Effffort
AtypicalHomoSapiens

Homework

Effffort

Con

Homework is a very stressful thing. We go to learn for 6-10 hours depending on where you are, hoping to get some sleep but then no we must do homework. A total amount of homework an average middle school-er does is 2-4 hours worth. While in elementary it is done in 20 minutes. And high school it is about 4-6 hours. It is just unlawful sure we need our brains to grow strong but we can just manage to do that in class. In my opinion most schools should have 7 hours or more of school to keep the education flowing. And within those 7 hours should be a study hall or free period where you do something school related quietly. This could over kids great opportunities to succeed. Homework also affects sleep worrying about the 8 courses you have homework from and those 2 tests due in like a week. And you stay up all night because you are so overwhelmed. Yet you are afraid to talk to a teacher because of all this. This should be stopped, and if your with me to better minds in a more easier way and less stressful way vote on my side. FOR SLEEP.
AtypicalHomoSapiens

Pro

What exactly are you arguing for? That homework is stressful? That we should decrease the amount of homework students have to do? Both are valid, debatable points, but arguing both points is too broad a topic for one debate. What demographic are we discussing? Elementary, middle school, or high school? What country(s) are we discussing in this debate?

In the interest of not wasting this round, I will assume that we are discussing this issue in context of the United States. You mentioned high school, which is generally the US term for secondary education. I will also assume that you are arguing for reducing the homework load for high school students.

First, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average number of hours spent in school is between 6.5 and 7 hours (Source: https://nces.ed.gov...). The average amount of time spent on homework outside of school in 2007 was about 7 hours per week, or about 1.5 hours per school night. While this data is outdated, it is highly unlikely that homework loads have increased by 2-4 hours a night in the last 8 years (Source: https://nces.ed.gov...). All told, this works out to be about 8.5 hours of studying a day. If the student gets 9 hours of sleep (which is quite a bit more than average, a quick google search suggests the average is around 7.5hrs), this leaves him or her with around 6 hours of free time, which is enough that he or she could hold a part time job. Assuming the student manages his or her time well, getting sleep should not be a problem for the average high schooler.

Second, Homework prepares the student for the rigors of real life; 8.5 hours of studying per day is roughly equivalent to holding a 9-to-5 job. By the end of high school, students should be able to handle such time commitments without being stressed.

Lastly, cutting the amount of homework would mean that the teacher would either have to cut down the amount of material covered in class, or the student would practice the concepts less, potentially making them less prepared for tests and hindering long-term retention. Homework is especially needed in mathematics courses; students generally need a good bit of practice doing problems.
Effffort

Con

(First, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average number of hours spent in school is between 6.5 and 7 hours (Source: https://nces.ed.gov......). The average amount of time spent on homework outside of school in 2007 was about 7 hours per week, or about 1.5 hours per school night) Incorrect, I have gathered information from many students across new england and they have said that homework lasts longer than 1.5 hours average. You cannot ask the government who hasn't taking homework for like 20 years and whose statistics are off by 8 years. The average amount of homework a day for a 7th grader or up is 2 hours length wise. Most students go to 6- 10 hours actually to catch up on stuff either before school or after, including the bus rides they have to wake up early for. all this leaving about 8- 12 hours of that day left leaving about 4 hours of freetime as 9 " hours are sleep.
Adolescents are notorious for not getting enough sleep. The average amount of sleep that teenagers get is between 7 and 7 " hours. However, they need between 9 and 9 " hours (studies show that most teenagers need exactly 9 " hours of sleep).
http://www.nationwidechildrens.org...

A job is even more work to handle or extra curriculum activities such as sports or musics. which take up at least 2 hours. And what about the kids need for social life, they need that to all that is so overwhelming. You can say school you can socialize with friends but the only real period you get is study hall or lunch. I understand we need homework but we can still manage to work things out like odd number problems only or only 1 page or half a page. Or 4 assignments and you have a week to do it. Etc. This will be easy to use as for time management, schools need to be more flexible like college where a lot of assignments are due weekly, and you pick your days and times that feel right.
AtypicalHomoSapiens

Pro

You don't answer my questions clarifying what we are arguing about here, so my assumptions will stand.

"I have gathered information from many students across new england" - This is just your word against mine. I have demonstrated with credible evidence that the homework load is not as much as you say, and you have not given sufficient evidence to show otherwise. I agreed that statistics from 2007 are outdated, but I highly doubt the average amount of homework done per night has increased from 1.5 hours a night to 4-6 hours a night. Also, what do you mean by this statement: "You cannot ask the government who hasn't taking homework for like 20 years"?

"The average amount of homework a day for a 7th grader or up is 2 hours length wise." - Irrelevant, we debating about high school (9-12th grade) students, and you also don't give a source.

