and they can retire with a huge pension... Is this person more likely to care whether or not their students learn the material than a tired parent of said student? No...
Parents care more than the state... Its that simple.
Public education is, by nature and necessity, a pure unadulterated indoctrination of propaganda... This is a huge can of worms, which can be opened if you are in disagreement, but for now I'll just ask, "Why/How would it be anything else?"
Posted by Aeearls 10 months ago
Aeearls
I believe you both to be correct in a certain amount of ways. I am new to this forum, so please bear with me.

First, I agree that parents are inherently teachers, therefore should assume the same amount of respect and expectation. Where do a child"s first word, step, sentence come from, if not from the parent? To say parents, as a whole, are incapable, is an insult to nearly 90% of this nation. (My estimate and opinions alone). That aside, I do understand where parents become frustrated with today"s teaching styles.

With the introduction of Common Core, came new standards and new teaching methods. As both, a parent and a student to become a teacher, I can attest that licensed teachers alike are having the same conflicts!! Therefore, how different is it for me to teach my child than to teach someone else"s?

Secondly, most homeschool families (someone correct me if I"m wrong) have a traditional two parent family; meaning, one works, the other is typically with the children. I"ve seen first hand a single father working and homeschooling his disabled son. That is a tremendous work indeed, for anyone, but it"s not "typical". Thus, rendering the "I"m tired from working all day, so I can"t teach you" argument pointless. However, I believe the first contestant"s argument to be guided towards a parent who works but chooses to homeschool, and in that regard I can honestly say, "yeah, I"d be tired too"! and I might not devote as much time. To that, I would implore that you put the needs and circumstances of your family first and see what it critical. Some public schools are not the best for some students. But either way, if you are working and your child isn"t in public/private school, who would be watching them anyhow? That scenario is a bit muddled and leaves room for misinterpretation.

To sum up with the socialization concern, in today"s society there are FAR MORE resources and opportunities for families to engage, if not more than typical education allows.