Vampire_Babe
18freckles

Homework Hinders Learning

18freckles

Vampire_Babe

Pro

That homework hinders learning.
It causes stress on the student ad with todays technology we can just google it
we dont really learn through homework
and with the amount students get is ridiculous and its all due in the same sort of time which is horrible
i know because i am a student myself
and i have 4 debate speeches due, a science booklet due, french assignment due and maths homework on top of that and they are all due around the same time. As soon as i get home i get home relax try to do as much homework as possible then i eat shower and go to bed.
Some days i have dancing which dosent allow me to do homework until 7-8 pm
and then i dont get to bed until around 10-11
its unhealthy doses of homework
18freckles

Con

First I would like to say that no one enjoys homework, but that's life, no one enjoys doing work after work. Although I do agree with the homework being stressful, we can see that it's worth it in the long run. I cant really say that we do learn from homework, its practice. The teacher teaches you the subject chapter ect. They give us homework so we can practice what we just learn to see if we are doing it correctly, or if we are doing something wrong, and we remember how to do it because we practice it so much, and if we dont get what the teach just taught us we can look at homework and ask the teach or another student who may explain it better. homework enables us to get a better understanding and much more practice for the future so we actually know what we have to do besides hearing it come from the teach.

It's almost the end of the school year and this is when all the projects start popping up: english: grammar book
spanish: poster about little me geometry: art project on triangles world history: italian renaissance art
on top of all that I do speech and debate and cross country and science olympiad (after school activities) I get home around 430 do homework till about 830... but on thuesdays and thursdays i go to all state band from 6to10... though may days seem very busy I still find time to manage my stress levels

Teachers don't know are daily routine after school, they give us homewrok because they dont want to see us fail they want us to succed... It's our fault if we do some sort of after school activity therefore not giving us enough time to do homework but teachers know that if we want to be somewhere in our lives we would do the work no matter how much it is

And going to bed is the matter if you do or not and what time you do... I dont go to bed till really late because well I study because I want to be correct on what im doing and i want to be able to remember what im learning for tests and stuff... And i get up really early 4oclock, to run because although school may be a drag I find time to do what I love (I run) even if its at a horrible time, but im still alive and kicking and I never feel tired (but thats just me)

homework is a good impact to us kids
Vampire_Babe

Pro

I agree no one enjoys homework and it is good for is in the long run but some teachers don't teach much at all in class and give you truck loads of homework and its only the start of the school year for me. I'm only in 8th grade and I'm getting stuff my parents aren't that good at. It just shows how different our countries are. Not only does it cause stress it gives you sleep deprivation. Plus we don't really do our homework by ourselves if you think of it.
There is the Internet ( Google, wikipedia, ninemsn, yahoo ect ) we just get onto one of those search engines type in the main words and there it is. So we just write it in our book or type it up. Another thing to our parents may help us. Even though stress comes in at some point we still kind of aren't doing it ourselves. Plus it's not just us with the sleepless nights and stress our families come into it as well. My parents are sometimes up all hours helping me. Homework also doesn't allow us to be teenagers and have fun. Is our idea of a fun weekend sitting at home doing maths homework ? I don't think so its taking us away from being social and having fun. Some studies also show that overload of homework isn't associated in higher grades. Also everyone would like to be correct in what they are doing because we need good grades to get somewhere good in life. Homework is good to an extent but an overload isn't good for us.
18freckles

Con

first in this debate we are just talking about homeowrk hinders leaarning not an abundance therefore it shouldnt matter how much, just homework period.

I know how hard it is when your parents arent able to help you especially for foriegn language and math but we still learn on our own. and yes we do use internet for examples I mean do you really use google to actually do your homework, no, you get your ?'s answered but your still doing it yourself thus learning on your own with technology. and no one can use plagerism so we just ask for answers we get them but we learn at the same time and im pretty sure your parents dont just give you the answer they show you how to get it or explain it, therefore your learning.
I dont know about you but I think almost every teenager does something fun on the weekend if they arent restricted by parents (like grounded for example) even if they have homework. I mean we wouldnt be debating this right now if you werent busy doing homework now, this is for fun (basically)... even if they can't do it for long they still have time because I dont know about over there but here we would have friday saturday and sunday to get all the work done so thats plenty of time thats atleast 48 and 10 hours of free time... I dont think homework takes that long therefore you still can find time to be a teenager

