Homework: Turns out there are conflicting studies

I'm challenging anyone who wants to step up to it.

Here is my argument:

Studies show that homework, in the wrong amounts, actually has educational inconveniences. To begin, while some studies show a certain minimum of practice is needed per night, others show that one can't learn everything they need to hard wire into their brain at a young age at school.

Other studies show that if a teacher assigns no more than the equivalent of ten math problems per night, they can grade more thoroughly and don't have to spot check. If a child shows a pattern of making the same mistake the teacher has time to give a large amount of individualized homework, based on that individual students needs.

Also, studies show that if someone does the wrong method 55 times, instead of ten times, it's harder to correct the mistake because the doing makes it more a habit then telling the person that their way is wrong afterwards.

And, studies show that there's actually something educationally unfair about homework. Not to all students, but to ones who come from poorer families. Let's say a child comes from a lower middle class home. This kid (we'll call him John for example purposes), has no mathematician father. John is terrible at math. His mother may not be a mathematician either. Let's say he wants to afford a tutor. Well, he can't because he doesn't have enough money. Let's say he tries to get peer tutoring, but that isn't as good for him as professional tutoring would be. Well, looks like he's going to do terrible in comparison with another kid (let's call this other kid Bo). Bo may be terrible at math also, but because his family can afford a tutor and because he's got a dad who's a rocket scientist, he doesn't have to worry about homework. So you could have two perfectly stupid kids and one can get straight As on their homework without cheating. Is that fair? If the teacher corrects John in class, that may not be enough to truly inculcate the knowledge into John, even with the teacher going over the homework because people like John usually need individual attention.

And now to my next point. In countries like Finland, which have the best education systems in the world (or a lot of the ones in Europe anyways), they have very little homework but the people are way more educated. A kid from Finland moves here in per-say fifth grade and their way ahead of their peers here in the US. Why? Because Finland has a way better education system than here.

And in fact, some schools in the US actually give their kids less work. A lot of these schools tend to do better in state standardized tests, the SAT, etc, than almost any other school in the country. Their scores end up going up, less than a few years after they stop assigning tons of homework.

Also, studies show that one can't learn every non-school lesson in a lunch room or on a playground. Parts of the brain actually grow from living a well-rounded life.

I challenge anyone who thinks they can defeat each of these points individually. The opposite side also should be able to compare studies that support homework to studies that go against it, and depict flaws in each of my points. I will do the same to the other side's arguments, mainly. But you can use other arguments besides studies; any argument will do.

I believe that homework is quite beneficial. I am a high school student that applied for AP classes not just for the class but also the homework. I have quite an addiction to the Internet, so in order to overcome it I decided to take AP classes. I like to study, but sometimes I forget things. For example, people sometimes don't take notes. Homework is like a reminder to study almost everyday. My fellow friends love homework! It helps with tests and quizzes. Also homework is 30% of our grade.

I found this article on DUKEtoday

It was from 2006, but I do believe our thinking is still the same on thins subject.

Now, onto your example with "John". He studies, takes notes, listens to teachers, etc! I personally am from a family that doesn't speak English! Their ways of doing equations was different! I had no way to do my math, English, science, or social studies homework! I went to tutoring, I learned English! I developed my way of learning things. I am a honor student now. My family was poor until we opened up a restaurant, and that was after 7th grade. But still, tutoring was FREE. Also it was easy to learn my subjects! I did my homework, I learned from my mistakes, I got a's!

I have NO PROBLEM AT ALL with homework. It also helps relieve stress when I study.

Sincerely, wackobirdy. (I'm sorry if I make some mistakes, this my first time doing a debate) THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Okay, that's YOUR perspective. The problem is let me ask you this. What percentage of kids are actually like you in the sense of homework? Most kids aren't like you, and want to do other stuff. Studies show that a certain percentage of other stuff is beneficial. You didn't answer every single question though. I mean that because, what would happen if you were assigned less homework and your grades went up? Because schools that do that tend to get higher test scores.

Also, maybe YOU have anxiety relief from doing homework. The problem is, you don't need that much to remember what your learning. Busywork vs. meaningful work, actually is needed to an extent for a large percentage of people to remember what they learn, even if they don't know it. For example, if you have tons of English one night, that homework is just busywork. Why? In the case of school, the homework itself should TEACH you something NEW and not just review. They do it sometimes, but most math worksheets are just fifty five problems of review. You rarely get realistic word problems, specifically the type that apply in realistic situations. I mean, if your learning about functions, you should have a few problems that are all pretty much real life word problems. Example: if you make x many dollars per-day, with y number of employees, increasing at z rate per day, how much money will you make? Then you could go into questions that involve deeper mathematical questions like using rules of logic. Take maybe ten hard word problems like that, or problems that involve deeper concepts, and you have a lot more than what 300 problems that say "graph this function" will teach you.

Also, I have a teacher at my school, named Mr. Paul. He's up in the league with scientists who almost win Nobel prizes. He had a friend who had the equivalent of that, but for math. He has multiple masters degrees. Mr. Paul's students are most of the smartest in my school and he gives almost NO homework in his classes. He's been informed by his math prize winning friends, about how mathematics is taught nowadays. The truth is, they are using 21st century technology, made possible by 20th century math and science, to teach 19th century math. 21st century math classes, tend to teach differently and have less homework. That is, if you ask him. Have you ever heard of piece-wise functions?

Also, you are right that you don't want to go too extreme in having too little homework. But I'll show you an article of mine that mostly states my original point but answers your question.

That's the second page of the article. You don't need any more than ten minutes per grade level per night. Also, that whole article is only one of millions about homework and how its changing. Just type in "homework revolution" on google. Some people, believe it or not, aren't excited about their academic work. You happen to probably be an academic genius. So that's great for you, but most kids in your position, are a lot more like my example. And experts actually agree with me on most of these points.

You also don't address this argument: "You can't learn everything in school." I say that because you can't. There are a lot of important life lessons and experiences that you have to go out into the unsupervised world to learn. You can't learn everything under the supervision of a teacher or a parent. A lot of these things are healthy to learn as a child, AND have a positive correlation on many people's grades.

Also, you didn't address the convenience to teachers, which is a part of these studies.

Wackobirdy forfeited this round.

ghostheadx forfeited this round.

Wackobirdy forfeited this round.

ghostheadx forfeited this round.

Wackobirdy forfeited this round.
Posted by LevelWithMe 3 years ago
Citation needed.
Vote Placed by johnnyvbassist 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: The contender forfeited. I assume he was accepting a loss.