TheLastMan
rajagopal23295

Homework should not be removed as an activity in school

TheLastMan

TheLastMan

Pro

I'll argue for the resolution. I shall argue that homework should not be removed as an activity in school. Con must argue against it. 1) No semantics 2)No trolling Definitions:
Ordinary dictionary definitions are used for this debate, with context determining the appropriate choice from multiple definitions.
Debate structure:
Round 1- Acceptance
Round 2-Opening Arguments and rebuttal
Round 3- Rebuttal
rajagopal23295

Con

I accept, and good luck to you.
TheLastMan

Pro

Thanks for accepting the challenge. Homework should not be removed. However, there should be a limit to give homework.
A review by researchers at Duke University of more than 60 research studies on homework between 1987 and 2003 showed that, within limits, there is a positive interaction between the amount of homework which is done and student achievement. The research synthesis also indicated that too much homework could be counterproductive. The research supports the '10-minute rule',the widely accepted practice of assigning 10 minutes of homework per day per grade-level. For example, under this system, 1st graders would receive 10 minutes of homework per night, while 5th graders would get 50 minutes' worth, 9th graders 90 minutes of homework, etc.[1] Benifits of Homework and why homework should not be removed: 1.Homework encourages students to work more independently, as they will have to at college and in their jobs. Everyone needs to discipline responsibility and skills in personal establishment,working to deadlines, being able to research, etc. If students are always ""spoon-fed"" topics at school, they will never develop study skills and self-discipline for the future. A gradual increase in homework responsibilities over the years allows these skills to develop . For instance, to read a novel or complete a research project, there is simply no time at school to do it properly. Students have to perform independently and be willing to read or write, acknowledging that if they struggle, they will have to work through the problem or the difficult words themselves. Diane Ravitch points out that a novel like Jane Eyre cannot be completed if it is not read at home -- students have to work through it themselves . 2.Having homework also permits students to genuinely fix in their heads work they have done in school. Doing tasks linked to recent lessons helps students strengthen their understanding and become more confident in using new knowledge and skills. For younger children this could be practising reading or multiplication tables. For older ones it might be writing up an experiment, revising for a test and reading in preparation for the next topic. Professor Cooper of Duke University, has found that there is evidence that in elementary school students do better on tests when they do short homework assignments related to the test . Students gain confidence from such practise, and that shows when they sit the tests. Education is a partnership between the child, the school and the home . Homework is one of the main ways in which the student""s family can be involved with their learning. Many parents value the chance to see what their child is studying and to support them in it. It has been described as the ""window into the school"" for parents, the area in which schools, parents and students interact daily . And schools need parents"" support in encouraging students to read at home, to help with the practising of tables, and to give them opportunities to research new topics. 4.Homework is a vital and valuable part of education. There are only a few hours in each school day -- not enough time to cover properly all the subjects children need to study. Setting homework extends study beyond school hours, allowing a wider and deeper education. It also makes the best implement of teachers, who can spend lesson time teaching rather than just supervising individual work that could be done at home. Education is about pushing boundaries, and the learning should not stop at the entrance to the classroom -- students should take skills learnt in the classroom and apply them at home. Homework allows this to happen, encouraging students to go above and beyond what they do in school. Reading is the best example, students learn how to read at school, but in order to get better, they need to practise and that is best done at home, with the support of parents and at the right pace for the student.
Source: 1. http://dukenews.duke.edu...
rajagopal23295

