BlackHomophobicAtheists
cduffy05

Homophobia is beneficial to many heterosexuals

BlackHomophobicAtheists

BlackHomophobicAtheists

Pro

Let's just keep it simple. State your argument and we will see who wins.

Beneficial -
favorable or advantageous; resulting in good.

1. Straight friend crushes is one of the most common issues in the gay community. Many closet and open gays crush on their straight friends. Many heterosexuals consider this a problem. Homophobes are less likely to experience this problem because homophobes wouldn't befriend open gays in the first place in which keeps open gays out of their life to avoid any possible discomforting friendship issues. Gays are less likely to come on to homophobes in which saves homophobes from being discomforted compared to non-homophobic heterosexuals . Gays are more likely to attemp to sexually seduce gay friendly heterosexuals based on wishful thinking that the non-homophobic heterosexual might be a little gay. Closet gays are less likely to even reveal their crush. Closet gays are also less likely to come out to a homophobes in which prevents discomforting homophobes. These real situations gives homophobes the favorable outcome resulting in good for the homophobe compared to non-homophobic heterosexuals giving the same situation.

2. Some gays attempt to sexually seduce heterosexuals hoping the heterosexual might be a little gay. Gays are less likely to attempt to sexually seduce homophobic heterosexuals because of safety concerns and undesired responses. This saves homophobic heterosexuals from unwanted sexual advances giving non-homophobic heterosexuals the disadvantage.

3. Some heterosexuals experience homosexuality out of curiosity in which increases the chances of contracting deadliest stds. Homophobes are less likely to experience homosexuality compared to non-homophobic heterosexuals. Some non-homophobic heterosexuals experience homosexuality for the money. Some non-homophobi-heterosexuals are weak so they let homosexuals persuade them to be sexually seduced. Homophobic heterosexuals gets the advantage because our homophobia, make it less likely to experience homosexuality in which decreases the risk of contracting deadly stds.

The homophobes who are caught engaging in homosexual behavior are fake homophobes. In other words, they are pretending to be homophobic.
cduffy05

Con

The official definition of homophobia according to Merriam-Webster is the "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals." Note that this includes discrimination against homosexual people.

Discriminating against gay people is not okay. According to cdc.gov, "LGBTQ youth are also at increased risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors, suicide attempts, and suicide. A nationally representative study of adolescents in grades 7"12 found that lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth were more than twice as likely to have attempted suicide as their heterosexual peers." Being irrationally cruel to a person simply because they are homosexual is not a realistic method of avoiding unwanted sexual advances. However, if a gay male or female was persistently sexual with someone (sexual orientation doesn't even matter in this situation) who had stated they were not interested, that becomes sexual harassment. Homophobia is not a realistic method, rather it is harmful especially with the suicide rate of LGBTQ youth.

"Straight friend crushes is one of the most common issues in the gay community." This is not factually based. I am sure that this can be an issue for gay people. I would find it very difficult falling for someone I have literally no chance with. However, neither gay people nor straight people consciously choose who they fall for - it just happens. I would never be upset with another girl for having a crush on me because that's not her fault. I would be flattered, but make it clear that I am heterosexual. I also think that you are making the false assumption that gay people fall for every member of the same sex regardless of sexual orientation.

To say that homophobia is "beneficial" to heterosexuals can be true to an extent, but there can still be compassion and understanding for homosexual people. Like I said before, persistent sexual advances from one person to another is sexual harassment. If a gay person hasn't exhibited any harassing behavior, what is the point of literally terrifying them to the point of staying away from you because you don't want a gay person to "crush" on you? Why is it so difficult to say "I'm sorry, I'm flattered, but I'm not gay." A gay person being attracted to you does not make YOU gay.

Being bicurious is perfectly healthy. Gay people do not "make" straight people gay. If a previously straight person decides to experiment with the same sex, that does not necessarily make them gay - simply bicurious.

It is up to two consenting adults to make sure that they are having safe sexual relations. Your argument that homophobia prevents STDs is not logical. Male and females can also get STDs from each other. If you have unsafe sex, then you are at risk for contracting STDs. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
BlackHomophobicAtheists

Pro

"Discriminating against gay people is not okay"

This is a straw man fallacy. "

My claim is, homophobia Is beneficial to many heterosexuals. "You are arguing as if my claim is, homophobia is beneficial to gays. "That's not my argument. "You are arguing against a distorted version of my claim. Also, simply expressing disgust of gays is enough to be labeled a homophobe. "A homophobe doesn't have to discriminate against gays to be considered a homophobe since a part of the definition is an "aversion to". "If a person doesn't discriminate against gays, isn't afraid of gays but is disgusted by gays, he is still considered a homophobe."Also, study shows homophobia is rooted in unwanted sexual advances. "Another study shows homophobia is rooted in disgust, not fear. "

"According to cdc.gov, "LGBTQ youth are also at increased risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors, suicide attempts, and suicide. A nationally representative study of adolescents in grades 7"12 found that lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth were more than twice as likely to have attempted suicide as their heterosexual peers.""

This is an appeal to emotions fallacy."
This is also another straw man fallacy.

You are trying to appeal to the readers' emotions to convince them to side with you but this has nothing to do with my claim. "Again, my claim is, Homophobia is beneficial to many heterosexuals. "You are arguing as if my claim is, Homophobia doesn't hurt gays.. "Again, you are arguing against a distorted version of my claim.

