Dark32
SaintMichael741

Homework

Dark32

Con

School student should not have homework for several reasons. After roughly 7 hours at school. Students want to go home and relax. But when they get home, they have to do more school work. They learn the materials at school, but why do the need to re-learn the stuff they l;earned at school. In fifth grade, my teacher never assigned homework. Almost everybody got an A or higher. I believe that all students can be more successful without homework. It takes the average student about 1-2 hours doing homework. They should be outside playing. Staying inside doesn't get you fit. Is that not the reason why more kids are becoming obese?
SaintMichael741

Pro

Students need homework in order to reinforce the lessons they have learned in class. It is a hassle, but a necessary one. I would like to start by addressing some point you brought up.

1. "the average student" What age group is this? This could include anything from first grade to a college graduate.
2. "Students want to go home and relax" Everyone wants to go home and relax, but it is a part of a student's job to get their homework done.
3. "In fifth grade, my teacher never assigned homework. Almost everybody got an A or higher." A singular event that does not prove any trend whatsoever. You cannot talk about an average student later in your discussion and use yourself in the argument.
4. "Is that not the reason why more kids are becoming obese?" Obesity comes from many factors such as how a child spends his free time and diets. I think you need to make a better argument to convince me or anyone else that homework causes obesity.

Homework exists in order to help a student fully understand a topic on their own. Teachers benefit from homework because they can tell where their students are in the class. Who is struggling? Is it safe to move on to more advanced topics now that the basics are covered? I think that homework is a necessity in understanding advanced topics, especially in later grades.
Dark32

Con

Dark32 forfeited this round.
SaintMichael741

Pro

I extend all arguments and wait for my opponent's reply.
Dark32

Con

Dark32 forfeited this round.
SaintMichael741

Pro

I guess my opponent is too busy doing his homework...I extend all arguments. Please check out my other debates!
Dark32

Con

Dark32 forfeited this round.
SaintMichael741

Pro

Well this was uneventful.