KB240o
jvava

Homeschooling

jvava

KB240o

Con

1st round is acceptance.

I've experienced homschooling

2nd round we make our opening statement.
jvava

Pro

Hello. I am glad to be debating with you on this controversial issue.

I accept the rules of this debate.

Good luck, and may the voters ultimately decides who wins this debate.
KB240o

Con

Well lets get this started.... I want to say I've experienced home schooling & it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made academically wise. I missed out on homecoming, prom, sporting events & worst of all the chance to experience my high school social life & I was constantly distracted by all the technology around me. Sure home schooling on the computer or being taught by family physically gives such a sweet comfort & you may learn better by being in your comfort zone. Although, this kind feeling of being home schooled is not how it is in the real life. Us Americans are becoming so dependent on individuality & it's becoming a wrong way of lifestyle, we need to appreciate the community we have around us such as school, work, sports, etc. I believe if young kids in ages 6-18 go off education by being home schooled they will lose their chances of being socially involved anywhere, this is not healthy for such young people. Young people are the future & they must be able to communicate face to face to evolve this country to something greater.

For the first round I just put thoughts on computer, next round I'll put in more research & numbers & give more information. Again first round was just my thoughts. People who read this debate PLEASE do NOT be one sided, consider both parties statements & think about what we are trying to say. I look forward to debating with Pro & thank you for accepting the challenge.
jvava

Pro

I will do the same - I will post my personal opinions and then the actual fact in the next round.

I just want to say that I am not against public education because I am pro-home schooling. My personal belief is that parents and students should make their own educational decisions. If one prefers public schooling, let him/her go into public education. If one prefers home schooling, let him/her be home schooled. I want it to be a personal decision, not one that is mandated by some outside force such as the government.

You may not have enjoyed home schooling, but that is an opinion. Some folks may despise it, but others may enjoy it and may want to enrich their education with it. Every student is different, and learns in different environments. If one learns better in an environment with peers and teachers, let them do what they want. If one learns better on the computer or from their family, let them do what they want.

You mention the social side of home schooling, and that it limits a student's social growth. This may have once been correct, but with the introduction of home schooling clubs, sports teams, etc, home schooled children can be just as social as school children.

Some things matter more to one person than to another. One girl may want to go to prom so horribly, and wear those pretty gowns and gobs of makeup. Another girl might care less, and prefers to be alone. One boy might want to sign up for every sport team and club. Another boy might care less about things like this. What I am getting at is that people find interest and fun in different things. You may regret not going to prom, but another home schooler might not give it a second thought. And it's the same for those that are in public education. Not everybody in public education goes to prom.

And I believe you will learn better and more efficiently in a home setting. There are hardly any distractions that students in public education face - like other students. Home schoolers can avoid the self-consciousness that they face in a public setting. Instead of worrying about their physical appearance - acne, clothes, etc. - they can be more themselves when learning.

Home schooling should not be an ignored method of education. I support both public and home education, because some students may find pros and cons in both types of learning.

KB240o

Con

You give some great points you really do. Let me say also just so I won't confuse people later, home schooling yeah it's a great idea I just don't think it's an effective one, ok? I don't see how young people of this generation really hold on to all the information that is given to them through academic lesson plans because the average age of students who are being home schooled are 6-24. There are only two ways of being home schooled and that is through computer or parent/tutor teaching you. In both ways it DOES NOT give the parents a benefit because the parent has to spend money that can exceed thousands of dollars. Public schooling is free, we just pay via taxes.

In one of Pros paragraphs he/she said "I believe you will learn better and more efficiently in a home setting. There are hardly any distractions that students in public education face - like other students. Home schoolers can avoid the self-consciousness that they face in a public setting. Instead of worrying about their physical appearance - acne, clothes, etc. - they can be more themselves when learning." ...... Pro I do not agree with you.
You said "There are hardly any distractions". Pro do you not know we are in the year 2013? The young ones of America have become so independent & we have fallen in love with technology. Technology is most likely ONE reason why the student wants to be home schooled via computer. We have the Facebook, the Google, the Twitter, YouTube, etc. Social networks (Technology on computer) Is such a major distraction to a young child. How are we sure the student is REALLY paying attention to the curriculum being taught? Yes, yes it depends on the student because every student is different I agree but we are losing our humanity to technology, we need books, more man made things.
You Pro also said "Home schoolers can avoid the self-consciousness that they face in a public setting. Instead of worrying about their physical appearance - acne, clothes, etc. - they can be more themselves when learning." We should not look at this as a problem we have but lets make this better. Lets enforce anti-bullying, lets enforce school uniforms provided by the school, lets have more security & deans on campus to prevent bullying. Us people need to experience society so we can adapt outside of family. We have to experience social situations so we don't become ignorant to one sided debates & become stronger emotionally.

I found this article, it's by the University of Michigan. Here is the link you and everyone else can check out and I HIGHLY encourage EVERYONE who reads this debate to also read the article because the links we post are also apart of the debate. http://sitemaker.umich.edu...

One statement made in the "Educational Systems of Japan and the US" article is: "The first, and most significant way, is that Japanese schools incorporate a national curriculum created by the Japanese Ministry of Education. Thus, unlike the educational system in the United States, in which each state determines its own curriculum, the federal government decides on what each school must teach, how to teach it, and even what books to teach it with. Therefore, there are many implications for such a disparity in educational structure. For American schools, the fact that each state can come up with their own curriculum means that states have autonomy as well as responsibility for what each student learns." How does this apply to homeschooling? Keep an open mind people, what do we know is being taught via computer, or even if we have our parents or tutor teaching us right? If you were home schooled and your parents were teaching you I would not trust what they are teaching because what if they do not have a degree to teach academic curriculum? That "comfort zone" of being home schooled comes in when we are being taught by parents, "Oh it's my mother she'll cut me some slack" or "Oh my father will understand" etc. We have to come out that comfort zone some to adapt to new things because once that student needs to start working how is he or she going to respond in communication?

I found more information on another website, look at it if you'd like.
http://www.publicschools.org...
One statement it states is:
"Even though public school classrooms do not have the same calm and peaceful atmosphere that a homeschool has, supporters of public schools believe that the disarray of the classrooms is actually helpful to children in succeeding in the future. Because reality is, the real world is not as calm and peaceful as we would like it to be. They believe that children who are living a very sheltered and protected life are likely the ones who will have difficulty adjusting to the real world after school. They also believe that it is essential that children learn how to interact and to work with one another for them to be able to build real, dynamic skills that are necessary in the real world." ........ "Each environment holds specific and helpful opportunities for children to learn. But as a parent, only you can determine which environment is helpful and suitable for your child. "
This last paragraph really sums up my whole essay, article, whatever you want to call it. Public school students will react and have the skills they need for the future, homeschoolers will maybe be just as equal as public school learners but public school students will be more ready.

I want to say again, people who are potential voters & read this debate, DO NOT BE SO BIAS!!!! Consider what me and Pro state & think about what we are saying.
jvava

Pro

1. "I just don't think it's an effective one, ok? I don't see how young people of this generation really hold on to all the information that is given to them through academic lesson plans because the average age of students who are being home schooled are 6-24."

This is confusing; however, I get what you are trying to say. You are arguing that students cannot and will not remember all that they learned through educational methods such as home schooling.

I disagree. Home schooling moves at a faster pace than public education because of limited distractions. But this doesn't mean that home schooled students forget what they learn. It simply means that they can move on with their learning, and can be taught things that the public education system is forced to teach later on.

Here is a website, a CNN website, that gives both sides of home -schooling:
http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com...

One thing that it states is: "Most parents aren't certified teachers, so it stands to reason why some question the effectiveness of a home school education. But the
Home School Legal Defense Association, an advocacy group in favor of home schooling, reported in 2009 that home schooled students averaged 37 percentile points higher on standardized tests than their public school counterparts.

EducationNews.org backs that up, saying that while students in traditional schools mark the 50th percentile on standardized tests, students who are “independently educated” score between the 65th and 89th percentile."

Interesting. It seems as though home schooled children are much higher academically than those who choose public education.

2. "The young ones of America have become so independent & we have fallen in love with technology. Technology is most likely ONE reason why the student wants to be home schooled via computer. We have the Facebook, the Google, the Twitter, YouTube, etc."

First, do you have any facts to prove to back this up?

Second, the benefit of home schooling is that the parents have a large hand in what their children is being taught and can supervise their child's education very well. I don't think that parents are just going to let their child get on the computer and trust that they're doing exactly what they ought to do.

3. "...it DOES NOT give the parents a benefit because the parent has to spend money that can exceed thousands of dollars. Public schooling is free, we just pay via taxes."

It just depends on what the parent is willing to afford for their child. Some may see it as a waste, while others may enjoy the thought of home schooling.

And one benefit in home schooling, at least to some, is the introduction of a religious setting. Whereas public education is secular, home schooling can be more religious-based learning. Many parents may see a huge benefit to this, and are willing to spend a lot to better their child's religious understanding and avoid the secular public education system.