"Being irrationally cruel to a person simply because they are homosexual is not a realistic method of avoiding unwanted sexual advances"

First of all, you're pretending as if its not wrong for gays to make sexual advances towards heterosexuals Knowing they are heterosexuals. When a person does something that "they know is not right, they shouldn't be surprised If there are negative consequences."Its not irrational if it works and it does work. "Humans in general are less likely to behave a certain way If there are negative consequences. "There are negative consequences for gays to "make sexual advances towards Homophobes Because they were wrong for making sexual advances in the first place.

"However, if a gay male or female was persistently sexual with someone (sexual orientation doesn't even matter in this situation) who had stated they were not interested, that becomes sexual harassment"

Sexual orientation does matter because If a gay person is interested in a heterosexual person, They know the heterosexual is not interested by default. "Simply being heterosexual Should send a clear message without having to say a word. "Being the fact that straight crushes is a huge issue in the gay community, Many gays obviously don't want to respect the sexual orentation line.

"Homophobia is not a realistic method, rather it is harmful especially with the suicide rate of LGBTQ youth"

In this case, homophobia is a defense mechanism. Gays are wrong for coming onto heterosexuals in the first place. "Therefore, gays put themselves in harms way for the sake of doing wrong. The problem is, gays want to do wrong without Facing "negative consequences "

"This is not factually based"

Yes it is. I will post the sources in the next round. Straight crushes is the most discussed issue among gays.

" However, neither gay people nor straight people consciously choose who they fall for - it just happens"

When gays fall for heterosexuals and act on it, it is outright disrespecting the heterosexual's sexuality because the heterosexual is not interested by default. Simply being Heterosexual should be enough for the gay to realize that he or she is out of place."

"I would never be upset with another girl for having a crush on me because that's not her fault"

The fact remains, many heterosexuals don't like that and homophobic heterosexuals are less likely to deal with it giving us the advantage. "

I "personally became homophobic for that very "reason. Before I became homophobic, I had gay friends and didn't even know they were gay. "I thought they were straight. They were hiding it from me. Other people knew it before I did and they were accusing me of being gay because I was hanging around them. "Also, one of the gays had a crush on me. "They finally revealed it later on. "The gay that had a crush on me ended up going into a state of depression because I refuse To have gay sex with him. "I wasn't mean. I was still nice to them. After that, I decided to not have any gay friends and not be around any gay people.

Since I became homophobic, I let everybody know that I'm homophobic when I first meet them. "I let them know that I will beat the crap out of them if they ever tried to come on to me. "I've been like this for the past 10 years and I haven't had any problems with gays. "I think I even scared off some closet gays before they had a chance to make friends. "It works for me and I'm happy With the way I am.

""I would be flattered, but make it clear that I am heterosexual"

To me, even if an ugly woman thinks I'm attractive, its not even flattering. It's only flattering if the woman is attractive who thinks I'm attractive. "Therefore, if a gay man finds me attractive, Not only "is it not flattering, it's insulting and it makes me feel violated. "It's like a dog wanting to hump your leg. "If a dog wanted to hump your leg, would you find that flattering? "Well, how you feel about a dog humping your leg is how I feel about gays coming on to me.

"I also think that you are making the false assumption that gay people fall for every member of the same sex regardless of sexual orientation"

This is ANOTHER "straw man fallacy."

I never said All gays want every member of the opposite sex. I also never said every heterosexual

" but there can still be compassion and understanding for homosexual people".

From my own personal Experience and from reading gay discussions, "Gays see compassion and understanding by their straight crushes as a weakness or "hope for a sexual opportunity.

"" If a gay person hasn't exhibited any harassing behavior, what is the point of literally terrifying them to the point of staying away from you because you don't want a gay person to "crush" on you? "

It does the job. The bottom line is, "If a heterosexual doesn't want gays coming on to him or her, "Homophobia is the best defense system. "Being nice to gays is just going to make them think that they have a chance. "

"Why is it so difficult to say "I'm sorry, I'm flattered, but I'm not gay."

You kindness will make gays think that they still have a chance with being your friend. "That won't work."

" A gay person being attracted to you does not make YOU gay"

If a dog wanted to hump your leg, that doesn't make you a dog But its still not a good feeling. Better yet, it's a feeling one would want to avoid.

"Being bicurious is perfectly healthy"

When heterosexuals experience homosexuality, they are greatly increasing the risk of contracting deadly STDs.

"Gay people do not "make" straight people gay"

This is a straw man fallacy. I never claimed that. "From reading gay discussions, I've learned that many gays act on wishful thinking, not reality. Theyre thinking, "maybe the heterosexual is a little gay" "The fact remains, Homophobes have the privilege of not having to deal with gay come ons. "Its the same scenario as bullies know who not to mess with. "If a homosexual comes on to a homophobe, The homosexual could face negative consequences that's not worth the risk. "If a homosexual comes on to a non-homophobe, "It's worth the risk because the only risk is a hetersexual turning them down.

"Your argument that homophobia prevents STDs is not logical"

Some weak, non-homophobic heterosexuals could be persuaded into having gay sex especially when money is offered. "People will do almost anything for the money. "A gay offered me $350 to have gay sex. "I told him "no" and t
cduffy05

Con

cduffy05 forfeited this round.
BlackHomophobicAtheists

Pro

Homophobia is beneficial to many heterosexuals because homophobes are less likely to befriend gays in which decreases the chance of experiencing unwanted crushes from gays, unwanted friendship issues from gays and sexual advances from gays.

Straight crush stories
Ellen Friedrichs, LGBT Teens Expert

5 types of straight crushes
Ellen Friedrichs, LGBT Teens Expert
cduffy05

Con

cduffy05 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
BlackHomophobicAtheistscduffy05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture