tajshar2k
brad1999

Homework should be banned

tajshar2k

tajshar2k

Con

I will be arguing that homework is beneficial to students,

First Round is acceptance.

Good Luck,
brad1999

Pro

Hello I am glad to have joined this debate to discuss the issue of kids getting homework I don't think that homework should be outright banned, but thank it should be less I am looking forward to having a good debate.

good luck,
tajshar2k

Con

I thank my opponent to this debate

Why I think homework is beneficial

Helps the teacher understand where her/his class is standing

When a teacher assigns homework on the covered material, it can serve as a tool to help them understand their student's learning needs. For example, If there is a certain part of the homework that students struggle at, the teacher would then start focusing on that, so their class will be fluent on that part. Also, if a certain student is struggling, a teacher can identify what he needs help with, and can sit down and teach him in a way that is easier for him to understand.

Gives more practice

Doing homework will prepare students for the big unit tests, and exams. If a student doesn't understand a concept in the limited timeframe of a class period, without going over the material again, he likely will struggle. This is a big danger when exam periods come, as his performance will impact his school career as a whole. Also, practice makes perfect. If a student practices his material, he more likely will understand it and suceeed.

This source shows a correlation between the grades of kids who do homework, and kids who do not.
http://www.theatlantic.com...

Helps students develop better study habits, and more independent work.

Doing homework can help kids become more responsible, as they will learn to to be accountable for their actions, regarding the work. This can apply to handing in reports, projects, etc... This also will help them complete tasks independently, as they will no longer require others to help them, as many tools out there (wikipedia, youtube..) can acomplish the same thing.

brad1999

Pro

There should be less homework because kids have lives to they come home from school often with alot of homework what about if they play sports and won't get home till 9:00 they are tired and don't have time to do it.

secondly, Why Homework Is Bad
Are you a kid who hates homework!? Well I am one! Did you know that homework leads to bad grades and overwhelmed cranky kids? It can also lead to stressed out children that can throw fits. Also, homework gives less time for a kid to be a kid. There should be no homework for all children. No homework is even good for teachers because they don"t need to correct it because they already have enough to correct

In some schools children can get homework as early as kindergarten, or by the third grade. Homework has been annoying many children by the fourth grade. At elementary school, especially, this is a bad idea because many young students are known for having very short attention spans. They have already been forced to sit and learn for approximately 6 1/2 hours at school, with usually only 2 short recess breaks and lunch and they are also very known to like to talk and chat a lot.

By the time school is out, the kids just want to go home, relax, and be who they are ! It also affects families because Homework trouble = school trouble = family trouble. It is the rare for a child to enjoy homework F.Y.I. .For some students they can be stressed out when they get home and throw fits and for all students they have been exercising their brains at school all day long and at home they are supposed to relax their brain for the next day at school, and if you are not remembering good blame it on the teacher for putting the subject at the wrong time when the students are tired (after recess etc.) or the teacher is not explaining it good.

Some teachers do not answer a students question which would of helped the student to learn better and teachers always used to say to me "Learning is fun!" well I think now math and school now is a lot harder than in the 70"s and 80"s and put for an example a 10 year old in fifth grade with 6 1/2 hours of school and 45-50 minutes of homework and remember 2013 math is A LOT harder than 80"s and 70"s math so do you think you would be having fun? And I also want to state that homework causes cases of kids hating school (like me). So that concludes the end of my persuasive essay top three reasons homework is bad: overwhelming, interference and dislike.

One country named Finland has already fixed their school system there is no homework there is recess for 75 minutes, 9-17 students per class and no tests until you are 16 years old.
tajshar2k

Con

I shall start with with my rebutalls

Paragraph 1:
Pro starts of by giving his own opinion, by saying he hates homework, and homework leads to bad grades, and cranky kids. This is entirely subjective, because not all kids obtain bad grades and become cranky. So, in order for this to be valid, Pro must prove with sources that the number of kids with bad grades outweigh the number of kids with good grades (who do their homework). Pro says homework doesn't benefit teachers, because they already have too much to mark. This again is subjective, and Pro must prove that teachers are unable to mark homework due to overoads of other work.

Paragraph 2:
Pro believes that homework shouldn't be given, because some kids have short attention spans. If that is the case, then teachers must work with that student, so he can still learn in his unique way. Simply dismissing the problem will not help the student with his short attention span. When he goes to University or College, he will struggle alot, because the workloads are much more than what he might have experienced before.

Paragraph 3:
Pro is now suggesting we should blame teachers for putting the subject at the wrong time. Now I ask Pro, What is the right time then? How would a teacher know when to teach the subject and when not to. Not all kids might feel exhausted, and it is unfair to them. Many of Pro's arguments are subjective, and aren't backed up with sources.

