KingDebator
Memezz

Homework Should Not Be Given In Schools

KingDebator

KingDebator

Pro

I think that homework should not be given in school. Yes homework sometimes benefits students but it also prevents them from having free time. For example if a student was given about 4 different sets of homework from separate classes that were due the next day,student is expected to submit the homework for each class the next day and if he/she doesn't they are punished. To avoid being punished, the student would have to spend countless hours doing each set of homework and therefore this limits their free time to enjoy life. This can also prevent them from getting 8 hours of sleep because they struggle to do the homework and when you don't get enough sleep,you can't function 100% the next day. I'm not saying that all homework is bad I'm just saying that homework can prevent a student from enjoying their free time.

Students have to go to school 6-8 hours a day, 5 times a week and then they still have to do homework when they get home. I don't think this is fair honestly. So in total students not only spend time at school doing work but then they have to go home and do more work and they may even have to do chores. So basically the students spend more time doing work than interacting and enjoying themselves. The weekend isn't even a time to relax anymore because on the weekends homework doubles(most of the time)

In closing I would like to say once again that homework is not necessarily a bad thing but it cuts down a student's free time and may overwhelm the student. It can cause sleep loss,mental exhaustion and even stress. This is my opinion and I believe in freedom of speech so please don't hate because I'm stating my opinion. Thanks for reading.
Memezz

Con

Well Kids need homework to practice the skills they learnt and can be used as a study guide
KingDebator

Pro

"Well Kids need homework to practice the skills they learnt and can be used as a study guide"

Although this is true, homework can also put a lot of stress on the students and as I said before it limits their free time and can cause sleep loss.

If a student stays up all night doing homework doesn't it become hard for them to stay attentive in class the next day?

Homework as I said before is not necessarily a bad thing. Yes it can be used as a guide for revision but it can also be a bucket of stress waiting to explode.

The more stress put on students can limit their learning and ability to function during class.

So in conclusion, homework can be useful and beneficial but it also has a lot of downsides to it which include stress,mental exhaustion,being tired,sleep loss and limits free time and social interactions just to name a few. Homework adds more pressure to already pressured students and adds load to their already stressful school career.

It's been nice debating with you. Thank you for accepting this challenge and have a nice day/night.
Memezz

Con

then why blame the homework and not the teachers. They shouldnt eliminate homework but make it easy enough for kids to do it but still have a challenge
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: RyuuKyuzo// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Con (Conduct, S&G, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Instead of presenting any arguments, con simply makes assertions antagonistic towards pro's resolution. It would have been beneficial for either side to cite data on the effects of homework on students, both in regards to their mental health and their performance, but since no citations were made I'm tying sources. What little con said was also rife with spelling and grammatical errors.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn"t explain conduct. Being antagonistic towards the resolution is not a conduct violation. (2) S&G is insufficiently explained. The voter is required to do more than state that there were errors on one side " it must be clear that those errors impeded understanding of the given arguments. (3) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter is required to assess specific arguments made by both debaters, but only assesses Con"s general arguments and none of Pro"s.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: DboPoint// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Pro (S&G, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: I think pro made more convincing arguments, although not enough to make me change my mind about this topic. We should keep homework, as it is critical for long term development. Kids need to learn responsibilities from early age

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn"t explain S&G. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter has to do more than simply state their opinion on the topic and repeat the point allocation. They must specifically assess arguments made by both sides in the debate.
Posted by Memezz 1 year ago
Memezz
never thought you'd see someone with the username MEMEZZ to be talking about this
Vote Placed by Verithenes 1 year ago
Verithenes
KingDebatorMemezzTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided substantial reasons for why students shouldn't get homework while Con's arguments were only a sentence long and did not answer everything Pro said. For those reasons I vote for Pro