westerly2004
Xxxdean_is_a_BAMFxxX

Homework Should Be Abolished

Con Tied Pro
The Voting Period Ends In
01day11hours59minutes47seconds
Updated: 5 days ago Status: Voting Period

westerly2004

Con

Hello, Casida, (just thought this would be easier to call you,) I started the debate we were planning on doing. Debate format is as follows:
Round 1: acceptance
Round 2-3: short rebuttal and arguments
Round 4: Rebuttal and closing statements-no new arguments

Let's debate to the death!!!!
Xxxdean_is_a_BAMFxxX

Pro

A.) Casida has a K...
B.) Maybe NOT to the death...
C.) Someone picked up my other debate, YAY
westerly2004

Con

Firstly, let me define the important terms.
~Homework: work that teachers give their students to do at home
~Abolished: to end an activity or custom officially

The argument I will be saying in this round is:
~homework is beneficial to children in moderate amounts
And in Round 3 I will be stating that:
~homework enables school days to be shorter
Then in the final round, I will be doing a rebuttal of my opponents well-meaning, but perhaps misguided views.

Firstly, homework is beneficial to children in schools, as long as it is in moderate amounts. I, as team opposition, understand that in large amounts, homework can overload the child and can be very stressful. But when moderated, homework can be extremely beneficial. The most common benefit of homework is the obvious, improvement in academics. "Researchers who looked at data from more than 18,000 10th-graders found there was little correlation between the time students spent doing homework and better grades in math and science courses. But, according to a study on the research, they did find a positive relationship between standardized test performance and the amount of time spent on homework." This source obviously shows the correlations found in tests.

However, doing homework has a lot of less-know benefits for children "Pryor-Johnson identifies four qualities children develop when they complete homework that can help them become high-achieving students: responsibility; time management; perseverance; and self-esteem. While these cannot be measured on standardized tests, perseverance has garnered a lot of attention as an essential skill for successful students. Regular accomplishments like finishing homework build self-esteem, which aids students" mental and physical health. Responsibility and time management are highly desirable qualities that benefit students long after they graduate." My source clearly demonstrates my point. Whilst the general public may not know these benefits, they are there, improving the child's work across the board.

So, as you can clearly see from these arguments, and the sources I have provided, homework should not be abolished because it is beneficial to the children who do them.

~http://dictionary.cambridge.org...
~http://dictionary.cambridge.org...
~http://education.cu-portland.edu...
~https://www.washingtonpost.com...
Xxxdean_is_a_BAMFxxX

Pro

I accept your definitions for homework and abolished.

The arguments that I will be saying in this round are that;
-Homework is time consuming
-It can put unnecessary pressure on a student
-The student doesn't always do the homework
And in Round 3 I will be telling you how;
-There is no need for homework
-Children can still work at home
Then, in the 4th round, I will inform you on why my worthy opponent has not properly forwarded her argument (politely).

Moving on, homework takes time out of an already busy day. Pupils will have to wake up early in the morning at say, 6:00 just to get to school on time. School then ends at around 3:30 - 5:00 depending on where you live, and then you have to take into account the many extra-curricular activities or outings with friends that a student would participate in. By now, the time is at 7:00 - 9:00, and the pupil would be exhausted. The last thing that they need, is to have to stay up later in order to do their homework. "The average kid has a busy day. There's school, taking care of your pets, running around with friends, going to sports practice or other activities, and DOING YOUR HOMEWORK. By the end of the day, your body needs a break."
"When your body doesn't have enough hours to rest, you may feel tired or cranky, or you may be unable to think clearly. You might have a hard time following directions, or you might have an argument with a friend over something really stupid. A school assignment that's normally easy may feel impossible, or you may feel clumsy playing your favorite sport or instrument."
Your body wouldn't have enough hours to rest, because in the precious time that a student should be sleeping and regaining their energy, they would be forced to do their homework in order to get a decent grade. That brings me on to my next point.

Homework causes unneeded stress in a students life. "'Spending too much time struggling with homework can harm your child's health, worrying about whether they can do it can make them nervous, anxious and lacking in confidence, and deprives them of a proper rest after school,' says Dr. Donaldson." Pupils who aren't at the top of the heap when it comes to getting grades are probably feeling less intelligent than the students who are. Homework only increases their stress level, as they will try to compete with the 'better' student. Students already have enough to worry about, excluding the homework, there is also: social drama, parental disputes and emotional changes within themselves to contend with. So, they might turn to another for aid... such as their parents.

