isarica_2001
HAwoman

Homework should be banned

isarica_2001

Pro

I thank my opponent in advance for accepting this debate. I will take the pro side. Good luck in advance to my opponent! Debate structure:

1st round: Only accepting the challenge
2nd and 3rd round: Arguments
Last round: I will ask some questions to my opponent
HAwoman

Con

I accept the debate. I virtually shake hands with my opponent.

May the best lesbian win.
isarica_2001

Pro

Thank you, good luck, here are my arguments:

Homework should be banned. I believe this because international comparison of order students have found that homework has not any relation with tests, this means that students don't make a better job in tests with help of homework, so I believe that homework is a waste of time, it is not really achieving is objective which is making students to learn.

Also after school, students should rest or do other activities instated of doing homework. Students should not have their brain closed only in studying, they need also to have social life and make activities and this is restricted with homework. Homework also causes stress and make students to cancel social plans and/or reduce their sleep hours. Studies have shown that many students find homework as a boring and tired activity and also, have a want of not going more to the school.

With homework, there are many possibilities of students cheating, I believe teachers should make all the activities in class ,because if they are not watching what students are doing, students can call someone to give him/her the answers of the homework or search with the Internet and like this, he/she is not really learning.

Also, sometime times shy students that don't ask questions in class, don't understand the lesson and will find homework very difficult to realize.

Many children will like to join to a club or another extra-activity and this will stress them more, just because they have homework, this social activities are also very good, so children should not get stressed about joining to them.

In conclusion, I think students have the right of learning, but they also have the right of doing social activities and resting and both, have to be combined, with homework the right of resting and doing social plans is limited, so homework should be banned!!
HAwoman

Con

"Homework should be banned. I believe this because international comparison of order students have found that homework has not any relation with tests, this means that students don't make a better job in tests with help of homework, so I believe that homework is a waste of time, it is not really achieving is objective which is making students to learn."

Homework is not meant to be in direct relation with tests. Homework is used as a tool to advance and reinforce learning - teachers will set homework based on a subject which has been recently taught to the students to help them better understand the work. Tests will often ask the information learnt in lessons - it's very helpful if students have done extra work based on these topics to give fuller and better answers.

A study focused on homework, using a sample of 3000 kids, found that students who did 2 hours of work after school achieved better test results and performed better generally at school.

"Also after school, students should rest or do other activities instated of doing homework. Students should not have their brain closed only in studying, they need also to have social life and make activities and this is restricted with homework."

According to many statistics, the amount of homework set on average for kids is around 1 hour a night, occasionally 2. This is not too much as to restrict social life or hobbies. Do an hour of homework before you go out and get drunk, then you can have the rest of the weekend to cure your hangover.

"Studies have shown that many students find homework as a boring and tired activity"

That's obvious. Most students find school itself to be a "boring and tired" activity, doesn't mean we should ban school.

"With homework, there are many possibilities of students cheating,"

That's an issue with the student, not homework. You're doing yourself a disservice if you cheat at something as trivial as homework.

"search with the Internet"

Searching with the Internet isn't cheating. You're still looking at the questions and writing down the answers, you're just doing it the easy way. Besides, claiming homework is easy because you can cheat contradicts your argument - if it's easy to just Google the answers then why is it taking up so much of your social life?

"Also, sometime times shy students that don't ask questions in class, don't understand the lesson and will find homework very difficult to realize."

This is a nonsensical argument. If a student is shy then it's up to the teacher to realise that and take care of them. How is homework at fault here? If anything it helps that student because then they can Google the subject/read a textbook and learn for themselves.

"Many children will like to join to a club or another extra-activity and this will stress them more, just because they have homework, this social activities are also very good, so children should not get stressed about joining to them."

This is pretty much the same point as your second quotation. Same answer.

Homework should not be more than 2 or 3 hours a night. However, banning it completely is a ridiculous suggestion. Countless studies have shown that students who do extra work after school do better in their exams. That's a fact.

If anything, homework should be made to be more relevant to the subject/topic students are studying. I remember the dreaded "write a letter to Shakespeare!" homeworks which made me want to vomit up my cheap canteen lunch. Gives me nightmares just thinking about it.

But, no, it should not be abolished completely.
isarica_2001

Pro

Homework is not meant to be in direct relation with tests"

Not, it has not a direct relation with tests, but the study for which I was talking about, (International Comparison) was not specifically finding a relation between tests and students, the relation was between learning and students and that was proved in tests, so it discovered that students have not improved with homework, so that is a sample that shows that homework should be banned.

"It's very helpful if students have done extra work based on these topics to give fuller and better answers"

Students can have a day to review the topics seen in school before the exam with help of worksheets. House is not the correct place to work

"This is not too much as to restrict social life or hobbies"

Studies have shown that students have shown that homework restricts family time, not only for students, also for parents being worried for helping their kids to complete their homework. There is a story of a girl called Anna. She usually takes a break of just 30 minutes and finishes her homework at 10:30pm. Anna's mother affirms that her daughter's initiative of learning is reducing, principally because of homework. As you can see, Anna's social and familiar time is restricted with homework.

I am going to stablish my case as an example: I study in the British International School of Barranquilla and have once per week to stay doing homework until 1am, because even if there are not a lot of homework, they are long and I have to change my uniform, take my lunch (in my school there is not lunch) and then eat dinner. If it is just hard for me to accommodate my schedule for eating the two essential food and do homework, how do you think that I can balance it with social life? One day, I cancel a party just because of homework and this is an example of restricted social life

Also, a psicologist says that 90% the students who speak with her, are suffering from grading stress because of homework.

Andrew Self says:
"Nothing aggravates me more as a high school student than being loaded down with homework over the weekend. The one time a week we have away from school and we donR17;t even get to enjoy it because we are stressing out over homework thatR17;s due on Monday"

November 20th, 2006 at 1:02 am

"That's obvious. Most students find school itself to be a "boring and tired" activity, doesn't mean we should ban school"

Yes, I know, students find school bored, but one of its causes it homework. In the case of Anna, the girl named below, she says that a way to really learn is schools banning homework, because as I said, house is not for working, that is the reason why school exists, so I think that students find boring, stressful and tiring doing homework and stress affects their mind, so homework should be banned.

"Searching with the Internet isn't cheating"

For some homework, it is cheating, because sometimes the teacher orders students to the homework without using Google or any help. You are contradicting your argument that says that the idea of homework is learning because if students search their homework with Internet, they are not learning, they are making Internet do the homework for them.

"Besides, claiming homework is easy because you can cheat contradicts your argument - if it's easy to just Google the answers then why is it taking up so much of your social life? "

My idea is to ban homework, so this will not happen without it. I am not contradicting my argument because I so kids need to have time for social life, but not with the help of cheating. Some times Internet is not faster because wifi don't work. Other times it is not faster because kids don't find the answers for their homework.

" If anything it helps that student because then they can Google the subject/read a textbook and learn for themselves"

Students can read their textbook and Google articles many times and still don't understand. Many teachers say "if it is not clear for everyone, the exam will not take place" with homework, if students don't understand very well the topic, they can loose their self-esteem, because they will feel that they are not good at learning and they don't have a good education, as they find the homework as something hard to do. And here, how are they learning?

Researches have shown that students some times receive more amount of homework than what experts recommend and get health problems. The most recent study to examine the issue found that kids in early elementary school received about three times the amount of recommended homework, so students work 2 or 3 hours per night when the right amount of homework is given, but in the actual situation no. And also, 2 hours take the time of students. Homework is slavery, how is it possible that after a day of school, when students are tired, teachers force students to work at home?

It is very bad idea to force kids with homework because still in home they have to worry about school and it is suppose that after school students can rest, but working at home is still working so there is no way of forgetting about school. There are also cases of many students that because there is a lot of homework, the only topic of conversation that they have is school, even in vacations, this can bother other people and also is bad for students, because their brain is closed in studying and as I said, students are not having social life

Homework should be banned!

Thank you
HAwoman

Con

"Students can have a day to review the topics seen in school before the exam with help of worksheets. House is not the correct place to work"

One day to revise over past subjects before an exam is a stupid idea. You're essentially saying that students shouldn't revise and study in their own time, they should only work at school. That's not how life works, unfortunately - if you want a good grade then you need to be putting in the extra hours at home.

"There is a story of a girl called Anna. She usually takes a break of just 30 minutes and finishes her homework at 10:30pm. Anna's mother affirms that her daughter's initiative of learning is reducing, principally because of homework. As you can see, Anna's social and familiar time is restricted with homework."

This debate is about banning homework, not reducing the amount of it. Of course the amount of homework students get needs to be lessened - I'm not refuting that. But banning homework altogether is a ridiculous notion.

"and have once per week to stay doing homework until 1am"

See my above point.

"Also, a psicologist says that 90% the students who speak with her, are suffering from grading stress because of homework."

Source?

I'll continue with my closing statement as the rest of my opponent's argument is based on speculation, uncited sources and repetitions.

My opponent seems to be focusing their argument on the stress which homework brings to students, and how it restricts the social lives of students. I do not disagree with this. The sheer amount of homework some schools set their students is unbelievable and is a serious issue with the education system which needs to be addressed by the government.

However, this is not what the debate is about. The debate is about banning homework completely, not simply reducing the quantity.

Homework and studing out of school has been proven time and time again to benefit students greatly. Students who reguarly study outside of lessons achieve better results in tests and exams. (source: http://www.sedl.org...)

