ProfJacob
montero

Homework

ProfJacob

Con

Rules

1. No plagiarism. In other words, don't copy someone else's work and claim it as your own.

2. You may only troll when things get completely out of hand.

3. Burden of Proof (BoP) is on Pro.

4. Pro may argue first. However, in the final round, Pro must type "I shall make no arguments, as agreed upon."

Failure to follow these rules will result in a 7-point forfeiture.
montero

Pro

I believe homework is an essential piece of education that allows students to have more time to expand on their thoughts and topics learned at school. Homework is an excellent solution, preventing our schools from becoming the only place where thoughts and thinking, in general, is used. An entire grade's curriculum would shrink drastically if homework were to be banned because teachers would have to take extra time for their students to complete assignments which should be done at home. This would stunt entire generations' knowledge and require new grade standards which would be lower than usual. Homework also prepares students to take on the many tasks and errands required for jobs in the future. It gives responsibility, extra creativity, and the experience of hard work. These are all essential skills needed in life after school.
ProfJacob

Con

Rebuttals

"I believe homework is an essential piece of education that allows students to have more time to expand on their thoughts and topics learned at school."

Homework is work assigned to be done AT HOME, whilst classwork being, work assigned to be done DURING CLASS! I was going to ask: What's the difference? However, you mentioned "more time". So, I should've mentioned:

1. Classwork should only be done AT HOME (Although being work assigned to be done AT CLASS) if the person didn't finish it.

"Homework is an excellent solution, preventing our schools from becoming the only place where thoughts and thinking, in general, is used."

Either you ignored, or forgot to, reason for, so what if schools in general, are the only place where thinking is used, or you didn't place your views in public scrutiny because you fear losing, thus ignoring any may-have-been criticism/scrutiny and still claiming what you deem true, thus exposing your might-be cowardliness. And now that I have mentioned, please do so.

(P.S. The reason I included "in general" was because, even if there is no homework (That being, work assigned to be done at home, like said), you can still discuss about it out of school boundaries)

"An entire grade's curriculum would shrink drastically if homework were to be banned because teachers would have to take extra time for their students to complete assignments which should be done at home."

Like said, classwork should only be done AT HOME (Although being work assigned to be done AT CLASS) if the person didn't finish it. Therefore, they could use up time that could've been used for completing their work for something else.

"Homework also prepares students to take on the many tasks and errands required for jobs in the future. It gives responsibility, extra creativity, and the experience of hard work. These are all essential skills needed in life after school."

And then, here's where I could use (And validly) my argument: The only difference between classwork and homework is that both are assigned work supposed to be done at different places. So, what's the difference? Especially the fact that before receiving any of that (Whether that would be worksheets, etc), you are first taught the lesson. Otherwise, your only decisions would be to either research (Recommended), or guess.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments.
montero

Pro

You think there is no difference between homework and work done in school? There is a huge difference! A normal day of school is about six hours, while a normal class is around an hour and a half. If no homework is assigned and teachers are required to use the little amount of time they have to provide time for their students to do work which should be done at home, time for lessons and teachings will be shortened by quite a bit.

If work was done at school instead of home, grade averages would drop because of the many distractions our surroundings and peers would provide. It is easy for the work and assignments done in class to be rushed as well.

You said "Classwork should only be done AT HOME (Although being work assigned to be done AT CLASS) if the person didn't finish it." This makes no sense! This debate is to see whether we should have homework or not have homework. You can't change it and say something like "homework is fine, if the student did not finish it in class."

"Like said, classwork should only be done AT HOME (Although being work assigned to be done AT CLASS) if the person didn't finish it. Therefore, they could use up time that could've been used for completing their work for something else."

As I have said before, homework creates time management skills. Teachers are, for the most part, fair in the amount of homework they assign. If students just manage their time wisely and do not procrastinate they will have time for, as you said, "something else".

"And then, here's where I could use (And validly) my argument: The only difference between classwork and homework is that both are assigned work supposed to be done at different places. So, what's the difference?"

There is a HUGE difference! The quality of work would be greater if students were doing their work in the comfort of their own home, not to mention at their own pace. This is crucial! Many students may feel pressured by the little time they have to complete their work in school, and "rush" their thinking. This leads to poorly done work.
ProfJacob

Con

ProfJacob forfeited this round.
montero

Pro

montero forfeited this round.
ProfJacob

Con

ProfJacob forfeited this round.
montero

Pro

montero forfeited this round.
Posted by GWL-CPA 2 years ago
GWL-CPA
Great debate for two children.