k1r5ty911
mav935

Homosexual Marriage: Should it be Legalised in the UK

k1r5ty911

Pro

I am for gay marriage. First round to introduce yourself and present first argument.
mav935

Con

Hello. I am a student that lives in the United States of America. However, I am against gay marriage.

***NOTE*** I am sorry if I offend anybody by writing this. If anybody who reads this happens to be homosexual and/or takes this offensive, then please do NOT read.

It is one thing for gays to be together, but it is another for them to get "married". Strictly from the bible (I happen to be Catholic) it has a section stating that marriage is between a man and a woman. If two homosexuals want to be together forever, they should not be taking the name of marriage. It would be fine if it was to be called a union, but when two of the same genders are being blessed together, then that should not be re-considering the holy bible. It is very aggravating to me (and many others) that two people who are both of the same sex are taking the name of what should be a man and a woman. I realize this is becoming cliche, so I will leave my first round point at this. Good luck and let the debating begin!
k1r5ty911

Pro

Although gay marriage does go against the teachings of the bible, does the bible not also say that you should love one another.

In this world, there are hundreds of different religions, why should the law be moulded to fit around one sub-section of christianity? If the couple themselves are happy together and wish to spend their lives together, why should they not be allowed to have the same rights as a heterosexual couple? Because one book that less than a third of the world (according to the global religious landscape) follows. Should our laws also consider Muslim culture, as this is the second most popular religion in the UK?

. Religion is not law, religion is something that can be chosen and something that many people choose to follow different sectors of. If a large group of gay people decide to start a religion that encompasses gay marriage, what would be the difference between your argument and theirs? I propose that the laws should be set out in such a way that allows personal choice, allows everybody to maintain the fundamentals of their own belief and that it should be accepted by others, as every religious book that I know of has a clause stating that everybody should love everybody else.
mav935

Con

mav935 forfeited this round.
k1r5ty911

Pro

As somebody that isn't a fan of the idea of marriage as it is portrayed (the big wedding with lots of people and even more money), the reason that I would like to get married to show my love and commitment to another person- on the legal side of marriage, a husband/wife is trusted with their significant others life, literally- they are the person responsible for making medical decisions, they are the person that will get inherit everything in the event of death. Marrying somebody, to me, is the ultimate show of trust and the civil partnerships that are currently allowed do not allow the same responsibilities. Why, in this society where it is acceptable to be gay, should a person not be able to make the same commitment that a straight person can?
mav935

Con

mav935 forfeited this round.
Posted by LaszloZapacik 3 years ago
LaszloZapacik
What Con is essentially saying is "My personal beliefs should be enforced by law".

If you want to believe that 'marriage' should be a term used only for heterosexual couples then fine, you're entitled to believe that. But what you're arguing here is that the government should enforce that view on the population.
Posted by LaszloZapacik 3 years ago
LaszloZapacik

Posted by k1r5ty911 3 years ago
k1r5ty911
The bill has been forced through a few months ago, however it is still facing a lot of opposition and isnt thought to take affect for several months
Posted by Dragonfang 3 years ago
Dragonfang
What is, does not determinate what is ought.

Will probably join if I am free tommorow.
Posted by TN05 3 years ago
TN05
Um, hasn't it already been legalized?