That leads me on to my next point. Children aren't always the ones who did the homework they hand in. I myself am guilty of doing this, and I don't even struggle with school. It is just that a day s so busy, and my schedule won't leave any time that can be spared for homework. Some pupils have it worse, however, and they don't just ask for assistance. Out there in the world there are many devoted parents who, after their child has gone to bed, will do their homework for them in order to save trouble later on. Then, when the teacher receives the work; they will be grading an adult, not a child. The child will not receive the full learning experience, and so the benefits of homework are negated.

So, as you can clearly understand, any benefits homework might have given a child doesn't work as the child won't have done the homework because there isn't enough time in their schedule.

http://www.kidshealth.org...
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk...
westerly2004

Con

Right, before I begin my arguments, I shall do a short rebuttal of my worthy opponent's arguments. I said in my previous arguments, that homework in moderate or small amounts is beneficial. I have stressed that throughout my arguments. And then my opponent went on to say that homework can be too much, and too stressful. That the child won't have any time to do homework. Well, I will elaborate this in my rebuttal, however, I said in moderate amounts. In moderate amounts, 1 small assignment a night due in two days can't be too stressful, can it?

Now onto my argument. Homework enables the day to be shorter. My opponent claims that the day is too busy for the child. However, the day would be even longer without homework. Homework enables teachers to get through work that there isn't time for in class, and to finish off class work from that day. Without homework, school days would be much longer. What proof of that is there? you might say. However, one does not need proof. Logic serves the mind just as well.

If my opponent's claims that "there is too much homework", just pause to think about what would happen if that homework is eliminated. How much work is done at home as homework? How many assignments, and school work is done at home? How much studying at home? Well, imagine if homework is taken away. Then how many hours would be added on the set school day? If we aren't going to be finishing schoolwork in class, and teachers can't set is at homework, we would need longer lessons. And what about those major assessments, or in high school, that huge coursework? A teacher can't set that as homework, since we're abolishing it, so it must be done in class. And classes are already full of work already, where would one find the time to do it? The answer, the school days must be elongated. So that student's "already busy day" would be even longer.

Of course, you may say students will just do the work at home on their own. And they can do it on their own. But let's be honest with ourselves, how many of us actually do that? How many of us would finish of the work we did in class at home, if it wasn't set? The sad answer, not very many of us. We can't find the motivation, or work up the trouble to do it, if it wasn't mandatory or required. After all, many students just can't be bothered half the time, me included.

So, if homework is abolished, school days would be much longer, and who would want that? No one.
Xxxdean_is_a_BAMFxxX

Pro

Before I present the remainder of my speech, I will deliver a succinct rebuttal, pertaining to some flaws in my worthy opponents' reasoning. First of all, in my speech I stated that homework takes time, because not all students are brilliant at all subjects, that homework is stressful to a child - and they do not need that amount of stress and that a child might not always be the one completing the homework. The second part of the aforementioned arguments were ones that you seemed to have conveniently overlooked. Secondly, you stated that homework in MODERATE amounts would be acceptable; but moderate is a relative term, and how can you ensure that this MODERATE happens (I will expand on more in rebuttal)? Also, you said that the child would have to the homework at school, making the school day longer, but that leads me on to my first argument.
There is not any need for homework in the first place. From your very own source (https://www.washingtonpost.com......)
"The value of homework has been the subject of various research studies over the years, yet there is still no conclusive evidence that it makes a big difference in helping students improve achievement. The most often-cited studies are those that conclude that there is virtually no evidence that it helps in elementary school but some evidence that it does improve academic performance in later grades. Yet this newest study looked at 10th graders and found no correlation." Your source also says that; "Researchers who looked at data from more than 18,000 10th-graders found there was little correlation between the time students spent doing homework and better grades in math and science courses."
Not only that, but please don't forget the part where the PUPIL SPENDS THE MAJORITY OF THEIR DAY LEARNING NEW INFORMATION.
Yes, it is a teachers" job to teach their students, and that includes giving them ample time to test out their knowledge without removing time from an already busy day. The pupil would leave that class with knowledge that they can utilize in the future. Also, teachers are known for giving their students a review sheet to do in class so they can be sure a student has fully grasped the concept. With this structure, homework is made obsolete. Therefore, a school day would simply remain the same length as homework would become non-existent.
Moving forward to my second argument, you stated that a child learns responsibility from mandatory homework. On the contrary, the only thing a child learns is how to feel stress, and a pupil can actually learn responsibility more without the presence of homework. As you stated before, it is hard to get up and do homework, but the pupils that got up would be doubly as responsible as the work was not necessary before-hand. We are not saying that a child cannot work independently at home, but only that it should not be mandatory.
So, if homework is abolished, children will gain more responsibility in life.
westerly2004