Paragraph 4:
Again, this is subjective, and not all teachers would ignore the kids question. It doesn't matter whether you enjoy the subject or not, because the point of it is to fuillfill the curriculm's requirements. Me personally, I'm not a big fan of math, but I still do it because it can prove to be a usefull skill in the future. If you don't like the subject, you might as well learn it at school itself. Not doing the homework will just leave kids confused on how concepts work, and overall will contribute to lower marks.

Now addressing Finland, it isn't a fair comparision, because the curriculm in Finland is much different than what is here in the United States. Also, teachers there are much more educated, and are there to help students succeeed. So, if a school system like Finlands, is to happen we need to do a better job in educating teachers to help each and every student, rather than being the traditional lecturer.

I ask Pro to refute my arguments I made in the earlier round.

brad1999

Pro

Ok my opponent asked me to rebuttal his argument so I will.

1. My opponent said that it helps teachers check there students class standing.

The teachers can do that during the day/class they can review there subject then have the students to take a brief quiz and then grade the quiz after that she can review what the majority missed.

2. Gives more practice.

Yes doing more problems can be good practice but the students can practice during class In elementary school you got the whole day to practice. In middle school/high school they got about an hour per class to do the work of the day then review/practice for the rest of the time.

3. Helps students develop better study habits, and more independent work.

Actually no it doesn't students tend to cheat regardless.

Here I am going to give my last arguments
1.Homework has little educational worth, and therefore is a waste of students' time

Homework has little educational worth and adds nothing to the time spent in school. Some schools and some countries don't bother with homework at all, and their results do not seem to suffer from it. Studies show that homework adds nothing to standardised test scores for primary/ elementary pupils. As Alfie Kohn notes, no study has ever found a link between homework and better tests results in elementary school, and there is no reason to believe it is necessary in high school.1International comparisons of older students have found no positive relationship between the amount of homework set and average test scores - students in Japan and Denmark get little homework but score very well on tests.2If anything, countries with more homework get worse results!

2. Marking homework reduces the amount of time teachers have to prepare good lessons.

Irrespective of homework's educational value, marking it takes up much of teachers' time. Australian teachers have complained that 'homework marking can result in four extra hours of work a day and they are rarely rewarded for their effort'.1 This leaves teachers tired and with little time to prepare effective, inspiring lessons. If the lessons aren't to the standard they should be, the point of homework is lost as the students have little to practise in the first place. The heavy workload also puts young graduates off becoming teachers, and so reduces the talent pool from which schools can recruit.

3. Homework reduces the amount of time for students to do other activities.

Homework takes a lot of time up. In America, they encourage the '10 minute rule', 10 minutes homework for every grade, meaning that high-school students are all doing more than an hour's worth of homework each night.1 Being young is not just about doing school work every night. It should also about being physically active, exploring the environment through play, doing creative things like music and art, and playing a part in the community. It is also important for young people to build bonds with others, especially family and friends, but homework often squeezes the time available for all these things.

4. Homework puts students off learning

Homework puts students off learning. Studies have shown that many children find doing homework very stressful, boring and tiring. Often teachers underestimate how long a task will take, or set an unrealistic deadline. Sometimes because a teacher has not explained something new well in class, the homework task is impossible. So children end up paying with their free time for the failings of their teachers. They also suffer punishments if work is done badly or late. After years of bad homework experiences, it is no wonder that many children come to dislike education and switch off, or drop out too early. Teachers in Britain fear that poor children, because they lack the support to do their homework, will be turned off school.

BBC News, 2008

This is why homework should be banned or atleast less then what they have now.
Posted by Georgia_Peach 1 year ago
Georgia_Peach
Kids should have free time to play outside. A kid's life shouldn't be full of school work that should be done at school.
Posted by drag0vien 1 year ago
drag0vien
If anything, we need more homework. People are so slack, especially where I live (Australia) compared to other places. Homework improves kids and will improve the future! Anyways, gl.
Posted by ThatInsaneHenry 1 year ago
ThatInsaneHenry
interesting topic, I cant really say that homework should be outright banned but i would at least want less of it.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
Well, as much as I hate doing it, it helps in the end.
Posted by Varrack 1 year ago
Varrack
"Beneficial"

Yeah no.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
tajshar2kbrad1999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was the only one who provided a linked source. Pro did quote BBC News, but didn't provide a source as to where exactly this quote came from, and the voters cannot review the source by visiting it. Arguments to Con. Con successfully refuted all of Pro's arguments, and showed that most of them were very subjective or opinionated. Pro's rebuttals were very lacking, such as when refuting Con's statement that homework helps students develop better study habits. Pro simply said that the students will cheat. There were no sources provided for this argument. Pro also gave many arguments in the final round, I will not count those as Con didn't have a chance to refute them.