Con

My opponent talks about limiting homework, and the 10 minute rule. He cites sources which show that such a schedule for the kids will be productive. At this point in time, I would like to ask him, is this kind of schedule followed anywhere? We all know that kids hate homework. And we know the reason too - it's too much and too boring. Most of the homework consists of repeating what the student has already studied in class. The intention might be to help them have an extra round of practice. But the students don't see it that way. For them, it's just an additional burden. Speaking with reference to my school life, homework is nothing but copying notes from the book, and most of us copy it blindly. Projects and novels, as referred to by my opponent could be an interesting way to trigger students' creativity. I agree. BUT do students actually sit and research the topics properly? All that I've seen students do is copy and paste from different websites. That is what a project is to students. Novels are fun only when they're read for pleasure. If Harry Potter would have been part of my school's English syllabus, I would have hated it for sure. I read Shakespeare's work, 'Julius Caesar" when I was 13 and enjoyed every bit of it. When the same came up as a part of my English reading in Class 10th (In India, that happens at the age of 15), I hated it. Why? Because I was forced to look at it as material for a test. It was homework, and it sucked. The intention with which homework is created is never fulfilled. No matter how interesting homework is, students will not like it anyway. My class was once asked to prepare a 4-minute talk on "Social networks - boon or bane?". Out of a class of 40, 35 spoke the exact same words. Copied from the second Google search result, I later found out. If it is homework, students will hate it. Also students need time for their other talents/interests. Not everyone is interested in why fluorine is the most electronegative element or why Hitler did what he did. I, for example, was never interested in History, but had to spend hours every day to do my homework, and never found time for my other activities, which include music. I'm a trained Indian classical vocalist, and a self accomplished pianist. And sadly I never had enough time. Though I can play Beethoven's pieces now, but I feel that if I'd had more time during my school life, I would have probably been a lot better. I am citing my own examples, because I can assure you that whatever I am saying is true, and not exaggerated. "Parents see homework as a window to what the student is studying at school", says my opponent. I would like to add, the students see their parents as strict monstrous beasts, monitoring their activities and bossing them around all day, taking their freedom away. Children hate being told by the parents to show them the homework that he/she has done. Parents who are constantly worried about their child's homework often tend to come across as insensitive to the child, though the parents do so with a good intention. The children are too young to understand the fact that parents are doing it for their own good, but ultimately their understanding affects their mentality towards the parents.

I await the next round.
TheLastMan

Pro

First however I would like to clear up the notion of students not doing homework. Whether most students do or don't do homework is irrelevant to the debate. We are debating whether students should be given homework or not/(SHOULD be removed or not). Claiming that most students don't do homework anyway is an invalid argument for whether or not it should be given or not.
Now, To answer Con's question: He asked "is this kind of schedule followed anywhere?"- No. However, it should be. It's an option. There are two options to solve the problem. a)Reducing the amount of homework to a well planned schedule homework b)Removing the homework as an activity in school. As I said in my previous round that how "10 minute" rule benifits students and this limited amount of homework will not become a burden to students. As we can see that option (a) is better than option (b). Because it will not only reduce a lot of burden from students, but also benifit all the students.
--Homework has not prevented students doing other activities; it takes very little time to complete. Recent American surveys found that most students in the USA spent no more than an hour a night on homework. That suggests there does not seem to be a terrible problem with the amount being set. Furthermore, British studies have shown that 'more children are engaging in sport or cultural activities' than ever before.
If homework puts students off learning, then it has been badly planned by the teacher. As Linda Darling-Hammond, a professor of Education notes, 'many teachers lack the skills to design homework assignments that help kids learn and don't turn them off to learning' . The best homework tasks engage and stretch students, encouraging them to think for themselves and follow through ideas which interest them. Over time, well planned homework can help students develop good habits, such as reading for pleasure or creative writing. The research however suggests that homework is not in fact putting students off learning. Rather studies in Britain indicate that 'most children are happy (and) most are achieving a higher level than before'.
--->Now here are some statistics on the benefits of homework:
1) Harris Cooper (1994) presents immediate and long-term effects of homework:
Immediate: Students retain information and understand material better. Critical thinking and concept formation are increased. Information processing is improved, and the curriculum in enriched.
Long-term academic: Learning is encouraged during leisure time. Attitude toward school is improved. Study habits and skills are better.
Long-term non-academic: Students have greater self-direction and self-discipline. Time management is easier for students. Students are more inquisitive and participate in more independent problem solving.
2) What Con said against parents behaviour to children about homework is not valid. There is no evidence to support this claim. Parents are not "strict monstrous beasts, monitoring their activities and bossing them around all day". It's just a wrong assumption. Even if it's true, it's very rare. Nancy Paulu (2000) indicates that parents can reap benefits from homework, also. The assignment of homework can help them learn about and become involved in their child's education. They can also communicate more with their children and their schools. Perhaps most importantly, parents who promote homework can assist teachers in creating a lifelong love of learning.
source:http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu...
rajagopal23295

