Homeschools are better than public schools

Knowledge: [1]
Studies show that children who are being homeschooled do way better at tests than children at public schools. The reason for that is in my opinion because they get way more attention from their teacher and therefor can focus more on their weaker abilities. In public schools they can't do that and the teachers have to lecture the students at an average level which results in that the top and the bottom of the class remain at status quo. Correct me if I'm wrong but no matter what the teacher can't in my opinion both help the bottom of the class and challenge the top of the class.

Qualities: [2]
Now you might think that the parents aren't suitable for the job as teacher for these homeschooled children but in fact they are. Most of the parents also went to school when they were young and they leaned a lot of the same things so even though the knowledge might be hidden away, the parents aren't as stupid as teenagers make them :). There are of course still difference concerning how intelligent the students are depending on whether the parent(s) has a college degree or higher, but overall the homeschooled children are still more intelligent even though none of the parents have a college degree.

I realize that the homeschooled children aren't as social as students in public schools but I don't think of it as a problem because students who are being homeschooled have more free time. Their classes are flexible and they can in the theory have class whenever they want, so flexible classes combined with almost no homework give them a lot of spare time where they can interact with other people and make new friends. To give some examples they could for example play football or baseball and if the kid isn't much of a sports type, there are still a world of opportunities and the homeschooled children can also have friends from their childhood which makes the socialization no problem for the homeschooled children in the future.

Self-confidence: [3]
Another argument to support homeschooling would be that we get a lot of strong and confident people in our society, because sadly enough, peer pressure, competition, boredom, and bullies - are all part of a typical school day at a public school. Studies even show that girls who are being homeschooled have more self-esteem, than girls who attend public schools. The reason is that the homeschooled girls can do whatever they want in school and they can wear whatever they want while nobody bullies them and no one forces them to do something they don"t like.

Efficiency: [4]
I could go on forever and find more arguments to try to convince you that homeschooling is better than public schools but I"ll end this first round with one last (and in my opinion) solid argument. In an interview, John Taylor Gatto, New York City Teacher of the Year and a 26-year teaching veteran, said that in many classrooms less than one hour out of each school day is spent on "on task" learning. This is why they have so much homework in public schools and that is why much more children should be homeschooled - because the method is more effective.

So to sum up I honestly don't see any disadvantages in homeschooling your children but if you do... Bring 'em on!

[1] (figure 1)
[2] (figure 2, 4, 5)
[3] (Emotional freedom)
[4] (No busywork)

First and foremost, I attended public schools for my entire life, and have little knowledge of what it is like to be home-schooled other than hearing stories from a few people I have known in the past who were home-schooled.

I will split these first round arguments into a hierarchy of concerns about why I believe homeschooling is less than ideal. These arguments pertain to students who attend school either public or private; any land marked educational institution that is not a private residence.

I Networking:
For the vast majority of students, they generally tend to form solid groups of friends throughout their career. These groups can grow increasingly large as they meet friends of friends or introduce their own friends to new people. A student will also become much more adept on deciding who or who not to be friends with, and learning what it takes to be a friend. Everyone needs to establish personal guidelines on how to treat others in order to not burn bridges. A student will learn what it takes to piss somebody off or what makes them happy, and then experience the consequences of either. While all these phenomena certainly could happen to a student who is home-schooled by other means, the direct exposure simply isn't as regular or equal in scale. Furthermore, many relationships formed as a student navigates K-12 will not die off as their school career comes to an end. Some of these relationships are the most sacred bond anyone could have. There is arguably no other place or time in anyone's life where they can accumulate such a large amount of friends whom of which they share so many impressionable memories with. These are the people you do everything for the first time with, and its likely that you will continue to make memories with these people for the rest of your life.

