MASTERY
KristinaC

Homework should be banned.

MASTERY

MASTERY

Con

Welcome to this debate
First round is for defining and last round is for concluding. I define homework "schoolwork that a pupil is required to do at home" and banned "as prohibited by law".

KristinaC

Pro

I am hoping I understand your format right:
I am arguing that the definition of schoolwork is incorrect as the homework is not actually required;
A student chooses to do the work assigned to get something in return for a grade. It is only required that a student earns high enough grades to move on to the next, but they can technically get away with not doing the homework if they choose and stay in that grade.

I only have 2 minutes so this is my first argument.
MASTERY

Con

Thank you for accepting my debate. Please note this is a FIVE MINUTE debate as you probably have already noticed.

Your argument does not contain any information that implies homework should be banned.

Homework should not be banned because some students need help. Without homework, some newly learnt material can be lost through no revision. Homework allows them a chance to retain the information learnt for test day. This, in turn, gives them better grades. For the already proficient, homework should not be a problem.

KristinaC

Pro

Got it:
Homework should be banned as it causes risks to a child:
Added stress which creates health complications, they learn to grade self esteem on a scale because of the status of comparing grades to other students, it gives them pressure from parents which causes psychological issues related to self esteem based on love from parents or punishment for failure to meet a standard, and is technically a form of slavery.
MASTERY

Con

Homework should not be banned as they know that it is for their help, thus it does not create stress. It also does not go into reports. Banning homework does not help those homework enthusiasts, they will suffer from the decisions. A better way to go is let those who don't do homework not do homework.

KristinaC

Pro

This is not completely true; students may not understand that the homework is to their benefit, and technically it is not. Homework does not teach the student the information in any different way that the student can understand, It only gives the student example to work our the problem in a way that was already taught, and if the original way of teaching did not make the subject clear the the student, then the student still will not learn. TO learn the student needs to be taught to understand the information and work it out.
MASTERY

Con

The examples given in homework strengthen the student's skill by reinforcing it. The student already learnt the subject in the homework successfully, but to prevent forgetting the matter, the information and work is repeated on a constant basis. This ensures that the student has really mastered the content instead of having simply "memorised the content temporarily".

Homework teaches other non-work related things like responsibility as well. They learn that it is their duty to hand in their homework, and they will face consequences for not doing so. I will expand in the next argument.

Thank you
KristinaC

Pro

On Banning Homework:
Banning homework won't negatively affect those who enjoy home study. Those students will simply study in a different way from a required format or sheet, but it is actually more likely that the student can learn the material better by studying on their own in way they actually understand. A real life example is Ben Carson who studied on his own instead of in lecture, because his learning style was different.
-------------
The examples only work if the student can understand how to get through them; but classwork is just as easily a way to give students example on how to do the work, and is better as the teacher is right there to help explain. The homework does not guarantee that the student will not forget.
Students can also learn the same skills by using their time without homework to learnt to manage social life, and put thought into their future. It gives them time for extracurricular which also drives them towards a career based on their interest; something they don't have time for now because of homework.
MASTERY

Con

You said that students can study at home if homework is banned. But why create another layer of annoyance of obtaining the books? And teachers can hand out extension (harder) homework to suit the needs of specific students. You said that it wastes time. But, you need homework to be able to do that, for example how is the time supposed to help them if they don't know 1+1 ?

My opponent has not rebutted the fact that loosening homework will help. Besides, homework helps revise & strengthen material learnt and lets them gain responsibility of their actions
Thank you
KristinaC

Pro

Round Five Already!
Like I said this was fun.

-------------------
Final rebuttal:
The students can still use their books from class. They would already have them.
You're right; but it doesn't have to be required; it can be an extra credit for those who want to excel; also giving students HARDER homework when they don't understand the regular will only cause issue.

--------------------
In conclusion homework should be banned as it adds stress to the child, teaches them to grade themselves on something like understanding information compared to their peers, which causes low-self eseem, or esteem based on others, Strains the relationship of parents and child if the student doesn't do well.
Homework does not teach students information, but makes them practice a previously taught method; and if they did not undertsand the first time they will not have really learned the work.Classwork is a more viable option for giving students example, with the benefit of a teacher near.
Banning it will give students time to devleop their skills in the real world,as with extra curricular activities that they have interest in; they can work if they are old enough which gives them a head start in the work force, gives them time to take care of their health, like giving them time to exercise and sleep better and enjoy life.
Posted by Aleksandr 2 years ago
Aleksandr
I don't understand. Homework exercises you to get a clearer image of what work your doing particularly in maths, English and other. I don't think you understand how home work helps us more pro. Unless if your just challenging yourself to a debate then you don't need to take this comment.
Posted by KristinaC 2 years ago
KristinaC
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled then! And to you as well.
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
Yeah, I should have done 10 minutes. Even I am struggling to post debates so fast. I enjoyed the debate a lot, thank you.
Posted by KristinaC 2 years ago
KristinaC
I'm sorry; I am not used to such a fast style of debate. But this is actually fun.
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
SHORT_TIME (5.minutes)
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
MASTERYKristinaCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro recovered nicely after a woeful start. Con argued, quite decently, that homework is excellent revision, which helps retain information. Con also argued that there would be some who suffer by not getting homework, as these people want homework. Pro basically argued past all of this, saying that homework creates greater stress levels in students. Pro's other argument, that homework does not help students learn, was sufficiently counter-acted by Con, when he said that homework is for reinforcement of already learned material. However, Con argued past the 'increasing stress levels' argument, basically saying that it won't increase stress levels, without giving reasons as to why. Overall, I think both sides had one really strong argument, yet Con's additional argument of 'some people want homework', was enough to get him over the line.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
MASTERYKristinaCTied
Reasons for voting decision: S&P - Con: Only reason I give this to Con is because Pro made some spelling errors in round 3 & 5. Conduct - Tie: Both were respectable to one another. Argument- Tie: Both provided good arguments and rebuttals, especially given the time restrictions. Sources - Tie: Neither the Con or Pro used sources. Both of you did well and seem to be pretty evenly matched. I'll be sure to check out any rematches you two might have in the future. *Pro, honestly the only reason you lost was because of some spelling errors. I could see if the time restraint got in the way of utilizing the website spell check feature but remember, for the future, that it is an important factor when it comes time for voting.