It should, as I said earlier, be a personal decision. If parents are willing to spend more money on their child, who is to stop them? The government? No way!

4. "Lets enforce anti-bullying, lets enforce school uniforms provided by the school, lets have more security & deans on campus to prevent bullying."

Have the anti-bullying programs been effective so far? No. We still hear of teen suicides, of people going crazy because of their being teased.

Again, it should be the role of the family to decide where their children get educated.

And, if you did enforce school uniforms, there still are things to make fun of. Acne, hair, etc. will still be around and will still be the punch line in the jokes made by bullies. Mean people will always find something to tease somebody about, even if they have the same clothes on.

5. "Us people need to experience society so we can adapt outside of family."

An article on the social benefits of home schooling:

http://www.homeschool-guide.com...

This website proves your argument quite wrong and sums up my position perfectly. It confirms that home schooled children are just as able to socialize with those of their own age and even those that are older than students in the public school system.

"Home school children are better at getting along with other children (with both home schooled and institutionally schooled children), they are better at getting along with children of other ages, and they actually interact regularly and get along with adults. It's amazing how easily home schooled children jump into a conversation between adults. Even home schooled teens talk with adults, and with their parents.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Institutionally schooled children, normally, are forced to sit in their desks most of the day, to not talk to each other, and to do book work even when it is boring. There is very little social interaction in most classrooms.

Then they go out on the playground for "recess." There is no one out there to teach them how to get along with each other, even in the best situations (the one or two playground supervisors don’t "teach" social skills - it’s more like they prevent physical fights).

More often, the children are likely to ignore all the children who are not in their own grade, and to emotionally abuse each other (called insulting or teasing), because they are so emotionally bored from the lack of social interaction in their classes, and because they have stored up lots of physical energy being still and quiet in the classroom."

These are a few paragraphs I would like to point out from that wonderful article. What it states makes incredible sense - that children don't get that much social interaction in class. And outside of those boring class, they are often rude and misunderstood by other students because of the stress and boredom that is put onto them.

I wanted to single out that article - it's a great article because not only does it prove the stereotypes of home schooling false, it gives reason to why home schooling can be beneficiary.

Also, if the reason you are against home schooling is due to the social aspect of the concept, it is now invalidated. Home schooled children can now join clubs, teams, etc. with other home schooled children.

6. "Each environment holds specific and helpful opportunities for children to learn. But as a parent, only you can determine which environment is helpful and suitable for your child. "

This is the basis of my argument - and it can be found in one of your articles! My point is that each student is different, and will learn better in different environment. It should be a personal decision - not one mandated by the government and watched over by the Department of Education.

There are many other falsities in your argument, but a limit of characters prevents me from arguing.

My point is simple: if we allow students to decide where they want to learn, where they believe they will benefit, we ought to let them. Parents and students ought to pick where they will be taught.

I agree with you that every student, no matter in what jurisdiction, should learn the same things. I just believe that home schooling eliminates many distractions and allows students to discover themselves. If they can discover themselves - artistically, musically, mentally, physically, spiritually - they will be more equipped for the real world, going in with a realistic sense of who they are instead of who they want to be.

Home school should teach the same things as public schools. I just believe the option of home schooling is more efficient and allows students to better understand subjects while moving at a faster pace.

I have provided articles supporting my claim that home schooling does not limit social interaction to the extent that you believe it does. It may once have, but with home school clubs, teams, etc. students can be just as social.
KB240o

Con

Well thank you for mostly counter attacking my statements. I just want to say that when an a debate NO ONE should be so bias, list your reasons and not be ignorant. I did say "Each environment holds specific and helpful opportunities for children to learn, but as a parent, only you can determine which environment is helpful and suitable for your child", because I am not being so bias on this debate ok? One major example of you being bias is the link you posted which is the:
http://www.homeschool-guide.com...
This link I could tell that the article was going to be very bias, this article was written by homeschool guide for homeschooling.

Jvava (Pro) I see that you are 41 years old on your profile, please don't take this the wrong way and I do not mean this in a mean way but maybe you do not understand when I say that technology can be such a distraction to younger students ages 6-24. Some distractions can be the Google, the Facebook, the Twitter, etc. I do not need facts to prove how much technology has taken a toll on everyone on earth, it's kind of common sense.

I found this article and it states pros and cons of homeschooling here's the link: http://sacramento.cbslocal.com...
Arguably, an asset of attending regular school is the opportunity it affords kids to be exposed to a wide variety of subjects, not just those currently of interest, as well as a diverse group of people. While not all schools are created equal, the ability they give children to socialize with others is a big plus. Recognizing the need for socialization, parents who homeschool typically attempt to create a social network for their children by organizing field trips and by joining homeschooling networks or groups. However, rarely do they encompass disparate types of people. Within urban areas, these groups may be ethnically diverse, yet similar socio-economically. In rural regions, the groups may be religion-focused or comprised of people sharing other common ideologies. Either way, it is a rare homeschooling parent who will include children who do not get along easily with their own. This can limit their child"s social experiences and make it harder for them to learn things like compromise or conflict resolution. Adults who were homeschooled often reference extreme social awkwardness as an obstacle they experienced upon entering college or the workforce. Others, whose teaching was steeped in religious ideology, note astonishment and even anger towards their parents because they were shielded from scientific learning and had no knowledge of subjects like evolution, the big bang theory or even the existence of dinosaurs. Some adults, however, upon looking back at their homeschooling days, express gratitude to their parents for letting them focus on career-boosting skills and teaching them the benefit of learning in the world as well as in the classroom.

I want to wrap up my arguments. For the present time a student is being homeschooled it may be a great benefit and the parent and student may feel it was a great decision to enroll into homeschooling but life is not just about present, it's also about the future and how we're going to make it better. If you read my last paragraph it shows why and how a student can slightly lose their knowledge from homeschooling and their social lives will be at a low.
jvava

Pro

Your argument is ridiculous!

I am stating facts that support my side of the argument, you are supporting your side. This is a debate - both of us are going to be biased because both of us have to pick a side and show voters that our side is more logical than the other by pure fact.

The definition of biased, by Merriam-Webster:

1. having or showing a bias : having or showing an unfair tendency to believe that some people, ideas, etc., are better than others

You believe that your ideas are better than mine. I believe that mine are better than yours. This is a debate - argue the points instead of trying to invalidate my facts, which you certainly are!

Also - my job is to show one side of the sides of this debate. Your job is to show the other side. Together, we present both sides for the voters to choose on. Don't called me biased just because I want to prove my point straight-forwardly. And yes, my links may support my side, but I am trying to get the voter to see the side of my argument.

One of my links, however, presented both sides: http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com...

If I am biased, you're biased. We are just trying to get our points across to the voters.

"Jvava (Pro) I see that you are 41 years old on your profile, please don't take this the wrong way and I do not mean this in a mean way but maybe you do not understand when I say that technology can be such a distraction to younger students ages 6-24. Some distractions can be the Google, the Facebook, the Twitter, etc. I do not need facts to prove how much technology has taken a toll on everyone on earth, it's kind of common sense."

This is a statement you made. I have to laugh at the pettiness of it.

If you are so updated on current social trends, you know (as many do) that people lie about their age online for security reasons. I am one of these people. I am probably younger than you are - 15 - and understand the effect that technology has had on the world. I know that Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and Vine and Google can be distracting. Don't use age as an excuse. I am younger than you (if you really are 18) anyways.

Your statement doesn't make very much sense either. What I said is that in home schooling the parents have a heavy hand in their child's education. This is one of the main reasons parents and students choose home schooling. Are these social media outlets any more distracting that class clowns, bullies, popular people, jocks - and the other distractions that can be found in public school? At least in home school you can be yourself instead of who you want to be. At least when you enter into the real world you know who are instead of why you want to be and who you acted like in school.

And then you argue that home schooled students do not get into contact with a diversity of people. That publicly schooled children get to know a wide variety of people.

This may not be entirely true. Students are, most of the time, going to 'hang' around others that have common traits and have similar interests. Those that enjoy art befriends others who enjoy art. Those who enjoy band and music will befriend other music lovers. The goths will befriend other goths - and so forth. There are a few exceptions, but a majority of the time students spend time with those who are alike. And all friends will get into disagreements, no matter how similar. Home schooled children will get into disagreements with other home schooled children, no matter how similar.

Also, socialization should not be a skill mandated and overviewed by the government. If parents and students are aware of the pros and cons that come with home schooling, they should make the decision themselves, not be persuaded by some outside force such as the government.

You also argue that home schooled students do not learn the same things as publicly schooled students and that home schooled students are limited to what subjects they can learn. This is false.

Home schooled students are going to learn what publicly schooled students learn - the difference is that the pace is quicker. Why? Because most distractions are limited. Home schooled students can enrich themselves because they can move faster and more efficiently, and don't have to concern themselves with students who fall behind and have to be retaught the material. Home school is independent to ensure that children can move at whatever pace they see fit to learn material. It's a much more efficient way of doing things. In my article that wasn't biased, it supported this claim that home schooled students earn higher percentiles on tests:

"Most parents aren't certified teachers, so it stands to reason why some question the effectiveness of a home school education. But the Home School Legal Defense Association, an advocacy group in favor of home schooling, reported in 2009 that home schooled students averaged 37 percentile points higher on standardized tests than their public school counterparts.

