14CampbellA
retroz

Homework

retroz

14CampbellA

Con

In my opinion homework is unnecessary. This task restricts children from having fun, staying fit and healthy.
From a young age my parents encouraged me to do my homework well but quickly so I could go outside and enjoy nature. All children should have this opportunity and homework heavily suppresses this ideal. 5 days a week children go to school fur around 6 hours don't you think they've done enough work let them enjoy the rest of the day.
retroz

Pro

Home work is an effective way to reinforce what has been taught in the classroom. According to what is known as "the Learning Pyramid" Lectures only give a child a 5% retention rate on what has been taught, demonstrations give a 30% rate. What is known as "Practice by Doing" has a 75% retention rate on what has been taught. It also helps parents keep track of what their child is learning... If a child were to not bring homework home, the parent would have no paper evidence of to what the child is doing in class as well as if the child were actually learning. Homework is also a way for teachers to check for understanding, tests are not effective because some people are "bad test takers."

While my opponent brings up an interesting argument on staying fit and healthy, however with 12 hours in a day and 6 being spent on school there is a large amount of daylight for children to enjoy nature, as well as the fact that compared to other countries 6 hours a day for 5 days a week is pretty low... Some places have 6 days of school or even more.

While homework is a time consuming venture, there is plenty of time for exercise in a 24 hour day, 12 hour sunlight period... So in conclusion, Homework is an effective way to reinforce what has been taught as well as a method of communication between parent and school. It is also a way for a teacher to check for understanding.

Sources: http://thepeakperformancecenter.com...
http://wonderopolis.org...
14CampbellA

Con

14CampbellA forfeited this round.
retroz

Pro

Not much to say... I can't rebut anything...

Funny thing... I just got done with some homework about 5 hours ago. Not only did I have time to go to my Church band practice, youth group, and Church itself. I even got to watch the NFL for several hours. So, the fact that there is no time is definitely not an argument, It's about time management. So I guess, you could say that HW helps with time management.

Wow, what a boring round of debate... Hope the next round is actually interesting (unlike homework)
14CampbellA

Con

14CampbellA forfeited this round.
retroz

Pro

As a crystallization of my first argument homework is not only a way to reinforce teaching, it is also a way to check for understanding... An indirect form of communication and even a chance at family bonding through communication between parent and child. With 12 hours of sunlight in a day there is well enough time for a child to get excersise as well as experience nature...

The reason why you should vote for my side is because my opponent offered no real argument that could be considered valid nor, did they offer any evidence. Their argument was refuted and mine wasn't Plain and simple. The Con side should win this debate.
Posted by retroz 1 year ago
retroz
SORRY BIG MISTAKE, IN MY LAST SPEECH I MEANT to SAY PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Richardsonalj 1 year ago
Richardsonalj
You could talk about stress to the student when they receive homework, also homework isn't helpful on identifying where a student is failing, simply because a teacher doesn't have enough time to give certain lessons to each of their students for their learning speed and level.
Posted by retroz 1 year ago
retroz
Sorry about the 12 hours in a day part, I mistyped I meant to put 12 hours of sunlight in a day.
Posted by MizzEnigma 1 year ago
MizzEnigma
Homework is a means of personally testing whether or not you're capable of doing the work on your own. It's an extra means and a way of ensuring your remember after the fact. Besides, you wouldn't be capable of working throughout the seven hours of school, since other subjects have to be touched on. It improves your skill and helps you retain it and show you what you know. That's what I think anyway.
Posted by SnaxAttack 1 year ago
SnaxAttack
I will happily debate with you, if you want.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
14CampbellAretrozTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture