This is an open debate so feel free to comment and start debating me on your stance on homework. This topic is about the use of homework in schools. Many students hate obtaining homework when they have after school activities or they just are lazy. They hate the stress and cannot handle the amounts so they would rather not have any. What they don't understand is that homework is more substantial than just studying the night before a test, that is not an opinion that is a fact. The main reason why is that homework increases brain power on that particular subject and it makes studying much easier.

It"s often stated that the dislike of homework is simply kids being lazy, but what people don"t understand is the negative effects it can bring. Quoted from stanford, "Pope and her colleagues found that too much homework can diminish its effectiveness and even be counterproductive. They cite prior research indicating that homework benefits plateau at about two hours per night, and that 90 minutes to two and a half hours is optimal for high school." (1)

They say two and a half hours of homework is optimal, however the average amount of homework given is 3.1 hours per night, and again quoted from stanford, too much homework can be counter productive.

Another downside is how homework has been linked to causing health issues in students such as sleep deprivation. Quoted from stanford, "In their open-ended answers, many students said their homework load led to sleep deprivation and other health problems". (1)

Next, I"d like to address your point when you say "Many students hate obtaining homework when they have after school activities or they just are lazy." Laziness does play a role in this, but students who dislike homework because of extra curricular activities have a solid reason. As stated by stanford, Both the survey data and student responses indicate that spending too much time on homework meant that students were "not meeting their developmental needs or cultivating other critical life skills," according to the researchers. Students were more likely to drop activities, not see friends or family, and not pursue hobbies they enjoy.

Homework is a balancing act. No one questions homework can be beneficial at times, but in the current state, the negatives outweigh the positives.

Over to you

You made some very excellent points on the negative aspects on homework. However, yes homework can be counterproductive but that is called busy work. Busy work is homework that is non productive to the subject you are studying. Trust me I have gotten busy work for years from many teachers. You are not taking in affect of the positives. Homework encourages good time use. With this ability you can schedule your sleep habits and work ethic, you can prevent sleep deprivation and promote good work ethic. This supports the statement you said " homework has been linked to causing health issues in students such as sleep deprivation", this is caused by students with poor time management. Homework can strengthen personal time management. Homework can also increase memory and thinking strategies. Homework reviews what was gone over in class and this can help you on tests. When you said "the negatives outweigh the positives." you are not taking in effect of the big picture. Sleep deprivation is very much like being drunk. Being drunk is not big picture. I know I am going off topic by talking about inebriation so I digress. The big picture is that you can never use too much time on helping your brain. When you also said "Students were more likely to drop activities" this is caused by homework. Here is a scenario, imagine you want to be a network engineer but you do the homework in the engineering class and you realize you suck at this course and you want to drop it. The homework taught you that network engineering is not you strong suit and you LEARNED that you cannot be in that field. Homework is not only just positive learning. This goes along with what you said about health problems it causes. It teaches you that too much homework can lead to sleep deprivation. I say in the big picture, the long term positives outweigh the short term negatives.

Over to you

Alright so first things first, I forgot to actually link my source by accident for last round, so here it is:

Now for rebuttals:

Rebuttal 1: "However, yes homework can be counterproductive but that is called busy work". Let"s define homework shall we. Homework: "schoolwork that a student is required to do at home." No matter what it is, even if you throw around terms like busy work, homework is homework. "They cite prior research indicating that homework benefits plateau at about two hours per night", stated from
Whether it be homework or your so called "busy work", its effectiveness plateaus at around two hours per night.
Rebuttal 2: "this is caused by students with poor time management. ". To a point I agree with you here, but at this point we can"t really blame the students. If an excess amount of them have these health issues, it gets to a point where we can"t blame the students.
Rebuttal 3: You haven"t been taking sleep deprivation seriously enough here so let"s lay down some effects for you:
-High blood pressure
-Heart attacks
-Heart failure
So, potentially, homework can kill you. Next, sleep deprivation also plays a role in learning, hurting grades at school. Quoted from webmd, "Sleep plays a critical role in thinking and learning. Lack of sleep hurts these cognitive processes in many ways. First, it impairs attention, alertness, concentration, reasoning, and problem solving. This makes it more difficult to learn efficiently."

No doubt about it, homework has its positives, being
-(sometimes) improved learning (if given in moderation)
-Better performance in the class

But cons include
-Numerous health conditions that can be caused by the excessive amount of homework given (3.1 hours on average per night)
-Homework starting to become counter productive
-Struggles learning due to sleep deprivation

Last thing, I know I have burden of proof, but can I get a source when you say "homework can lead to greater memory"
Now let"s ask ourselves a question. Is somewhat improved learning worth these risks?

I leave it at that. Fun debate my friend.

Over to you.

Tatedabeast forfeited this round.

Luxray2854 forfeited this round.