Although homework may be tough and overbearing it helps you to know what you are learning and to know how to do it in the future because its practice. Plus not everyone tries, thats why teachers give homework to make sure we are doing it and to make sure we understand what they are teaching because if we didnt understand then how would they know what he/she is doing wrong without our concent.?
Vampire_Babe

Pro

I agree with your opening statement but I didn't technically clarify how much homework hinders our learning. I'm actually going well in foreign language and my family speaks other languages so in some cases it isn't that bad. Yes you type in the question find the answers and change the words to make it fit to your standards but still it isn't that much learning involved. I agree with you too all our weekends are different. But after outside school activities on a weekday and weekend I myself have to stay home most of the weekend and do homework but that doesn't go for every teenager in the world. All of my friends have to do it to, It may be just my school who knows. This is actually research for me , as I was doing research for my debate speeches on this topic I came along to this website and joined now I'm getting plenty of ideas for both sides. So you are slightly doing my homework in some ways even though you are on the other side of the world. But this is actually quite fun. I agree its practice but sometimes teachers just give you the same things over and over again even when everyone gets it and it is pointless especially when you have other homework that is more and more important than that. I agree not everybody tries but that just brings other students down because some people don't like to try because they think school is a waist of time. We all have different opinions the subject. This debate is huge and in Toronto they have actually been discussing giving homework the sack. Also do you see older people bringing there work home with them ? In some situations yes but not nearly every day of the year ( while school is on and when people work ). Not every school day we get alot of work at all so they could bring the homework out and work on it with us in class if we are not that busy. Or if they are so concerned about us not completing set homework they should either make school longer ( which is horrible for everyone but if it gets the job done why not ) or set a time in class were you could work on the homework.
18freckles

Con

okay I see your points. Yes i do agree that some homework may be pointless like doing cross words and puzzles and such like that, but your still practicing, for example say you have to do a cross word puzzle for your vocabulary words in lets say science, they give you the definition and you try and find the word... sounds like learning to me because you are learning the definition of the word as your find it. On the other hand different teenagers have different ways of doing their homework and studying and some are just smart enough to get the homework done faster than others so I guess the teenagers finding time to do stuff is their time on how fast they get done and their study habits. I know I set up a schedule like if I have a test coming and a different one on the same day I would pick the subject I suck more in and spend more than a half hour or so, then the subject I'm most efficient in I study a little less because I understand it, homework is study material basically. I f you do the homework your studying (atleast thats how I see it, and most of my friends). Doing homework is just a more effective way of studying. Most teachers do give out lots of homework depending on what they are learning, some may give very little for many reasons. Homework is good, but yes it may be overbearing at some times, but we learn more from our mistakes, which mostly come from the homework we do!
Vampire_Babe

Pro

Yes I agree with you in your points. Its very overbearing and not fun but sometimes it just sucks the creativity out of you because your doing homework over and over again. I study alot too but not only for school but for dance lessons, singing lessons and guitar lessons. So actually homework isn't just based at school. So for students who are very busy with other activities and do have to study before lessons its horrible. Tomorrow I have a maths exam I'm studying but that isn't pointless and it's not homework either. But that isn't hindering learning its helping. Homework is good to an extent but just the stress and the not being too social turns people off it. Teachers should make homework fun but still educational so you want to learn more.
18freckles

Con

actually most teachers do make it fun so they dont lose the attention of the students, but then there are the teachers who really dont care what you do after school and make you do the homework that is given so you get it and gives you more practice on how to do it ect and studying is helping you learn it better and even more... So we should just learn to suck it up and do it anyway, I mean when we go to work when we are out of high school we will be doing twice the work... So we might as well learn now
Posted by 18freckles 7 years ago
18freckles
lol okay i see
Posted by Vampire_Babe 8 years ago
Vampire_Babe
umm no im actually younger
Posted by 18freckles 8 years ago
18freckles
your 18yrs old and your starting 8th grade?
Vote Placed by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
Vampire_Babe18frecklesTied
Vote Placed by 18freckles 7 years ago
18freckles
Vampire_Babe18frecklesTied
Vote Placed by saamanthagrl 7 years ago
saamanthagrl
Vampire_Babe18frecklesTied