Homework should not be mandatory

I have made it impossible to accept this debate; therefore, if you want to accept the debate, please post in comments saying that you want to debate. I will shortly reply after I am done my current debates.

Debate rules:

1. No forfeiting
2. No random words (all content must be arguments or rebuttals).
3. No offensive language
4. Round 1 is acceptance/ Round 2 is arguments (no rebuttals)/ Round 3 is arguments AND rebuttals/ Round 4 is conclusion

Cooldudebro I choose you. Since you have a good history and you commented, please accept the debate.

I accept. I think that if someone makes an A, they shouldn't have to do homework because they have shown they know it.

1. Review
Students can review their work and find any troublespots they may have with the topic. Many students do not understand his or her teacher said during class hours; therefore, in order to figure out whether or not a student understands a lecture, we should give him or her homework. In addition, according to neuropsychologist Dr. Sam Goldstein and Dr. Sydney Zentall in the Department of Educational Studies in Purdue College of Education, homework can help students achieve more and receive better marks. However, doing homework not only improves a student's marks, but also improves mastery of basic skills, such as reading, writing, spelling and mathematics. It has been believed that practice makes perfect, or in other words, close to perfect. Therefore, since homework is a kind of practice, homework makes you be close to perfect.

2. Responsibility

The ability to bring an assignment home, finish it in time, and bring it back for marking strengthens the students' responsibility. Nowadays, responsibility is everything. All kinds of careers require responsibility. Therefore, strengthening a child's responsibility will help him or her succeed in life. Furthermore, since many jobs are done within a time limit, it also strengthens a child's ability to complete these jobs in an amount of time. Management skills are also developed. Students must manage all of their homework and keep it in the right spot; otherwise, they will not receive a mark for it.

The sentence that Pro stated is just a claim of policy, but it is not supported by any facts or examples. However, assuming that it is a proper claim of policy, I will refute it as normal. Students are not learning new materials if they do not do homework. Since they got an A from the marks they got last term, that A is not for the current term. In other words, the A is not for the current homework a student has, it is for the past homeworks. Therefore, students should do homework regardless of their marks.

I await Pro's arguments.

Case 1: Homework shows no proven benefits

Many studies have shown homework has no benefits. In fact, high amounts of homework made many highschoolers drop out! (1) A quote from Harris Cooper, one of the best reasearchers on the subject.

"The conclusions of past reviewers of homework research show extraordinary variability... Even in regard to specific areas of application such as within different subject areas, grades or student ability levels, the reviews often directly contradict one another."

Variabilltiy shows that homework has no benefits, just as it doesn't show it build responsibility or character.

Case 2: Waste Of Time

Homework has shown nonproven benefits, so isn't it just wasting the child's time? Think, the child isn't gaining any knowledge, responsibility or character, what is the use of spending hours and hours on homework.

Rebuttal 1:

Teachers can see if their students are struggling with something based on test scores. I have proved no.benefits with homework. You could say I am gaining writing skills when I carve my name in wood. You could say I am gaining reading skills by reading a menu at a restaurant. Homework has shown no benefits. I can't see how it can help students, as homeworks seems over-whelming. It can also make a student confused or frusterated at a problem he can't solve. It will bring their GPA down even more.

Rebuttal 2:

You can say getting a dog builds respinsibility, yet, if the child chooses not to feed, give it water or give it love, no responsibility will be gained. Why have un-necisary responsibility. I will just cause more stress. All of the skills you say students "gain" from homework are actually gained in regular life.

Rebuttal 3:

I meant, if a student gets an A on the test, he shouldn't need to do homework. You gain no skills with homework. I have proved this.
This argument kinda doesn't make sense.

Good luck!

I will rebut some of my opponent's arguments

1.Homework has shown no proven benefits
This statement is wrong as many studies have shown that doing homework has benefits (; AND I cannot believe that Pro has said that homework has shown no proven benefits.

2. Waste of time
Homework is not a waste of time since it gives students practice. Pro has also failed to rebut the fact that more practice=more perfect.

3.Homework is not carving names in wood nor it is reading menus at a restaurant. Homework is writing long essays and reading long paragraphs. Pro is comparing homework to something we do everyday. In addition, there are people called teachers who will explain a hard problem to students who are frustrated.

3. Responsibility
Yes, I accept the fact that no responsibility can be earned from completing homework with no care. However, if a students gives care to his or her homework, the students will learn responsibility. In addition, you can gain responsibility from regular life and homework. Pro has also failed to spell "unnecesary" correctly.