II Work Environment
Typically, on a regular basis, students will learn to wake up at a scheduled time, conduct all their usual morning preparations, and finally head off to school. As do all of their classmates. All students will arrive at the same time and conquer the same endeavors. This introduces the concept of having a common enemy. Not only does this entail much closer ties among students than a student who is home-schooled could form with anyone their age, it also shows students that working together can be extremely efficient and synergistic. They can also learn not strictly from the teacher, but also from fellow students, as well as teach their fellow students themselves. It also introduces many concepts in which they will encounter throughout life such as: specialization, cooperation, survival of the fittest, responsibility, work ethic, and time-management. Among infinitely many other important concepts. Getting used to the work environment is most crucial in our society, and it is important to expose children to this at their most impressionable stage.

III Inferiority Complex
On a daily basis, students will be exposed to an environment in which they all share equal opportunities that have been provided by the education system. As time progresses though, these opportunities will oscillate between students. The amount of benefit that any given student can take from school is extremely volatile. While this may seem unfair, it is a fundamental component of human interactivity. A student who is home-schooled receives maximum benefit from their educational opportunities. This may seem like a good thing, but it is simply unrealistic. In home schooling, there is no honor roll, no band, no athletic awards, no relative grades, no popular crowd, no geeks - there is absolutely no one else to consider yourself stronger or weaker than on certain aspects. A home-schooled student is the strongest at everything!

IV Extra-Curricular Activities
Typically, all public schools will make all of their clubs and events available to home-schooled students in their town, but it is a fundamentally different experience for either. First off, even though these things are available, home-schooled students generally don't participate. I mean, why would they? If they chose to participate, this would be their first time exposed to a large crowd of individuals who all have known each other for long periods of time, and who can feel the presence of an outsider. For the students who actually attend the school, only they can receive maximum benefit from participating in extra-curricular activities: Sports, band, clubs, school dances, evening events, and later on the most sentimental of all - prom.

To wrap things up for this first round, I will say this: Referring back to the people I have known in the past who were home-schooled, I will admit that these were some of the finest individuals I have ever encountered. In my town, there was this family of three children, all of which whom have made numerous achievements both academically and extra-curricular. They ran cross-country at my middle school and high school - all three. All three of them were multi-time state champions. They all played instruments proficiently. The oldest one had his own ten-minute story on our local news station where he demonstrated his skills with the violin, and spoke about how he balances all his endeavors. However, these people were awkward in nature to some degree. They were not casual about their social interactions. They dressed differently and spoke differently. They even ran sort of weird! Now one may argue that these things shouldn't matter - they without a doubt impose noticeable and measurable consequences. They were called "the home-schooled kids" and were referred to as that when frequently spoken of. Certainly this has an impact on how they could interact with the rest of us students.

I rest my case for now. I have other examples of people that I knew who were home-schooled on reserve. As well as some other points I wish to make. Good luck.

Socializing as a homeschooled kid:

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about homeschooling is its debilitating kids' social skills. For some reason lots of anti-homeschoolers seem to think that the only way to socialize is socializing with children on your own age but that"s not necessarily true. Socializing with kids is only one way of socializing. Homeschooling lets kids spend more time in their community to interact with a bigger variety of people outside their age group. Studies have shown that homeschooled children can and often have invested into community participation and socialize with all kinds of people. The thing is that the difference between homeschooled children and children that go to public schools is that homeschooled children are less likely to socialize with children of their age group. This is not the same thing as not socializing with kids of similar age group at all.
Homeschoolers also enter the real world earlier than public students, who mostly spend most of their school and childhood life with people who are around their own age group. Homeschoolers do not only learn to interact with people outside their own age group which can be very important later in their later lives, they also ensure to stay out of the bad environments that exists on schools so they for example don"t turn to drugs.

Work Environment:

What you say about the students working together in public schools is true. It"s assisting their learning and it will definitely help them in the future, but just because children are homeschooled doesn"t mean they can"t work with each other in groups. If you look at this figure ( (figure 9)) you"ll understand that 93.4 percent of the homeschooled kids also have homeschooled siblings who they might be able to co-operate with.