The truth is in the results. Home schooled students do better on testing because they know the material. They know the material because they are under a much more modern and efficient system of education.

Let me just say that I know a good bit about the modern-day public education system. My parents are employed by our local school district. My mother is 3rd grade teacher and my father is an 11th grade ELA teacher. Don't think that I am not aware of the mistakes made by our public education system.

"Adults who were home schooled often reference extreme social awkwardness as an obstacle they experienced upon entering college or the workforce. Others, whose teaching was steeped in religious ideology, note astonishment and even anger towards their parents because they were shielded from scientific learning and had no knowledge of subjects like evolution, the big bang theory or even the existence of dinosaurs. Some adults, however, upon looking back at their home schooling days, express gratitude to their parents for letting them focus on career-boosting skills and teaching them the benefit of learning in the world as well as in the classroom."

I figure this is what you mean by unbiased. It isn't much of an argument; in fact, it proves the pros to my side.

Some are satisfied with home schooling. Others are not. This is where a personal decision comes into play. Some enjoy it, some do not. Should we limit the education of the satisfied student because the not satisfied student wasn't content with the system? No. We should allow students to pick how they are educated. They should decide on whether the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to home schooling.

I also want to sum up my argument to the voters. I support a personal decision when it comes to the education of our younger generation; they should decide on what they want, not what the government or some other outside force sees fit for them. If they want to eliminate distractions and enrich themselves with faster learning, I say let them go for it. If they want to have a more 'traditional' education - an education that, in the facts, is behind - I say let them go for it.

My point is that we have to allow students to weigh the pros and cons for themselves.

My opponents' stance is that public education is better for everybody. I disagree with this statement - home schooling allows opportunities that publicly educated students cannot get. But, then again, public education offers some opportunities that home schooled education can't receive.

Choice is my point. I am not anti-public education. I am not pro-home schooling for everybody. I just think that different things work for different people.

Good luck, and may the best debater win.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 3 years ago
GodChoosesLife
If you say so....
Posted by KB240o 3 years ago
KB240o
Jvava you didn't define bias right and this is from Google, and it's:
Bias - 1. prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair

And if you're completely bias in a debate you show complete ignorance. A bias of a measurement or a sampling procedure may pose a more serious problem for researcher than random errors because it cannot be reduced by mere increase in sample size and averaging the outcomes.
Posted by KB240o 3 years ago
KB240o
@ GodChoosesLife - Do not mix up your own life to the topic & believe that everyone who has had the same experience as you feels the same as you. ALL people are different, you're different I'm different the next person who reads this will be different, so we handle social issues differently, we prefer things differently.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 3 years ago
GodChoosesLife
prom and social life??? Really?.... I think if anything public school makes it harder for people to be social because if people don't you they'll bully you and you'll be lonely... So,, you can't be close-minded about this topic of homeschool... It is very beneficial.. If people who are in public school concentrate on being social so much, where is there time to learn academically without all the distractions of sooo called "friends"???
I was home schooled 1/2 of my life and the other half in public school.. you know which one did me worse off? Public school.. But, I'll wait to see the rest of your excuses you come up with about not being home schooled..
Posted by KB240o 3 years ago
KB240o
@Adam2 - You're right but this debate isn't over. Keep in touch on this debate yes?
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
Good debate, KB240o, but there are good things about homeschooling. There are just as many snobs in public school. So don't fall for lies.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
KB240ojvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con never stated a resolution for the debate. Was it "Home schooling i not best for most people." or was it "How schooling should be allowed?" from the gist of the debate, I guess it was the latter. It is Con's job as instigator to make a clear resolution. In R2, Con grants "you may learn better" and later Pro introduced unrebutted evidence that was so. Pro didn't make the claim that learning was the most important thing. The argument was then over socialization. I thought the arguments and evidence on that were about equally split. Public schools provide unsupervised interaction, so some students will benefit and others harmed (as by bullying); homeschooling has interaction with closer supervision, but probably less of it. Both debaters would benefit from using the general format of making a claim then giving the reference. Don't give reading assignments. Con had lots of S&G errors, but I could still follow what he was saying.
Vote Placed by miketheman1200 3 years ago
miketheman1200
KB240ojvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro never is able to refute the fact that social media can be a huge distraction for kids being homeschool. Pro also ignores the points about public school introducing kids to the realities of life. sources to pro, he had more and his use was more effetive.