4. Getting an A on the last term does not mean that a student will get an A on this term. Furthermore, students can practice and get even better by doing homework. For example, if a student gets 90% on a test, he or she can do homework to help get the percentage to 100%.

Now, for my arguments.

Homework prepares students for upcoming tests. Since tests are worth more than homework, students can do homework in order to find their trouble spots and work on them. In addition, homework ensures that students are ready for class activities.

2.Time management
Homework teachs students to manage their time. Since teachers give due dates, it is important for students to hand it in on time. In addition, many careers require excellent time management skills to succeed. Therefore, teaching time management to kids at an early age helps them develop the skill once they are older. Furthermore, since many kids play games, it teaches them to limit their gaming time and focus more on homework.

3. Quality
Sometimes, it is the quality of the homework that causes students stress. Many teachers give homework that is off-topic. Therefore, homework should not be banned, but teachers who are giving the wrong homework should be banned. Fortunately, the quality of homeworks given nowadays is better than the quality of homework in the past.

First off, one of your links I can't see.

One link. I had two.

Rebuttal 1:

Practice doesn't make perfect if you don't know it to begin with. For instance. Jimmy has a problem with finding the area of a circle at school. Jimmy failed his test. He is then given homework on the subject, and doesn't understand a thing on the worksheet. This causes Jimmy hours of frustration, so he decides to look up the formula online, and use a calculator to cheat. He makes an A on his homework. The teacher then think Jimmy knows the material, and doesn't tutor Jimmy on the subject. this causes Jimmy to not understand something, and make a lower grade on his state issued standardized test. if practice makes perfect, then why not have more class time devoted to the subject? Why not tutor whoever has problems with the subject?

Rebuttal 2:

Why do students have to write and read long paragraphs?

Rebuttal 3:

And how many kids do you really think put so much " care and time" in their homework. When I went to public, I had homework, and rushed. I had bad handwriting, didn't read it very well, and really was kinda sloppy. I was a straight A student. No B's, made A's on all my standardized test, yet, I had o do more and more homework! Homework never helped me. Now that I'm home schooled, I have no homework (yay) well, I guess you could call it after school work. I also just recently took an IQ test, and made a 116. That is above the average adult. Homework is really that good? I had none and I am only 12 about to turn 13, having a higher IQ than most adults.

Rebuttal 4:

Homework doesn't help. I have proved that.

Rebuttal 5:

How many teachers do you know that stall a test just because a kid didn't do well on his homework. Two things will happen. he will cheat on his homework, or get frustrated for hours and fail miserably. They should get the teacher to tutor the kids early, before class.

Rebuttal 6:

Now this is just an overall sloppy argument. I could argue just as well that students get all their time management skills afterwards. Many kids postpone their homework till the last minute. Really? That is such a good way to promote time management skills.

Homework has no proven benefits part 2:

As stated by my link. (1)

"Second, even at the high school level, the research supporting homework hasn't been particularly persuasive. There does seem to be a correlation between homework and standardized test scores, but (a) it isn't strong, meaning that homework doesn't explain much of the variance in scores, (b) one prominent researcher, Timothy Keith, who did find a solid correlation, returned to the topic a decade later to enter more variables into the equation simultaneously, only to discover that the improved study showed that homework had no effect after all[2], and (c) at best we're only talking about a correlation -- things that go together -- without having proved that doing more homework causes test scores to go up."

In another link BY SCHOOLASTIC. It stated and I quote "My kids had invested so much time with little to show for it." I suggest you read that article too.

More and more evidence against homework. I have proven homework has no benefits, and can actually be bad for the student. Thank you.

henry2833 forfeited this round.

7 point drop! I win!
Posted by saxman 2 years ago
I think that tests should be more heavily weighed. One thing I think should be done is that in order to re-take a test, you have to have all of your homework turned in. So homework isn't worth anything at all, unless you want to redo a test. I think this is a happy compromise.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
Go cooldudebro! I got your back on this!
Posted by Loveshismom 2 years ago
I'd like to debate this.
Posted by anish 2 years ago
I am a first grade nerd and will love to do this debate!
Posted by Cooldudebro 2 years ago
I would love to debate this. I think if a person has straights A's in a class, he shouldn't be forced to do homework
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Automatic loss of conduct due to forfeit. There was a lot of unnecessary punctuation and spelling errors on the side of pro, so S/G to con. Con used many arguments without sources or data to back it up. On balance, arguments would've been tied. but arguments to pro because he used data and a quote to back up his supporting arguments. Con used more sources, but many of them were broken. Some of pro's sources were not reliable. Thus, the sources is tied. The final tally is 4-1 in favor of pro.