danger93
16kadams

Homework should not be banned!

16kadams

danger93

Pro

THIS DEBATE IS ONLY FOR 16KADAMS!

Note to 16KADAMS: You may accept or decline this debate.

This debate has 5 rounds. You may only post upto 5,000 characters and you have 2 days to post your arguements. After the debate, the voting period will be for 2 weeks and vote comments are allowed.

MOTION: Homework should not be banned! (for me)
MOTION: Homework should be banned! (for 16KADAMS)

Rules of this debate:

1) No swearing or cussing.
2) No sources allowed (I don't understand why sources are needed?)
3) No cheating on using sources and putting them here. I will make sure you won't do that. I know when people cheat.

Layout of this Debate:

First Round:
Pro (me) will make this debate which is already made.
Con (16kadams) will ONLY accept this debate. No arguements.

Second Round:
This is where actual debate starts.
Pro will post new arguements.
Con will rebut NOT REFUTE Pro's arguements.

Third Round:
Pro will rebut Con's arguements and add new arguements.
Con will rebut AND refute Pro's arguements.

Fourth Round:
Pro will rebut and refute Con's arguements.
Con will NOT ADD NEW ARGUEMENTS but he will summarize his arguements. Rebutting the Pro is fine.

Fifth (last) Round:
Pro will summarize his arguements NOT ADDING NEW ARGUEMENTS and rebut Con's arguements.
Con will rebut FIFTH ROUND of Pro's arguements. (Grammer :p)

If any forfeiting will happen for any of these reasons below, that round will be skipped and not count into the debate, voters can't vote for people who didn't forfeit:

1) You are busy or can't get on.
2) A gang comes into your house and kidnaps you.
3) A dog ate you.
4) Your computer exploded
5) Someone stole your computer
6) Your computer died.
7) A person shoots you.
8) Someone shoots your computer.
9) You had to go to school for 2 whole days without computer.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate (or if decline I don't thank).

I am looking forward towards this.
16kadams

Con

ok my opponent said in the comments sources are now allowed. Homework should banned. go.
danger93

Pro

danger93 forfeited this round.
16kadams

Con

well he said if one FF's it doesn't count. But in all realty I should get conduct, according to his rules I technically can't have arguments.

His reasons for FF'ing are good. I assume he was mugged and someone shot his computer. Hence his rules.
Or a savage dog ate him.
danger93

Pro

Sorry for I was out of town. As I have said that round will not count. Anyways lets continue.

As the third round rules state:

Pro will rebut Con's arguements and add new arguements, this can not be done. Last round I had accidently forfeited so I must state a new arguements. Next round Con can add new arguements.

My new arguements are:

Reason why homework shouldn't banned is that it helps you learn some stuff. Don't you want to become a doctor or a pilot? If you don't have homework, and play 24/7 or so called play all day, you might become a hobo or even homeless when you grow up.

Homework also helps you improve your life. How?? Well here is some reasons:

1) Teaches about nature (science)
2) Learn from other peoples mistakes instead of doing it over again
3) Calculate easily when shopping (reccommended for girls :p)
4) Not become a hobo
5) Get married happily (some people dont want to get married :p)

Also homework doesn't take like 5 hours. Normal school periods are about 5 and homeworks are 5 different types. They should be done within 2 1/2 hours.

Without homework you wouldn't become smart, or if you are already smart you will become dumber, you will not know how to heal yourself (science), you will not know why you died, you will not know what the price with the tax is (mathematics), you will not know why moon fell onto earth (that might happen someday), you will not know when the heck is your birthday which is really embarassing.

I thank my opponent for following the directions. As I have said earlier, if one of the debaters forfeit, the round is cancelled if it is a good reason.

I apologize for forfeiting a round since I could not be on a computer. Judges, please do not count that round. As your reasons should not be FFing. Thank you so much and...

VOTE PRO!!!!
16kadams

Con

you said yes sources in the comments so I will use some. I will use my arguments, as I cannot rebut.

C1: Time consuming

According to a 2004 national survey of 2,900 American children conducted by the University of Michigan, the amount of time spent on homework is up 51% since 1981. [1]

So time for homework is rising every every year.

An admittedly less scientific poll of parents conducted this year for AOL and the Associated Press found that elementary school students were averaging 78 min. a night. [1]

So you will say that's only a little more then an hour. But in all realities it is a lot of time they could be reading making friends. My second source:

more homework means kids have less time for other activities. There's less opportunity for the kind of learning that doesn't involve traditional skills. There's less chance to read for pleasure, make friends, play games, get some exercise, get some rest, or just be a child. [2]

SO they really have less time to be healthy.

C2: No proven benefits

And high school, some studies do find a relationship between homework and test scores, but it tends to be small. More important, there's no reason to think that higher achievement is caused by the homework. [2]

This is logical, how does random work help?

There is no evidence to demonstrate that homework benefits students below high school age. Even if you regard standardized test results as a useful measure (which I don't), more homework isn't correlated with higher scores for children in elementary school. [2]

Yet teachers themselves don't uniformly agree on something as basic as the purpose of homework (reviewing vs. learning new concepts), much less design or amount or even whether it should be graded. And the result can be inconsistency in assignments and confusion for students. [3]

c/p from source. The other footnotes are mostly word for word.

This shows there is no set purpose nor benefits as it may confuse them.

"Kids who do 60 to 90 minutes of homework in middle school and over two hours in high school actually do worse than average in standardized tests," his essay read. [4]

so this = negative effects.

C3: isn't it like slavery?

Part of his essay reads: "Homework is assigned to students like me without our permission. Thus, homework is slavery. Slavery was abolished with the passing of the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. So every school in America has been illegally run for the past 143 years." [4]

I see no reason to keep going. Vote con

http://www.time.com... [1]
http://www.scholastic.com... [2]
http://stophomework.com... [3]
http://www.cbsnews.com... [4]
danger93

Pro

danger93 forfeited this round.
danger93

Pro

alright alright i have fail. I declare that I have forfeited! I have been pwned!
16kadams

Con

I win! I have won because he gave up. Vote for me as he gave up! :)
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
lol
Posted by danger93 2 years ago
danger93
16kadams mostly commented this 'lol'. xD
Posted by danger93 2 years ago
danger93
xD.
Posted by vmpire321 2 years ago
vmpire321
lol
Posted by danger93 2 years ago
danger93
i actually know. but rules changed-sources allowed. wanna know how i know how people cheat. copy and paste their sentence on google and if an exact same sentence shows up that is called cheating. Pahoehoe!
Posted by Chrysippus 2 years ago
Chrysippus
It's rough to lose your own debate in the first sentence.

"I know when people cheat."
Really? You should be a teacher. The education world needs people like you.
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
lol
Posted by ConservativePolitico 2 years ago
ConservativePolitico
Im voting Con just for that comment lol
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
lol
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 2 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"THIS DEBATE IS ONLY FOR 16KADAMS!"
Pro auto-loses as the rules of the debate exclude danger93 from participating.
Vote Placed by MasterKage 2 years ago
MasterKage
danger9316kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for forfeits, and Pro conceded so Con gets arguments.