Minddagger
mercywilliams123

Homophobia needs a new Title

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

Minddagger

Pro

I believe that we need to change the name, phobia is the definition of "fear" not hate, its even on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

when was the last time you saw someone actually afraid of Homosexuals? its complete nonsense to keep a word that has a completely different meaning than it should.
mercywilliams123

Con

First of all you cant trust Wikipedia because anybody can edit it so i cant really take this seriously. Second of all I know people who are afraid of them theirs not very many but there are people out there who are but just as i have a fear of arachnids they have of fear of homosexuals. The name should be changed though I agree I`m just saying that you shouldn't look on wikipedia because its not reliable.
Minddagger

Pro

while it is true that their are some people that actually ARE afraid of homosexuals, it does not change the fact that the name needs to be changed, because it is making those who have actual phobias look bad,

and yes, ANYBODY could edit Wikipedia, but i'm pretty sure that they wouldn't let THE MAIN FACT about phobias be changed, also, it is a huge website, so i doubt anyone would change up phobias of all things.
mercywilliams123

Con

I totally agree and making it a phobia seems a little strong. you still should not use wikipedia its not reliable I can debate about that to and people edit anything on it even the MAIN FACT and the small things so i still wouldn't trust it. If you find a more reliable site send me the link and i`ll check it out then ill believe you and leave the debate alone.
Minddagger

Pro

alright then if you want some proof:

http://www.dictionary.com...

https://www.merriam-webster.com...

also, their are many people who correct the main fact on wikipedia.com, not that this debate was about it though
mercywilliams123

Con

Thank you but on the first link it says hate
Posted by Minddagger 1 month ago
Minddagger
I was hoping we would actually debate about the main term tbh
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 month ago
MagicAintReal
So do you think science should change the term for hydrophobic substances...after all, oil's not afraid of water, is it?

Or, you can accept that "phobic" can also mean "repelled by."
Posted by Youraverageunicorn 1 month ago
Youraverageunicorn
I'm not going to debate this but I just want to let you know that we're scared of what we don't understand. Hate can mean scared. Fear comes in many different forms.