NarutoUzamaki
Sean_Norbury

Homework should be banned

Sean_Norbury

NarutoUzamaki

Pro

I've read some of the comments, and I must say that the people against it have no idea about what homework is actually doing to students.
They confuse homework with studying which are different things.
I have seen many teachers who slam the project paper in front of you and impatiently wait expect you to do it without teaching you anything. Then you do the homework in agony without learning anything. You just do it because you have to.
Again, if you say "But it helps students remember what they have seen in class" NO, just no... Students can study and learn the topics for the up-coming exam. Hw is just an excuse for teachers to lazy-out on teaching something. Humans are not built for this kind of things, 8 hours at school is already too much to ask.
I think teachers should actually teach rather than puking homework on students. By looking at my self, I can say that students learn more that way. So instead of giving projects every week and expecting it for the next week they should ban the amount of homework given.For the people who are against the removal of homework. You're probably all adults who have already finished school and are thinking " We did it too back in the time, so should students today" NO, that is wrong! You might as well say "I starved when I was younger so should my child". Also, just because some sources say that it helps students learn and what not, again...... NO. They are not true.
Take it from the people inside this scenario and situation and make your judgments based on that.
Sean_Norbury

Con

The kids here in America are spoiled. Students in other countries laugh at how easy Americans have it in school. I only took this debate to try and teach you how important your education is. Our whole education system needs to be restructured. Once it is finally restructured, there will still be homework. It is important to keep young minds active so that their brain is constantly making new connections, essentially building a stronger brain for once you are older. Homework doesn't need to end, it just needs to be changed. Our teaching methods are outdated. Trust me, you have it easy compared to students in some other countries. Soak in as much as you can now while your brain is still somewhat spongy. You'll have a much different viewpoint in a few years.
NarutoUzamaki

Pro

The kids here in America are spoiled. Students in other countries laugh at how easy Americans have it in school. I only took this debate to try and teach you how important your education is.'

My opponent does not understand my argument. I am not spoiled it is the truth. Children learn more when studying and when they study they can get higher grades on their test. If homework is important and it teaches you things why doesn't any one in American schools get strait A's.

It is important to keep young minds active so that their brain is constantly making new connections, essentially building a stronger brain for once you are older'

Reading books helps your mind and help develop more vocabulary homework is just something that you already learned in school. I rather read my book to improve my grade. Also other constructive things than homework can help your brain active
Sean_Norbury

Con

Everybody has different learning styles. I for one, learn more when I am at home in a quiet room than I do when I am at school, in my case college, where we also have homework. Actually, I just graduated and am waiting to move on to a University, but that is besides the point. Would you have a problem if your homework every night was to read? What students are given as homework is the problem, not homework itself. Your topic was homework should be banned, I don't think it should. "Homework" may have little to do with the reasons behind why students here in America do not get straight A's, but what is happening at home has lot to do with it. Come up with an intelligent idea for how homework should be handled, bring it up to your teacher in a respectful manner, and see what happens. Explain to him/her that you don't believe the homework they require you to do is beneficial to your education. The taxes your parents pay every year is what funds public school systems. You are never too young to stand up for what you believe in. Put some real thought into it before you present your idea.
NarutoUzamaki

Pro

It needs to be because it is too much
Sean_Norbury

Con

If you truly feel that the homework you are being given is not beneficial to your education, then you should try to do something about it. Bring it up to your parents first, get their opinion. You will have to have some valid points as to why it isn't beneficial. Also, try to come up with something that would be more beneficial, because homework isn't going anywhere buddy, not for any of us.
Vote Placed by PiercedPanda 2 years ago
PiercedPanda
NarutoUzamakiSean_NorburyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gets points for conduct, because of con's hasty generilizations, like assuming all american children are spoiled. However, overall, con had better arguments, and effectively explained the importance on homework. Pro was unable to effectively rebuttal them. Also, pro had various grammar mistakes.
Vote Placed by Gohan12345 2 years ago
Gohan12345
NarutoUzamakiSean_NorburyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not give any proof or legible answer to homework tip if you want to do something like this list out benefits of homework banned I know your new so I am just telling you and no mono sentences.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
NarutoUzamakiSean_NorburyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side presented good arguments. However pro never proved his resolution so arguments to con.
Vote Placed by black_squirrel 2 years ago
black_squirrel
NarutoUzamakiSean_NorburyTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON makes the point out that PRO is too quick with the conclusion that Homework should be banned. It all depends on what the homework is, and in some cases, it IS helpful. Arguments go to CON.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
NarutoUzamakiSean_NorburyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con came up with more convincing arguments by saying "Homework" does not need to get banned but education system should be changed and the amount of work for "homework" needs to be changed and also stating how "Homework" would be beneficial if handled properly.
Vote Placed by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
NarutoUzamakiSean_NorburyTied
Reasons for voting decision: First round: Pro, I'd recommend not spending so much space rebutting arguments that haven't occurred yet. Instead, I think a more effective format would be a numbered list of all of the harms of homework and the benefits of banning it. Con, you assume that the debate is about America and make sweeping generalizations about American students ("spoiled"). You are speak condescendingly to your opponent. Your arguments do not say why homework is beneficial, but only that it will exist, which to me seems irrelevant. Round 2 was a bit more relevant for both. Pro, I'd say reading a book can be a type of homework. Con, you spend all of your space challenging your opponent to give arguments rather then giving them yourself. Final round: Pro, don't give 1 sentence. Con, ANSWER THAT SENTENCE! Con ultimately claims that the debate doesn't belong here, which is a smart argument but too late. If you're going to run a kritik, make it through all the rounds. Pro's one point about burden on kids wins.