Ozzyhead
Peccantium

Homework is necessary

Peccantium

Ozzyhead

Pro

Homework from school is very necessary. Student's need to train their brains on the subject, and they also have to know responsibility. The main drive behind homework is to teach kids responsibility. Video games is not a responsibility, television is not a responsibility, so students should not exclaim that they don't have enough time in the day to do it. While those things are good for cooling down the brain, they are not needed, and they can indeed come after homework is done. If students do not understand the work, then they should go to their school's after-school period to talk to their teacher. The student should not have another responsibility before homework. When sending their children off to school, parents ought to understand that homework and school work should come first with very few exceptions. Students need to learn prioritizing. Yes, students are challenged more than they used to be, but anyone can meet those challenges if they put their minds to it.
Peccantium

Con

1. No, students do not need to do homework. Or maybe it fits better to say they shouldn't. They need to train their brain on the subject? Why not do this in the seven hours they are actually in school? Yes, its good to give them a little bit of review every now and then to make sure they are learning, but that is simply not what teachers normally do.
2.Not all students learn by independent work. Some kids need to be walked through problems many different times, and have trouble learning otherwise. But if they are given independent work before they may fully understand the subject, they are in a bad position. If they don't understand a subject and cant do the work, and therefore don't do it, they most often get in trouble or are given bad grades. If they don't understand the subject, but try to at least do the work, they most likely will not do good on that assignment. Depending on the teacher, a student may be punished for doing bad on an assignment.
3. Believe it or not students have lives outside of school. You say that video games are not necessary, but in the end what position is school in to tell students what order their priorities are in? If a soccer coach for a local recreation kid's team tells the kids on the team that soccer practice comes before homework, people would say the coach is out of place, and he cant control the kid's priorities. So how come when a teacher tells a student he must put his homework before soccer, do we think the teacher is right? Think about it. Why is school more important than soccer? Because the teacher said so? What gives them that power? School tells kids it is more important than their lives and what they want. School tells kids everything must come after school work and it does not matter what they think is important. And the parents blindly enforce the same rules.
Ozzyhead

Pro

I agree with my opponent's statement that some students need to be walked through a problem over and over again, and I am a great example of that myself. But the reason we can't train them on the subject all day in school is because other curriculum needs to be addressed. I believe you are right when you say students may need help from others like teachers, and I believe that its not always the student's fault that they don't approach a teacher because some teachers come across as unapproachable, but, at least at my school, students are able to visit a center where teachers who are not scheduled for a class stay inside and help students on the subject. Also sometimes it can seem embarrassing to approach a teacher about what may seem easy to others.
Teachers are seen as authority figures and are responsible for a student's knowledge for the future. Teachers are guides for students. Teachers, especially elementary school teachers, are way more than just babysitters and more than someone who teaches ABC and 123. While some kids don't seem to think, teachers do care for students. The students aren't just some things to serve for income. Teachers become teachers because of the passion they have for teaching. Think about it, lower pay. I mean come on, science teachers are only a few more college years from being PhD graduates and being rich off their knockers. School is where a child spends most of his/her life, and school is the grounds of what the future is like for that child. Parents don't blindly enforce it. Lots of parents think that teachers know better for the children then they do themselves, and you know what, they do. I see too many parents let their kids give up on something challenging. The best teacher in this state for 30 years (though he is my uncle, I am not biased because he has won awards of such titles) has challenged kids beyond what they, and what their parents, thought they could do. Children too easily say "I can't do it" and instead of figuring out what's wrong, parents accept this and blame the teacher for being too hard. But you know what, he pushed them, he invited them to ask for help, he is retired and he still goes to the school on the weekends to tutor and review for tests. He also assists in writing papers regardless the class. He was a history teacher and will aide with an English paper. He has proven that kids CAN do it. In his eyes, he has seen the star wrestler on the team go 15-0 in a season and pull away with an A. These kids can do it. But for the most part, these kids aren't challenged enough at home. Parents just let their children give up, and even stand up for their children when they give up. They don't even try. I was raised in a household at a time where kids and parents were like this, but my parents didn't let me pull the stuff others did, and now I'm off in college trying to further myself. Every night I could b***h and moan about how it's too hard, but they would never slide with them. I'm sorry if I seem to have turned this in to a 'how to parent'/kids need better parents' debate, but it's asinine the way parents are. Parents first blame the teacher for their child's failure. 'It's too hard' or 'too much'. Some parents are teaching their kids how to cheat! I know a student got caught stealing the test from the teacher's drawer and the parent didn't see the problem! Children aren't challenged enough. I think some teachers SEEM unapproachable, but they fail when you fail. If students have a low performance record, it comes down on the teacher's head, so they would help no problem. There may be a hard teacher, with a loud voice and strict rules, but they will help you if you need it, and if not, which is unlikely, there is always someone in the school that should help. I was a troubled student as you mention in your second point. I was a good kid, but not good academically. I struggled, and I got work all the time without fully understanding, and I would hand in blank work with me saying that to the teacher, and they said "come see me then". I think schools should give a free time during the day other than lunch time to get help. Students CAN do it, they just need to be pushed to do it. And the best one to push them is themselves. As a college student, I have homework sitting in my bag waiting to get done. I have not done it because I just don't get it. But I am going to receive help. And anyone can get help.
Peccantium