Banning homework is a nice dream made up by students who can't be arsed to do any extra work outside of school. Reduce the quanitity, but removing it completely is moronic.
isarica_2001

Pro

Well, in this last round I will try to attack your arguments and make you some questions.

When I say that there can be a day of practice in school is because school is the correct place to study, not home. If a student wants to revise a lessons or something they don't understand it is ok. Also for exams teachers can help students to do a review, not just study at home because school is the place where the teacher is present and students can understand better, ask questions if they have and are able to ask them and maybe understand topics that were not clear before. If the student wants to review for the exam at home, good. With banning homework, students can review topics that they don't understand at home, with the way they want to review them. If they want to practice, they can easily take their books and make exercises or look for some in the web. But just if they want and using their own method, there is not obligation to force them to realize homework

Even if making homework takes just a little amount of time, school schedule is already enough. Don't you think that it is unfair that after students have a tired journal that started early and takes approximately 7-8 hours, then make them work more at home? I guess no, 7-8 hours of learning is enough. What can you say? Why is it necessary homework if students worked for 8 hours already? Don't you think that is slavery?

I think homework, should not be reduced, it should be completely banned. Even if there is a few amount of homework, students are being forced to a cruel punishment. The objective of homework is for students to learn. What happens if the homework is very hard for students? I believe they will loose the interest of learning the subject, what can you say? Taking my point into account, the objective of homework is not being achieved

Students, parents, and even teachers agree that homework is a waste of time. There are other ways to improve learning capacities for students. Don't you think that school projects can help? They are a way of making kids learning in different ways and as more are made, students will have possibilities for credits to their grades.

Also, homework don't let students to complete it correctly. If there is not a teacher or classmate that help them with their doubts?, how are going students to make correctly their homework? Maybe their parents or Google don't give them the correct assistance.

If kids arrive at 7pm at home. Will they do their homework? Some of them will just skip it. Also, as I said before, if it is hard for them to understand their homework this can also be a motivation for kids to skip homework. As it is boring and tired, some kids just ignore it, only for this reason. What is the point of having homework if many kids don't do it?

Grading homework takes a lot of time for teachers. Don't you think that it is unfair for them to check exams, plan what to do the next day, and then check or grade homework? If yes, how?

These are all the sources that I use in the three rounds that we debate:

https://sites.google.com...

http://assignmentsdone.com...

https://www.otherpapers.com...

http://www.tcnjstudentactivities.com...

http://writeonforkids.blogspot.com.co...

http://www.alternet.org...

http://stophomework.com...

http://www.healthline.com...

http://www.ru.idebate.org...

http://ic.galegroup.com...

Voters, please if you wish, vote for the con side, I will thank everyone who vote for me. Thank you opponent for this interesting debate! Good luck :)
HAwoman

Con

"Don't you think that it is unfair that after students have a tired journal that started early and takes approximately 7-8 hours, then make them work more at home? I guess no, 7-8 hours of learning is enough."

Well, first of all, the average school hours is 6, including breaktime, lunch and assembly/form. That amounts to about 4 and a half hours of actual learning/lessons... Depending on the school, of course. Many private schools have extremely long days (7-9 hours) but do not set homework. That's the alternative, and I think we can both agree we'd rather get work done at home than have 3 extra hours of school.. Secondly, yes, I think people should continue to work at home. It reinforces your education and prepares you for tests.

"Don't you think that is slavery?"

No, and I think that you've discredited yourself by comparing doing HOMEWORK to one of the most degrading and horrible events in history.

"Even if there is a few amount of homework, students are being forced to a cruel punishment."

Homework is not a punishment, it's an advancement for learning. A punishment is given to someone who has done something wrong.

"What happens if the homework is very hard for students?"

Then you return to the teacher and explain that you do not understand the subject and need extra help. You're not going to get excluded for finding something hard.

"Don't you think that school projects can help?"

Yes. But that's homework. You're suggesting we ban homework then using homework as an alternative.

"Maybe their parents or Google don't give them the correct assistance."

Like I said, they go to the teacher.

"If kids arrive at 7pm at home."

Jesus Christ, where are these kids going to school? Auswitz?!

"What is the point of having homework if many kids don't do it?"

What's the point of telling the truth if many people don't do it? What's the point of peeing with the seat up when many people don't do it?

You can't discredit something just because a fraction of people don't do it. The majority of kids do homework, so this is a mute point.

"Don't you think that it is unfair for them to check exams, plan what to do the next day, and then check or grade homework?"

That's their job which they are being paid for. Whether or not they're being paid enough is a different matter.

In conclusion, I believe that the instigator is biased against homework due to the simple fact that they're a teenager who has to do it. They have ignored the fact that homework has been proven to improve test results, and although I agree that homework needs to be reduced, banning it completely is wishful thinking from someone who refuses to acknowledge the benefits.

Au revoir.