Parth_Vakil
fire_wings

Homework should be banned

Parth_Vakil

Pro

First round is acceptance. Second round is arguments. Third round is arguments and rebuttal. Fourth round is only rebuttal. No new arguments
fire_wings

Con

I accept. Note: A rebuttal is an argument.
Parth_Vakil

Pro

My opponent has stated that arguments are the same as rebuttals. What I meant was that in the second round there would be only arguments and evidence supporting them. In the third round, there would be more of these arguments and some refutations. In the last round, there would be only refutations and no new arguments. Now, I would like to move on to my case.

Firstly, I would like to define homework as work that was meant to be done at home, but is now often done during class. Now, I would like to state my framework for this debate. The purpose of homework is to help students" futures. Therefore, if the proposition proves that homework does not benefit the future, then they win this debate. I would now like to state my three contentions for this debate.

Contention One: Income Inequality
Income Inequality is when poor individuals do not have enough resources to do their homework while wealthier individuals are able to hire tutors or others to help them finish theirs. According to The Pew Research Center, roughly one-third (31.4%) of households whose incomes fall below $50,000 and with children ages 6 to 17 do not have a high-speed internet connection at home. This low-income group makes up about 40% of all families with school-age children in the United States which is a major disadvantage for poorer students. Also, according to the US Department Of Labor, nearly 46 percent of high school students in 2013 were part of the labor force, which has increased significantly. One student named Lincoln Rhodes quotes " "I need the spending money, especially with inflation, and money to save for college even if I have to forgo homework," says Lincoln, who plans to study engineering in college. As you can see, many of these students do not even have internet access which is often necessary to use during homework. In addition, some individuals have a hard time juggling homework and jobs which they need desperately to support their families. How can we morally obligate students to do homework rather than support their own families?

Contention Two: Counterproductive
Since many students do not understand the homework they are given, which causes them to feel pressured to cheat on assignments. According to the Brookings Institution, 2,900 six to seventeen-year-old children found that time spent each
week on homework had increased from 2 hours 38 minutes to 3 hours 58 minutes since 2005. Additionally, 75 and 98 percent of college students surveyed each year report having cheated in high school. This is an enormous jump in kids cheating today and it can be directly correlated to huge increase in homework given to students now. In addition, forty-three percent of parents admitted to doing their children"s homework at least once to ease the strain. Almost half the dads, 47%, owned up to doing the homework, while 39% of mothers did so. Homework is supposed to build character however it actually increases cheating and things like parents doing the work for the children. Furthermore, since many kids do not understand their
homework, they do the problems blindly and do not learn from it. This will impact children"s future negatively, since all of the concepts have not been bolstered.

C3: Ineffective
There are several studies on homework and academic achievement. However, most have proved Inconclusive. Here is an overview of all of the studies. According to Homework Myth, by 2011, a reviewer tracked down 17 experimental studies, most of which produced mixed results and some of which suggested that homework made no difference at all. In 2012 another reviewer found five more studies. One found that homework helped, two found that it didn't, and two found mixed results. Yet another review was published a few years later, But another researcher with fifteen studies actually compared getting homework with getting no homework, and their results actually didn't provide much reason to think it helped. From four studies, we can conclude that the results are inconclusive and that homework does not help or harm academic achievement making it completely ineffective and a waste of time.

Overall, these three contentions show that homework does not encourage good character or academic achievement. These are the major goals of homework. Since I have showed that homework has no effect, it is completely useless. There is no point in keeping something useless, which means that homework should be banned.
fire_wings

Con

Because the Rules say round 2 is for arguments, I wouldn't post my rebuttals this round.

Framework

Learn. Rebuttals are arguments. You have to post new arguments. You could have said no new contentions, but rebuttals are arguments because you are basically rebuting the case, making arguments. I will be posting arguments about practice makes perfect, smarter, more. I won't be making specific arguments, just paragraphs

Arguments

Look at this, "Studies have proven that homework does improve the stability of students in school. According to Cooper’s much-cited review of homework studies, there have been 20 studies since 1962 that compared the achievement of students who received homework and achievement of students who did not. Results are that 14 of the studies showed benefit in doing homework, while 6 did not. This further strengthens the statement “Time spent completing homework is time well spent."."

This means that if you spend your time well doing homework, then your grades will probably go up, making it a possibllty of going to a good university and a good job.

"Homework is an important and valuable component of learning. It teaches the students important life skills that they will need to apply even when they become working adults, especially time management, prioritizing work, as well as values, namely responsibility and self-discipline. "

This means that they will be smarter, and will have important life skills.

"By doing homework, they will start to develop time management. They will start to allocate their time for leisure pursuits and completing their homework. Through this, the students will be able to learn the value of self-discipline as they try to refrain themselves from playing until they have completed their assignments. They will also develop a sense of responsibility by knowing the need to finish homework in time and contributing to group work or projects. "

This shows that they can develop time management, and will grow more mature.

If we ban homework, we won't have these things.

"Hence, some students may not fully understand the topics that the teachers taught in school and they might have problems learning well and coping with the syllabus. Setting homework and assignments extends the student’s study beyond what they learn in school and allows for a wider and deeper understanding of the topic. With homework, school hours are also put to good use in which teachers can spend their time teaching well instead of giving the students class work to do, and students can avoid distractions from others when they attempt their work at home. They can also catch up on missed classes by doing homework."

More than making it more mature, it is just like practice makes perfect. Homework can make you understand the topics easily.

"Homework is useful to inform teachers of the students’ weaknesses in certain topics, giving them a chance to improve and acquire new skills. If there is no homework, teachers would have to base majority of the students’ standards on tests alone, which is not reliable at times."

Why is this not reliable? Because students can cheat.

"Homework provides students with sufficient practice for what they have learnt in school so that they can build a good foundation for that topic. With a good foundation, they can progress better in school and achieve better results for their tests and exams. It also lets students revise and recap what they are taught and more importantly, homework gives an early warning to students who do not understand certain key concepts so that they are aware of it in the future. "

Homework can make you more factual, and better at tests.

" However, if there is no work assigned, most students would not listen in class. "

I have supported many evidence that homework should not be banned. Summary is because homework makes you more responsible, and makes you more mature, also good at time management. It also helps with your grades. I will go onto my rebuttals next round. Thank you.

https://schools-education.knoji.com...

Parth_Vakil

Pro

As the rules say, I must rebut my opponents points and expand on my arguments. Therefore, I will refute my opponent this round as well as next round. I also concede to my opponents point that arguments are indeed rebuttals, so I thank him/her for clearing my misconception. Now, I would like to refute all of the points my opponent has brought up.

In response to academic achievement argument: My opponent brought a study which said that in 20 cases, only 6 showed negative achievement. However, what my opponents fail to realize is that there are four other studies that I have shown in the second round which refute this. If this study shows that there are 14 positive cases, then we also have to take into account of the many other negative ones such as the one where there were 17 studies and academics did not improve according to Homework Myth.

In response to Life skills and responsibility: My opponents have stated that many life skills improve which is needed in the real world but homework is just a completion grade. This means that homework just needs to be done; and it does not need to be done well. So, if students do not care about their homework and they do not try their hardest, then the life skills and responsibility that my opponent is talking about will not even administer. Also, with homework comes cheating and parents doing the homework instead. Like I said before, 98 percent of students admit to cheating in high-school. The so called "life skills" that my opponents are talking about will not work and they will actually worsen!

In response to sufficient practice: In Finland which is the best country in academics, there is no homework, yet they are the best. They do not need this extra practice that my opponent are talking about. It is completely unnecessary. It will just create stress and anxiety which I will sate in my fourth contention.

Now, I would like to move on to my case. I have also added a fourth contention because I feel that it is necessary.

C1: Income Inequality
Homework should be banned because it gives those who are wealthier a greater advantage over those who are less fortunate. According to the book Educational Policy for the 21st century written by David Berliner, a PHD educational psychologist, states that a major problem of modern education is due to the discrimination of lower income families. In his book he states that "Finland is often considered the highest achieving nation in the world. Their enviable position in world rankings of student achievement at age 15 has occurred with a minimum of testing and homework, a minimum of school hours per year, and a minimum of imposition on local schools by the central government. In addition he states the main reason for this, also supported by the Finnish National Board of Education, is because "Finland's social policies result in a rate of children in poverty (living in families whose income is less than 50% of median income in the nation) that is estimated at well under 5 percent. That rate in the USA is estimated at well over 20%. Meaning that family income has a direct impact on student learning, clearly shown in this statistic. This means that higher income families get an advantage on homework or education in general because they have access to more advanced learning and private tutoring which a kid in poverty could not get. By banning homework we are simply leveling the playing field for less fortunate kids and closing the achievement gap and having the poorer families one less thing to worry about that is not in their control.

