Bergazdenova
Sabinaz

Homework is a waste of time

Bergazdenova

Con

Do you think that homework is a waste of time? I strongly believe that it is wrong to think that due to that it helps us to improve and fix our knowledge. To my mind we need homework to better understand topics that we have learned at school. It is known that teachers do not have enough time to explain everything clearly to each student. Moreover, it helps us to become more responsible by working independently. I believe that homework helped me to become more organized too. Because of that I did it every day of each academic year I got used to do evetything on time and in a good quantity. It can be added that if you are more organized then it means that you will do every work faster than it could be done.
Sabinaz

Pro

Time is very valuable. We should give some time for ourselves. School without this takes a lot of time and we need to have a time when we do not have to concentrate in study. Yes, of course , you can say that in addition to all the lessons abound free time. However, it is not. People have time to only half of their cases. Someone not getting enough sleep , doing lessons until late. In the end, all of this together can result in stress, depression, nervous breakdown, poor health . If you say that it allows you to become more organized, in order to become such is quite simple to learn and invest efforts at the lesson .Education is not the only important activity in everyone`s day; physical activity, play, and time with family are just as important as all teach life skills just in different ways. The internet makes it possible to be learning at home, there are even many computer games that help with learning. Homework clashes with these other activities. It can damage family relationships as it means parents have to try and make their children do their homework.
Bergazdenova

Con

To my mind We have to expect to get a certain amount of homework per day and build other activities around the homework. Homework can be a useful part of time with family as it provides a chance for parents and other relatives to take part in schooling. Also, I would like to add that We should think of homework as being a continuation of our classwork. Not everyone in the class works at the same rate so it is necessary for teachers to give anyone who is falling behind the chance to catch up. If this was done in class those who are faster would have nothing to do during this time, which would be a real waste of time. Homework then allows those who are behind to take as long as they need to catch up with the rest of the class. Of course, you may say that teachers should not give classwork as homework. However, what about that during lesson students have a habit to ask many questions in order to understand a new topic, therefore teachers do not have enough time to explain everything. Moreover, if they leave some information due to they have a schedule for every academic year then what knowledge will students have?
Sabinaz

Pro

Homework does not only take up time doing the homework at home but also takes up time in class. First there is the time that the teacher takes when explaining the task. Then more time is taken going through the homework when it is done and marked. This time could be better spent engaging with the class to find out what they do and don"t understand. The answer to this is to have more time in class rather than boring homework.
We are not the only ones who take a lot of time on homework, our teachers do as well. The teacher needs to design the homework, explain it, mark each piece individually, and tell everyone what they got right and wrong. If all this is not done then the homework loses its value as we need to be told individually what our mistakes are to be able to learn from homework. Teachers could as easily use the classwork to find out who knows what they are doing and who are making mistakes and it would save them time.
Bergazdenova

Con

Fitst of all I would like to add that anyway teachers have to repeat last topic in order to see did everyone understand it or not. Therefore I think that when homework does take up time in class it is helpful for learning. And when it does not then it does not harm the classwork. Homework aids classwork by providing a space for those who have not finished the work to catch up and by helping us to remember what we did in class. Do not you think that Homework is a way for you to practice what you are learning? If you didn't have homework, you would have to stay in school until you finished your practice, and since everyone works at different rates, you'd be there until the slowest people finally caught on. Will you like it?
Sabinaz

Pro

Especially if we get too much homework it can take the enjoyment out of learning. No matter how engaging the teacher is in class homework will almost certainly be stressful, boring and tiring. It is simply much harder to make homework engaging and interesting as it is often done on our own. We know that there is no direct link between how much homework is set and grades. Studies done on this come to different conclusions so teachers should only set homework when they are sure it is needed. When we only get homework occasionally we will consider that piece more important and a better use of time.
Bergazdenova

Con

To my mind our debate is not about size of homework, therefore we cannot talk about too much homework. However, I believe that doing homework will not make you "smarter," but it will teach you how to use the "smarts" that you have in your brain already - doing homework makes you faster and better at doing other things.Homework is something that we all need. Homework helps us develop a work ethic and get better grades. Homework can be a good and bad thing. Homework shouldnt be stacked on top of each other but planned out from teacher to teacher. Moreover, to conclude I would like to add that Im a student who relies on homework to help me out on grades and preparing for tests. So, I totally believe that all students have to do homework in order to at least develop their skills.
Sabinaz

Pro

Yes we all need a good education but homework is just over the top. We have no idea why teachers think that 6-7 hours a day, 5 days a week isn't enough. That's plenty of time. And on top of homework, I have at least an hour of music practise to do. The jump from year (grade) 8 to high school is significant as each teacher we have does not have ANY sympathy about us having homework from various other teachers. I have a poor relationship with my parents as I hardly ever get to spend time with them. Recently, I have been banned from playing games because I had so much homework to do (at least 4 assignments a week) that I went insane. My friends also think the same as me. Finland distributes no homework at all, yet 90% of all students graduate. Homework never teaches anyone anything for us. Also, most of the arguments between children and parents, are over homework. To restate our point, homework should be banned because it takes up too much time, doesn't have much use and causes arguments.