Con

Nowhere in my statements do I mention students not doing homework. All I mentioned was that students don't LIKE homework. And I would like to ask my opponent, why consider only American surveys and students in the USA? My statements refer to the general majority of the world's students, who do not like homework, and I was one of them too. In fact, statistically, my country, India has more number of students than the USA, and hence I strongly state that a majority of students do not like homework. American surveys suggest a positive outcome, well, maybe American teachers are very talented in giving the right kind of homework, but it just does not happen all over the world. And not every American student likes his homework, does he? When we talk about long term benefits like time management, I feel there could be ways to teach the students the same with activities that are far less boring than homework. One hour a night for homework, are you kidding me? I just passed out of school last year! "Monstrous beasts" might have come across as an exaggeration. But let me clear my point here. I do NOT feel that parents ARE really "monstrous beasts", it's only the pressure to which young minds succumb which makes them feel so. As more and more importance is given to academics, we tend to neglect other talents/activities. Parental pressure, which is nothing but expecting better grades/setting standards for their kids is a major reason why kids are not comfortable with their homework. And I do not refer exclusively to India, as one might think.

Research has also shown that homework may be harmful to the kids learning process. Researchers at Penn State have proven the parent-child psychology that I earlier mentioned. I quote directly from the research paper: "An unintended consequence may be that those children who need extra work and drill the most are the ones least likely to get it. Increasing homework loads is likely to aggravate tensions within the family, thereby generating more inequality and eroding the quality of overall education".
These words are by David P. Baker, professor of education and sociology. Hope this was the kind of evidence my worthy opponent was looking for. Do your research before arguing about lack of evidence.

"American students appear to do as much homework as their peers overseas -- if not more -- but still only score around the international average. Undue focus on homework as a national quick-fix, rather than a focus on issues of instructional quality and equity of access to opportunity to learn, may lead a country into wasted expenditures of time and energy", says Gerald K. LeTendre, associate professor of education.

As all families can not help their wards equally in their homework, it would result in an unfair advantage to the few who take homework seriously and have the resources required to do their homework the way it's supposed to be done. Dr. Baker adds in the same research paper: "If schools expect every family to reinforce the child's learning process at home, they need to realize that, when families are unequal to the task, students will not receive the same quality of education. The addition of homework will only exacerbate existing inequities within a nation's student population and pull down overall scores."

Piling on the homework doesn't help kids do better in school. In fact, it can lower their test scores.

That's the conclusion of a group of Australian researchers, who have taken the aggregate results of several recent studies investigating the relationship between time spent on homework and students' academic performance.

According to Richard Walker, an educational psychologist at Sydney University, data shows that in countries where more time is spent on homework, students score lower on a standardized test called the Program for International Student Assessment, or PISA. The same correlation is also seen when comparing homework time and test performance at schools within countries. Past studies have also demonstrated this basic trend.

According to current trends, homework is nothing but an added burden on students. It tends to bring down productivity. I hope my arguments and references to research documents are sufficient to prove that homework is pretty much useless, and should be abolished.

Source 1: National Differences, Global Similarities
World Culture and the Future of Schooling
David Baker and Gerald LeTendre
Posted by The-Ultimate-debater 2 years ago
The-Ultimate-debater
@rajagopal23295. (To correct myself in the previous comment's last part)

TO END, SHE MUST HAVE AT LOOKED AT THIS COMMENT AND I HAVE SUCCEEDED IN HURTING HER SENTIMENTS AND PRIDE NATURE, BUT SHE MUST HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO REPLY.