C2: Counterproductive and Ineffective
Homework is counterproductive and ineffective because it opens up room for cheating and thus does not accurately gauge and practice a students intellectual ability which is why homework is for. According to a study performed by business professor Donald Mccabe of Rutgers University found that in his sample of over 24,000 students, over 95% of them admitted that they had cheated on homework whether it be copying homework or plagiarising. This goes to show that almost everybody and a majority of students have cheated at one point or another. By cheating no one is going to get any benefits, but instead they will only suffer on the tests proving that homework is counterproductive. Additionally the teachers have no jurisdiction or any method of regulating a student's homework to see if they cheated or not which is why homework should be banned. By trying to make sure everyone did their own work is a waste of time due to the fact that a majority of students cheated of some kind and so making the entire homework a waste and rendering ineffective. Furthermore by cheating on homework it degrades the moral character of students which would not happen if there was no homework. According to PHD psychologist Max Bazerman he stated in his studies on cheating and morals, that students cheat on a subconscious level while subconsciously weighing the consequences and the actions. From this study we can conclude that cheating is not something we can consciously control and the more we are exposed to opportunities to cheat the more we are inclined to cheat which is why we should ban homework because it creates more chance for such immoral actions which will ultimately be counterproductive to the student at it hinders their learning and causes learning detriments. Through banning homework we can limit the chances of cheating because it is counterproductive to a students learning and homework is ineffective to a students learning and a student's learning is the end goal in education, as listed in our framework, which is homework should be banned.

C3: Ineffective
As I have already stated, the results are inconclusive and ineffective for homework, showing that it is unneeded. Here are some more studies showing this. According to Palgrave Macmillan Homework Research, homework does not significantly impact achievement and can even be detrimental. One study from Penn State that analyzed data from the late 2000 found that, in countries with high homework demands, student performance on the international test of achievement was poorer than those with less rigorous after-school assignments. As you can see, homework does not help education and it actually worsens it, leaving no choice but to say that homework is useless and is an unnecessary evil.

Contention 4: Detriments Health
I would like to bring up a new argument which is extremely important. Homework has several negative health effects which could lower grades, common interest in activities, and your health which could impact your future negatively.
According to Healthline, researchers found that homework created headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation,
weight loss, and stomach problems. The researchers also found that spending too much time on homework meant that students were not meeting their developmental needs or cultivating other critical life skills. Students were more likely to forgo activities, stop seeing friends or family, and not participate in hobbies. What"s more, many students felt forced or obligated to choose homework over developing other talents or skills.Homework can affect students in their long-term life which will negatively impact the future. In addition, it hurts develop areas like the frontal lobe in your brain which is necessary for
adolescents to develop.
fire_wings

Con

I will rebut my opponents case this round. I thank my opponent for going this far.

Pro's framework

"Firstly, I would like to define homework as work that was meant to be done at home, but is now often done during class. Now, I would like to state my framework for this debate. The purpose of homework is to help students" futures. Therefore, if the proposition proves that homework does not benefit the future, then they win this debate. I would now like to state my three contentions for this debate."

I firstly disagree with Pro's framework. Pro says that the purpose of homework is to help stdent's "future." Not only that, but homework is for students to learn about the topic they were doing, and also remeber and practice what they are doing at school.

See original image

See original image
See original image

Basically, Practice Makes Perfect. If Pro shows that this is unimportant, he wins. If I show it is useful, I win. I disagree with Pro's framework. BoP is on Pro, which means that he has the burden of proof.

Rebuttals

Contention 1: Income Inequality

"Income Inequality is when poor individuals do not have enough resources to do their homework while wealthier individuals are able to hire tutors or others to help them finish theirs. According to The Pew Research Center, roughly one-third (31.4%) of households whose incomes fall below $50,000 and with children ages 6 to 17 do not have a high-speed internet connection at home. This low-income group makes up about 40% of all families with school-age children in the United States which is a major disadvantage for poorer students. Also, according to the US Department Of Labor, nearly 46 percent of high school students in 2013 were part of the labor force, which has increased significantly. One student named Lincoln Rhodes quotes " "I need the spending money, especially with inflation, and money to save for college even if I have to forgo homework," says Lincoln, who plans to study engineering in college. As you can see, many of these students do not even have internet access which is often necessary to use during homework. In addition, some individuals have a hard time juggling homework and jobs which they need desperately to support their families. How can we morally obligate students to do homework rather than support their own families?"

My opponent says hat about 40% of people have a disadvantagbe of doing homework, when the other wealthier students can get help with their homework. This argument is irrevelant and useless if we just listen to what the teacher is talking about. Especially the poor ones. Then you can do homework by yourself. What is the big problem of doing homework with your tutor. Thats exactly the opposite of what the teacher is talking about. The teacher wans you to do it alone, if you do it alone, and get it wrong, the teacher won't be mad. Se will just learn you are weaker in those spots of learning.

And how much time does homework take? Not that long. Sometimes you can just do homework at class if you tell your teacher that you don't have enough time to do it. Most schools give about 2 pages of homework every day. That "literally" takes about an hour depending on the homework.

Many students may say that this is a long time. But lets think about this.

School is around 7 hours for mostly every single kid. May be 7 hours and 30 minutes, you get the point though. Sleeping is 8 hours. Lets be nice and say that riding and going back to school is about 1-2 hours. This means you have 8-7 hours left to do your homework. Most homeworks "literally" take one hour. you have about 6-7 hours left. You can rest in that time. How can you not have time to do your homework. Think about it like that. You have tons of time to do your homework.

Contention 2: Counterproductive

"Since many students do not understand the homework they are given, which causes them to feel pressured to cheat on assignments. According to the Brookings Institution, 2,900 six to seventeen-year-old children found that time spent each
homework, they do the problems blindly and do not learn from it. This will impact children"s future negatively, since all of the concepts have not been bolstered."

My opponent says that bcause many homework the students don't understand, which makes them cheat. Just listen at school. There is no need to cheat, you can learn from mistakes.

s://learningmythsbusted.files.wordpress.com...; alt="https://learningmythsbusted.files.wordpress.com...; />
<a href=http://poppies.es...; />

<a href=http://b-i.forbesimg.com...; />

You don't need to care if you get something wrong. Look at the pictures. Mistakes are merely just you learning. A mistake is if you do not learn from your mistake. It is a mistake if you don't make mistakes but need to make mistakes. Mistakes are learning. Don't cheat. Learn from your mistakes, no need to hide them.

My opponent says that over an hour adds to the homework time. They still have 3 hours to rest. Thats a lot.

My opponents assertion of 98% of cheating is wrong. Why do you think that 2% won't cheat. Logically, that is wrong. No sources, this is a bare assertion.

Opponent says because of homework, they won't know skills. They will no skills. They will not learn the skills if they do not do homework.

Contention 3: Ineffective

"There are several studies on homework and academic achievement. However, most have proved Inconclusive. Here is an overview of all of the studies. According to Homework Myth, by 2011, a reviewer tracked down 17 experimental studies, most of which produced mixed results and some of which suggested that homework made no difference at all. In 2012 another reviewer found five more studies. One found that homework helped, two found that it didn't, and two found mixed results. Yet another review was published a few years later, But another researcher with fifteen studies actually compared getting homework with getting no homework, and their results actually didn't provide much reason to think it helped. From four studies, we can conclude that the results are inconclusive and that homework does not help or harm academic achievement making it completely ineffective and a waste of time."

I will rebut my opponent's case which is in the text.

My opponent shows studies which show that homework is not beneficial. First, no one knows if Pro is lying. Next study can be biased. It can just make believe that people should not do homework. They might have tried hard or whatever, because Pro gives no evidence of how the experiment went, this argument is still wrong.

Parth_Vakil

Pro

Parth_Vakil forfeited this round.
fire_wings

Con

Vote Con for the forfeit.

Defense

My opponent says that his 4 studies rebuts my arguments. As I rebutted my opponents case already, his study is wrong.

My opponent says that homework can just be done, not well. Anyways, the teachers will check their homework.

My opponent says that there responsibilty skills will become worse, but this is a bare assertion as Pro gave no evidence and no sources. How can 98% cheat? Biased, and not true data.

My opponent says that in Finland they have the best education: No homework. There teachers teach well. Other counteries may have less education, so they need homework.

Look at Singapore. Good education country. They have about 3 hours of homework.

http://www.straitstimes.com...

For these reasons Vote Con. Pro failed to fill the burden.
Posted by fire_wings 3 months ago
fire_wings
I totally won this...
Posted by fire_wings 8 months ago
fire_wings
can we cancel this debate?
Posted by fire_wings 8 months ago
fire_wings
Sorry for too many quotes.