Con

Time for the final round, the rebuttal round. Let me tell you what happened in this debate.

Firstly, I told you that homework is beneficial in moderate amounts. My opponent then tried to rebut this argument, saying that “
moderate is a relative term, and how can you ensure that this MODERATE happens” however, I have already answered this, I regard moderate as one or two pieces of small homework due in two or three days and the occasional large coursework or studying for a test. Furthermore, the title of this debate is “Homework Should Be Abolished”, not “Homework Should Be Regulated”. Ensuring that “moderate happens” is irrelevant. Also, just because some teachers can be mean and give large amounts of homework doesn’t mean all homework should be banned. That is a rather extreme response to such a small thing, don’t you think? I think so. Also, my worthy opponent said that “any benefits homework might have given a child doesn't work as the child won't have done the homework because there isn't enough time in their schedule”, however, as I have already shown you, moderate amounts will allow the child to do the homework.

My opponent then tried to tell you that homework is time consuming, it can put unnecessary pressure on a student, and the student doesn't always do the homework. However, I have already answered the first point, as I have kept saying “in moderate amounts” which my opponent keeps brushing aside with a few remarks. Furthermore, my opponent said “pupils will have to wake up early in the morning at say, 6:00 just to get to school on time”, however, it takes an average of 45 minutes-> 1 hour to get ready. Taking the latest time, the student will be able to get to school at 7:00. Normally, school starts at 8:30, is there really no local school, and it takes 1 hour and a half to get to school!? Also, my opponent gave the example of a schedule. She gave the times 6:00am->9:00pm at the latest. If the student has such an extreme schedule such as this, the student is clearly overworking him/herself and should consider dropping a few extra-curriculars. But the majority of students don’t have such extreme schedules such as this. My opponent’s second point, again, has been rebutted as most schools don’t give out heaps of homework, merely moderate amounts. My opponent’s third point, however, is an extreme case. How many student’s parents would do their work for them? Not many. The majority of parents are responsible, and would therefore make the child do their homework themselves. Your case is an extreme case, and not the majority, so your argument doesn’t hold much credibility.

Then I went on to tell you that homework enables school days to be shorter. Once again, my worthy opponent tried to rebut my argument. She said that “Also, teachers are known for giving their students a review sheet to do in class so they can be sure a student has fully grasped the concept. With this structure, homework is made obsolete. Therefore, a school day would simply remain the same length as homework would become non-existent.” However, this doesn’t answer my point at all. She has claimed that with a review sheet in class, homework is made obsolete, so the school days would remain the same length. However, what about all the coursework and studying done at home, not to mention all the finished classwork. We can’t guarantee the student will do it. So my opponent has not properly addressed my point. After all, one measly review sheet can’t add up to work being done at home.

In Round 3, my opponent tried to tell you that there is no need for homework and children can still work at home. To back up her point, my opponent tried to use my own source against me. She pointed out that
The value of homework has been the subject of various research studies over the years, yet there is still no conclusive evidence that it makes a big difference in helping students improve achievement. The most often-cited studies are those that conclude that there is virtually no evidence that it helps in elementary school but some evidence that it does improve academic performance in later grades. Yet this newest study looked at 10th graders and found no correlation”, but very conveniently didn’t emphasize a point in there, if you take a closer look, you will find in that quote these words “but some evidence that it does improve academic performance in later grades”, so in fact, my opponent is helping my case, and supporting my case! Then, in the second part of my worthy opponent’s quote, she said “Researchers who looked at data from more than 18,000 10th-graders found there was little correlation between the time students spent doing homework and better grades in math and science courses.” However, if you continue reading the article she found this from, (https://www.washingtonpost.com...,) you will find these words “But,according to a study on the research, they did find a positive relationship between standardized test performance and the amount of time spent on homework.” As you can see, my opponent is cherry-picking from the article, choosing quotes which support her case, but leaving out the rest if it points otherwise. My opponent then went on to say that students can do work by themselves. However, let’s be honest. How many of us would actually do that? How many of us, would, if given the choice, do work at home? Not many of us. Not I, and probably, not you. So homework must be mandatory to get things done.