HOWEVER, SHE CANNOT DELETE THIS COMMENT OR THE COPY OF THE SCREENSHOT WHICH I WILL SHOW TO THE WHOLE WORLD BELONGING OF DIFFERENT AGES, SEXES, RELIGION, RACES AND OTHER SECTIONS TO PROVE THAT DRAVIDIANS LIKE HER ARE IRRATIONALLY STUPID & PREFER INFEASIBLE SOLUTIONS LIKE CHOPPING OFF TOES TO FIT IN THE SHOE INSTEAD OF FINDING A BIGGER SHOE.

LOL!! ROFL!! HAH
The-Ultimate-debater
@rajagopal23295. This person is eunuch who is also a transgender is foolish, irrational and a coward as she belongs to the Dravidian race and Dravidians are irrational and haughty. She haughtily once said that I should not have stood near the swamp to avoid splash by a van, just to haughtily feel proud that she is the only one who is careful. However, she has ignored the fact that other than just being careful and laborious, you need to be smart also to win in a competition.

She taught me to not to stand near the swamp to avoid splashing by a van and instead take another route which is costly and infeasible than the feasible solution of instructing the driver of the van to drive carefully. This means that this eunuch will chop of her toes to fit a shoe for wearing which is shorter than her feet instead of finding another shoe which is compatible in size or making the shoe bigger. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ROFL-LOL!!!! :D :D :D :D :D. These Dravidians are irrationally crazy.

Now wonder why she lost this debate.

This Dravidian who is also a eunuch has been humiliated when I said that she acts over-smartly, people will throw stones at her as she is insane, she will be dragged to a mental hospital and given electric shocks and she tries to be cool, she copied all those phrases and used the same words against me which proves that she got humiliated with my words.

She decided to teach me laws of the country when I regarded her as Dravidian. However, if she really acted like a lawyer then she should have quoted the act, section and clause (if any) when she spoke about law.

TO END, SHE CAN AVOID LOOKING AT THE DEBATE BUT SHE CANNOT DELETE THIS COMMENT OR THE COPY OF THE SCREENSHOT WHICH I WILL SHOW TO THE WHOLE WORLD BELONGING OF DIFFERENT AGES, SEXES, RELIGION, RACES AND OTHER SECTIONS TO PROVE THAT DRAVIDIANS LIKE HER ARE IRRATIONALLY STUPID & PREFER INFEASIBLE SOLUTIONS LIKE CHOPPING OFF TOES TO FIT IN THE SHOE INSTEAD OF FINDING A BIGGER SHOE.

LOL!! ROFL!! HAH
Posted by rajagopal23295 3 years ago
rajagopal23295
Thank you.. wish you the same..
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
Thanks and happy new year :)
Posted by rajagopal23295 3 years ago
rajagopal23295
Amazing debate.. Looking forward to more such encounters..
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
TheLastManrajagopal23295Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In the early rounds, Pro had sources supporting his arguments while Con only gave his personal opinion and made the unwarranted claim that he represented the entire world. Con had some relevant references in R3, but new arguments and evidence cannot be properly introduced in the last round, because Pro has no opportunity to rebut it. Con's last round has be a summary, Links should be provided to each source. Pro should have argued against the idea that making students happy is an important criteria; the purpose of school is education. Both Pro and Con used the "wall of text" style. Break the arguments into paragraphs and numbered points. Use bold headings with the claims made. Pro wins arguments by virtue of having references to studies that support his claims.
Vote Placed by Yraelz 3 years ago
Yraelz
TheLastManrajagopal23295Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm not super sure how to evaluate this debate at the end. I'm leaning pro because I believe he offers reasons to prefer at least some homework. Meanwhile con does very little work advocate for complete removal of homework, only really arguing that overload is bad. That said, Pro has sources going for him and thus I will vote on those and perhaps come back to re-evaluate at a different time.
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
TheLastManrajagopal23295Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I could not decide who had better arguments but Pro did provide sources.