Schools don't typically force students to participate in extracurricular activities. If the student (or their parent) signs up for those programs, they are signing up to take on the extra time commitments. I also agree that the student needs social interaction; however, this can easily be done in their free time, or even in extracurricular activities (to a certain extent).
Effffort

Con

I'm not trying to bring up sources Its about real life opinions. Homework is about the abilities of the person not the qualities the professor expects. And the whole point of extra activities is for scholarships with homework is is unable to be compatible.
Government associates are like older and have not done school homework in a while. And this whole topic is an opinion based question so you cannot bring in facts for this. Homework never took 1.5 hours per night, maybe in china but in the U.S. no. Maybe per course it takes 1.5 hours per night but where your getting your sources they are unreliable. They free time is very minimum and schools do typically encourage students to do sports for their social interactions, and for jobs or scholarships. But with homework from each course this is really hard to get done. Students usually sleep 6-8 hours because of homework since they also want their social time. Unless you have evidence that is up to date, with a specific description about how/what. When was the last time you have asked a kid how long it takes them to do homework? Its an opinion question. Students are capable of getting this done but the length of it is just really unreasonable, which is why schools should cut this length down. Now if you have been seeing your student/child going to sleep late and waking up early for the bus you should have a conversation with the childs/students guidance counselor. If you need sleep and less stressful homework across america let us know in the comments how you feel.
AtypicalHomoSapiens

Pro

"I'm not trying to bring up sources Its about real life opinions." - What? Then why are we debating? If this is just your opinion versus my opinion, then neither one of us can be

"Government associates are like older and have not done school homework in a while." - If you would take the time to read my source and how the data was collected, you would see that it isn't government associates answering the questions. Researchers asked "[the] parent most knowledgeable about the student's education," and based that table on those responses.

"And this whole topic is an opinion based question" - No, it's not. First, you never specified that it was, and secondly, you posted this in the debates section, not the opinions section.
"...so you cannot bring in facts for this." Yes. Yes I can bring in facts, as we are debating this. If there are no facts used, then this debate is your opinion versus mine and therefore it isn't a debate.

"where your getting your sources they are unreliable" - I'm getting them from the U.S. government. Would you like to explain why your opinion is more reliable than a government source, even if it is outdated?

"When was the last time you have asked a kid how long it takes them to do homework?" - Very recently. I'm in high school. The average time is about 2 hours.
Effffort

Con

Effffort forfeited this round.
AtypicalHomoSapiens

Pro

Looks like Con decided not to continue this debate.
Effffort

Con

(By Gman902)"As for the "Pro" in the argument, the homework load really is extremely high. 6 hour homework nights are not uncommon.School doesn't really allow much time for socializing, jobs, or basically anything else. There's a reason the people who have jobs are always in the state between sleep and being awake. It used to be that every grade you got 10 min of homework added. Now, however teachers tend to spike a book at your face and say "GO". As for sleep deprivation, generally you go to sleep even if you have work. if you need an excuse to sleep instead of work, sleep on it and decide what to do. Either way procrastination reigns supreme ;) I'm going to go let my brain cells grow back although it was hilarious reading this (though difficult sometimes while brain cells were committing suicide)."

Thank you for the contribution, this man has shown the cons of both sides or our errors. But he really points out the one in yours. School life intervenes with actual life, and you don't have to go through the whole entire school to grab an education, anyone can be smart if they push themselves to it.
Teachers rarely have time themselves when they dont explain something, or dont pass stuff in on time. They assign stuff they dont even know about so they have to re-check. Im not trying to go against you anymore con Im just speaking for myself and those who are with me. So if you or your government cannot understand what students are going through, shame on you.
AtypicalHomoSapiens

Pro

"anyone can be smart if they push themselves to it." - Implying that it takes effort.
"So if you or your government cannot understand what students are going through, shame on you." - Mild ad hominem. Besides that, I am a student too, so I can understand what students go through and from my perspective it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the debate, Con.

Vote Pro, as Con didn't really have anything to back his side up with, besides personal experience.
Posted by Gman902 1 year ago
Gman902
First of all, while I feel like homework loads should be reduced, the fact that the "Con" in this argument cant speak English or use English phrases, suggests that he clearly has not received the proper amount of grammar homework. "2 hours length-wise"? Sorry but i never learned that time was measured with Imperial measurements. Also, punctuation does exist and is generally placed in sentences to make it more understandable. And yes I hate homework, its dished out by the hours, and our school system is pretty trashy, however homework is useful to help you learn to focus on your own, not rely on others to solve problems for you, and helps development overall. Also, if your not wanting to use sources and facts in your argument, you shouldn't be arguing in the first place lol. Arguing is what is generally used to state your opinions, reasons for opinions, and show (and hopefully win) the other person involved your point of view. While you have mastered it as a technique to kill off brain cells, that's generally not a very good use for it. Also extra school activities are encouraged but not enforced by the school. and I would say I'm a good subject to ask as I am in high school. As for the "Pro" in the argument, the homework load really is extremely high. 6 hour homework nights are not uncommon.School doesn't really allow much time for socializing, jobs, or basically anything else. There's a reason the people who have jobs are always in the state between sleep and being awake. It used to be that every grade you got 10 min of homework added. Now, however teachers tend to spike a book at your face and say "GO". As for sleep deprivation, generally you go to sleep even if you have work. if you need an excuse to sleep instead of work, sleep on it and decide what to do. Either way procrastination reigns supreme ;) I'm going to go let my brain cells grow back although it was hilarious reading this (though difficult sometimes while brain cells were committing suicide).