As you can see, I have addressed all of my worthy opponent’s points. However, when it came to addressing mine, my opponent fell painfully short. She has not told us why:
~homework does not have benefits, merely why the benefits are obsolete, which I have rebutted
~there is not work done at home such as classwork, studying, and coursework that take up a lot of time collectively
~students would do work at home given the choice, and teachers could trust them to do it and not have to stretch the school day

So now, I will leave you with a quote to think over:
"
Nothing is more powerful for your future than being a gatherer of good ideas and information. That's called doing your homework." -Jim Rohn

Xxxdean_is_a_BAMFxxX

Pro

To close this debate, I will conduct my reply.

To start the debate off, my worthy opponent said that homework is great if it is given in decent amounts. My opponent has continued to disregard the fact that many children are burdened with heavy schedules and even homework in moderate amounts may be too much. My opponent also refused to acknowledge the fact that although a child might have the time to do the homework, they might not. It was stated in the argument itself; "How many of us, would, if given the choice, do work at home? (...) Not I". My opponent has not realized that many children won't do their homework anyway, seeing as they have the advantage of a parent. A parent will most often complete or even do a child's homework for them if they see the child in distress or frustrated because it is in their nature to help a distressed member if their family. A child would take advantage of this, and simply not do the homework, therefore making any benefits of doing the homework worth nothing as THEY would NOT be the ones learning from it. You also have no sources proving that the parents taking over homework is not common, however I have personal experience AND common sense on my side. Humans are built to take advantage of opportunities that arise. We learn to adapt so that we can do things with minimal effort, and the same goes for homework. My opponent has offered a weak and inadequate response to my argument expressed in the 2nd round, indicating that he/she knows that it is true and does not want to admit it.

Secondly my opponent appears to be under the delusion that every person lives in the UK or the US. Many countries don't start school at the same time as others, and he/she has also conveniently missed the part where not EVERYONE who goes to school has the ability to drive everywhere or has a local school. Some people who have smaller pockets than others might have to walk a very long distance to their school, and this will take time out of their day on both sides, especially if they have other extra-curricular activities.

After that, my opponent attempted to give the impression that a student needs homework because work in class isn't good enough. Again, they have forgotten the fact that 'it is a teacher's job to teach their students and to give them ample time to test their knowledge without removing time from an already busy day.' Again, please notice how my opponent managed to skim over that particular part of my argument. A review sheet is a way for a teacher to check up on a students progress, and they can then plan their lessons accordingly.

Following that argument, my worthy opponent provided an extract from our shared source. However, only SOME evidence pointed to her/ his findings, and the article neglected to mention the OTHER findings that disproved their studies. This proves that the article is biased, and does not wish to enlighten the reader with anything other than a brief glimpse at the other side of the argument which is what I am trying to do.

I enlightened my opponent on the fact that students will learn key life skills such as how to be responsible if they didn't have homework... Which he/ she then promptly ignored.

So, it is obvious that my opponent had two very weak arguments to present today and the third one was not announced, (it was only briefly added to her/ his speech, so I do not count it as an argument), whereas I had five strong arguments.

I HAVE indeed told you that;
Homework does not have benefits as a child won't be the one doing it for obvious reasons
And that responsible students will do work at home if they care about their future.

My opponent would have known this if she had properly read my arguments beforehand and it is apparent that she did not. Yet, she has NOT told me that:

Homework IS NOT time consuming (in fact, she/ he told us that this IN in her reply. "There is work done at home such as class work, studying and coursework that take up a lot of time")

That homework DOES NOT put stress on a student.

That a student NEVER takes the easy way out and get their parents do their homework.

That homework is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to life.

And that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY of a child doing extra work at home because they want a good grade and to be responsible.

That, more than anything, is why homework should be abolished.

P.S. Now that the debate is over, I would like to point out that my opponent constantly referred to me as a 'she' which I find to be very discriminative and creepy.