Con

OK, first let me say, I had lots of trouble in school too. I have ADHD and many other problems, so school was very hard. I would come home with about five minutes worth of homework and it would take me an hour. Or come home with an hours worth of homework and take 5 hours. I spent all my time home doing homework. In the afternoons I spent all afternoon doing homework, and was up late trying to finish. On the weekends I was doing projects or make up work. I couldn't play any sports, I didn't go anywhere on weekdays, couldn't play outside. I didn't get to go to church on some Sundays because I had too much work. I woke up, got ready, went to school for seven hours, then did home work all afternoon and went to bed. The only time I could do anything fun was when I lied to my parents and just didn't do the work. At that point I wasn't even learning anything. I just struggled to get work done and then forget about it and struggle with the next task. I always loved computers I just naturally could figure out how to fix things or find out how to do things on computers. That is what I wanted to do as a career. But I couldn't take time to play around with a computer or take some online course that taught me how to script. Because I had work. Why was this homework from school more important than learning about something I was interested in? Why was it more important for me to spend hours on language arts, or math, or social studies, than to learn how to program so I could do it for a living? Why was doing hours of homework worth not being a child? Not playing outside or hanging out with friends. We worry so much about educating our kids so they can have good careers, we smother them with so much work they don't get time to innovate and explore, and learn other things on their own that will help them in life. Schools could teach so much better in the seven hours they teach kids if we fixed the screwed up education system we have. But I will save that argument for a different debate. I strongly disagreed when you said, "Lots of parents think that teachers know better for the children then they do themselves, and you know what, they do." Parents see their kids true selves more than teachers do. And parents bring up and raise their kids to be how they are. Also, you are saying teachers push kids to do their best but parents just say its too hard. So that is why teachers teach what they need at school instead of sending work home.
Ozzyhead

Pro

You are absolutely right. A child's childhood should not be ripped away from them all over school. I would never, ever put my own child through that. As someone who wants to become a teacher, my eyes have been opened. While the IDEA of homework is something I think is needed, the idea of losing a childhood is needed. I wish there was an alternative solution to homework, and I would rather have no solution than no childhood. After a great debate and a great learning experience from my opponent, I am simply torn. I just want what's best for the educational/professional career of our students
Peccantium

Con

I am glad to see I have a open and fair minded opponent. I understand that school is usually an important part of a student's life. Here is what I propose. When students are in Kindergarten through fifth grade, they are given normal homework. But when students reach middle school, home work should be optional, and should not be included in their grades. Kids that do the work are interested in their education, and think the stuff they are learning is important. Kids that don't do the work may not for multiple reasons. I know some kids will be to lazy or immature to do anything, but that will be their choice. Parents and teachers often know what's best for their kids or students, but at one point kids know what's best for themselves more than anyone else. The reason we wait until middle school to give kids the power to control their own education is because before that age most kids have not matured enough to know what's going to be best for them down the road. I would like to thank my opponent for a great debate.
Vote Placed by STALIN 2 years ago
STALIN
OzzyheadPeccantiumTied
Reasons for voting decision: Hard debate. Really close
Vote Placed by knightj 2 years ago
knightj
OzzyheadPeccantiumTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was hard to vote on. I think that in the end, con did make more convincing arguments, but not by far, it was very close. I gave pro the grammar mark, only because I spotted a few more errors in con's than pro's, but not many.
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
OzzyheadPeccantiumTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession