Andrew820
subhapriya

Homework should be given less to the children

Andrew820

Pro

It's obvious why homework should be given less to children.
First, too much homework can cause stress in a student and lead to health issues in the body and mind. Homework related anxiety and stress can affect school work negatively. Stress causes lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more factors.
Second, kids are doing more than the recommended amount each night, with no academic benefits. The recommended amount is 10 minutes times the grade level, so first grade gets 10 minutes, second grade gets 20 minutes, third grade gets 30 minutes, and so on, but kids are doing much more than that. Twenty three percent of 13-year-olds do more than 2 hours a night. The more the students do, the less they get out of doing it. There is no academic benefit for high school students after 2 hours and there are no academic benefits for middle school students after 1 and a half hours.
Thank you
subhapriya

Con

Giving homework is beneficial for students in many ways. It teaches the student about time management and makes them sincere.

It helps the student to recapitulate the lessons done at school so that they don't lag behind. It also teaches them the art of planning and organizing their studies one after another to get good grades. Homework also helps the teacher to asses the ability of the student and she can help the student to improve his or her weaknesses. But most importantly it makes the students study and helps them to realize that even if they don not like to do the homework sometimes they have to do things in life they do not want to. So the pressure which is created is actually good because it helps them to face reality and also their life

Thank you
Andrew820

Pro

Thank you for accepting my challenge.
I agree some of your points but I think that exams are better than homework. A test once a week is enough to see that students have or have not revised yet. I also think that a little bit of pressure is OK, but as I see, pressure because of homework is the most, that means that homework causes so much pressure to students even though they are well planned.
Another point is, I think if the teachers find out that some students are lagged behind, detention is better than give more and more homework.
subhapriya

Con

Here are some of my points to argue against my worthy opponent

Taking test can be a solution to check whether students have revised a lesson or not.But home work ensure that they have done their lessons properly . So home work prepares them better for examinations than taking test .

Secondly if a student is given detention for not doing lessons properly then he or she will get afraid of studies and thus spoil the fun of studying.

So giving home work is better.
I return the debate to my opponent.
Andrew820

Pro

THE DEBATE IS 'HOMEWORK SHOULD BE GIVEN LESS TO CHILDREN' BUT NOT 'HOMEWORK SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN TO CHILDREN'

First, teachers can have a revision after the lessons and see if the students understand the lesson. Classwork is also a better choice than homework.
Second, teachers can teach the students one-to-one during the detention. The students will not be bored and can improve their results instead of scared of lessons.

THE END
subhapriya

Con

I thank my opponent for reminding me of the topic.
But I will like to point out that the definition of LESS varies from one person to another. Giving 10 sums as home work can be pressure to a kid while it might not be the same for some one else . So arguing on the topic "home work should be given less " is itself not convincing .

Teachers can revise the lessons to test the students or give them detention to teach them individually but it is often not feasible because of the shortage of time to complete the syllabus. Giving home work is easier.

So giving home work is justified.