Well, I"m going to keep it short this time but regarding the three homeschooled kids that you know, I"ll say that you said it pretty much yourself: they are the finest individuals, multi-time state champions etc. You say that the only problem was they didn"t fit in the society with public school students, but what I hear is that they fit in with all the other people except from public students and they even have success" So maybe it isn"t the homeschoolers who have a problem about socializing with other people but public school students who have a problem about socializing with them.

Also you might find these arguments pretty interesting especially argument number 16!

In an effort to conduct research of my own on this subject, I have a hard time finding anything relating to my side of the argument. This suggests that very little research is conducted to oppose home-schooling and it is probably because the common belief is that home-schooling is the less ideal option. Thus, only those who support home-schooling have the incentive to conduct research. While it may not be true that home-schooling is less ideal, I will do my best to argue that it is true on many levels.

I found the article by the HSLDA to be insightful. However, it hardly does much to counter my core arguments that I originally made. Further analysis of the report made me conclude on this: Although studies show that home-schooled children display stronger academic achievement on many levels, we must put into play the question of who these people being home-schooled are. How realistic is it to make the general statement that home-schooling is the better option (for everyone)? The article even made the point that there is a slight relationship between income and quality of homeschooling.

To get an idea of the factors that come into play of a said generalized statement, we imagine these scenarios:

Income is likely by far the most influential factor that has an effect. A family where both parents must work in order to support their families have little to no incentive to home-school their children. And therefore home-schooling is by no means the better option. It is reasonable to assume that many parents who would rather home-school their children have little to no economic incentive to do so. Studies show: The more wealthy the family, the better the quality of education. This relationship is no different of a child from a wealthy family who attends public schools, it exists in both cases.

This relates to income almost symmetrically. The economic incentives to home-school a child becomes increasingly small as income of the parents decrease. Similarly, the incentive becomes increasingly small as the number of weekly hours of labor for the parents increase.

Education Levels of Parents
This basically speaks for itself. While many children who are home-schooled are taught by their well-qualified parents, one could imagine that most parents in our country are not well-qualified if even slightly qualified at all.

So to summarize the idea of what has just been stated, the economic incentive for parents to home-school their children is extremely narrow. Can we conclude that the only reason home-schooled children tend to perform more well is due to the fact that they come from the very rare circumstances where it may indeed be a good decision to home-school them. The vast majority of parents by no means are realistically capable of home-schooling there children. If we take into account that many students who attend school do just fine, the general statement that home-schooling is the better option diminishes.

I agree that pure socialization can exist within the lives of students of either form of education. However, I stand by my original four core arguments in that the same types of socialization occur much less frequently and of different nature with students who are home-schooled. I still remain almost entirely biased, which is why I used the example of the three children from my town and why I also stated that I have little to no idea of what it is truly like to be home-schooled. I cannot entirely say which option is better. Truthfully, I believe both are equal in many aspects, also that some aspects are stronger in home-schooling while some are stronger in attending school. But the generalized statement that home-schooling is the better option is far from valid. Many students in this country are failing. To what extent is there reason to believe that they would be doing any better if by some chance their parents had the capacity to home-school them and did so?

Fraekfyr22 forfeited this round.

crswong888 forfeited this round.
Posted by crswong888 1 year ago
Actually, I agree with Ed_Chen. While having an experience of both is not completely determinant of the quality of this conversation, It does impose some sort of limit to how worthy either of us are to form both accurate and empathetic opinions about either side of the argument.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
I don't think they both need to experience both types of schooling to formulate valid arguments for one or the other. I don't see what that would be the case at all.
Posted by Ed_Chen 1 year ago
very interesting,,,
but in order for both of you to rightly argue about this topic BOTH of you need to experience both home schooling and public schools
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
You need knowledgeable and qualified teachers for homeschooling to work. Many, if not most, parents are neither.
Vote Placed by TheAdamb99 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Very close debate by before and after the debate I support Con! Well done!