Hanspete
itsdostuff

Homosexual Marriage

Hanspete

Hanspete

Pro

So anyway I am for Homosexual Marriage, first round acceptance only other three fair game. I wish my opponent good luck and remember no vulgar language, profanities, or slurs, you have a right to your opinion, but not a vulgar outlash.
itsdostuff

Con

Homosexual marriage is just wrong. You can't simply call it marriage between the same sex, I mean we all know marriage is between a man and a woman, homosexual marriage should not be advised, it is completely violating the law. Cant just dating be enough?
I'm a Christian and according to Christianity, it is completely unacceptable to allow gay marriage, it is a sin according to God and His word. For even Jesus spoke about this: "From the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female. For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother; and shall cleave to his wife." (Mark 10:6-7). This is straightforward.
After marriage the spouses are known to be husband and wife not husband and husband or wife and wife. really? that is what marriage is. We need to get this straight that marriage cannot be simply used just like that. It has its meaning and there is no way we need to change that.
Hanspete

Pro

I would like to begin my first round by listing several definitions.

Homosexuality- sexually attracted to people of the same sex. [1]
Marriage- the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship. [2] Marriage between two people of the same sex is no longer illegal in most states, in fact it is legal in 35 of the 50 states. [3] And let me ask you a simple question is dating enough for straight people? No, they marry. Now let me ask several questions, Am I different from any other human being with the exception that I like guys instead of girls? How am I less human if I tell you I am straight, but then I tell you I am not? How does it make me anything less than I was? Yes there are bible verses condemning homosexuality, there are 8 to be exact. [4] However there are almost 700 telling us to love one another. [5] Does that mean we should ignore god's command to love one another in order to uphold a clearly less enforced idea that homosexuals are sinners? Is it really worth the effort? As a Catholic Christian myself I know what I am told and what God tells us to love everyone as you love yourself. In terms of how is marriage being used with gay people, elaborate on your claim that marriage is being used. And from your final sentence how does letting two people marry take away from the meaning of the word marriage?

[1] www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homosexual
[2] www.thefreedictionary.com/marriage
[3] gaymarriage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID
[4] https://answers.yahoo.com...
[5] http://www.answers.com...
itsdostuff

Con

Okay, so I guess I'm going to have to answer your questions.

No you are not different from any other human being by being gay, some human beings are gay. I found the other questions useless i mean are you asking me for advice? you totally missed the fact were are talking about Homosexual MARRIAGE. Or am I wrong?
I'm glad you did agree to the fact that the bible does discourage gay marriage, well obviously considering the fact you're Christian as well.
Okay doesn't mean we love each other means we should allow Gay marriage, i mean if it meant so, why did God discourage it? Its kind of the same thing as saying, a man robbed a woman and just because we love that man, he mustn't go to jail.
Yes it is totally worth the effort, everything about this is.
And in your final question you did not specify which two people are getting married, because a woman and a man getting married does not in anyway take away from the meaning marriage but for the same sex to get married it does, why? let me tell you why, because Gay marriage undermines the concept of marriage.The institution of marriage has traditionally been defined as between a man and a woman.It is a union of man and woman, involving the procreation and rearing of children within a family, is as old as the book of Genesis.
Children who are adopted need a mother and a father, not two parents of the same gender. Gay marriage won't solve that problem, just make it worse.
Hanspete

Pro

No, sorry if I made it seem like I was asking advice, those questions were meant to be rhetorical, mostly anyway. What I am saying with the Bible telling us to love one another is not meant at all in a sexual way but in a way of deviating respect onto a person. But why is it worth the effort? The majority of people now support gay marriage, how would you plan on convincing them of it otherwise? You say gay marriage undermines the concept of marriage, but if traditional marriage is held in a church then how does gay marriage undermine the concept if it's held in a courtroom? The traditional marriage institution has been undermined for years all around the world, as the majority of the world doesn't conduct marriage in the way that we as Christians deem acceptable. To say to your argument that gay marriage won't solve the problem, what problem. There are instances of gay kids being thrown out of there houses for being gay! [1] Where are the instances of gay couples rejecting there kid for being straight? With that I rest my case, and maybe I should've changed the title to simply Homosexuality.

[1] http://www.theguardian.com...
itsdostuff

Con

Yes it would have been better for you to change the topic to Homosexuality, but that cant be done now. So I will base my points and arguments according to the topic given. That was an excellent question to my point of view, the one about how would I convince them otherwise but my answer really is that I wouldn't convince them otherwise, because no matter the situation people will still support Gay marriage and people who really support Gay Marriage stick to their opinion and its not like i want them to change their opinion about Homosexual Marriage, i just wouldn't advise it but if i had to convince them i'd simply mention to them the disadvantages of Gay Marriage and the result.
Okay the traditional marriage institution being held in a church has been undermined because people have different beliefs and you cant change the beliefs of others(religious speaking). My last sentence was referring to the sentence before that, it won't solve the problem of the adopted child. The child needs a mother and a father.
To answer your question 1, it isn't concerning the topic Homosexual Marriage, so i don't know if my answer is relevant.
The instance is that the child being straight is normal and if they don't want a straight kid, why adopt?
Hanspete

Pro

FIrst off to conclude, I would like to thank my opponent for debating this with me, I found it fun and a bit entertaining and am quite glad the politically correct police didn't come and deactivate your account (it happened to my last opponent). So you say that you will do nothing to convince people otherwise on Gay marriage then what is the fundamental argument you are trying to make on the topic of Homosexuality, beyond advising against it? Then to further dissect your question, what are the disadvantages that you speak of? And to the relevance of your answer yeah I think it has some relevance, but that's just me what other people think I have no clue. And for your last sentence who is saying that gay parents only want gay kids? When I want to have a child I want that child to be exactly who they are, not who they should be based on who I am.

Now I want to make some more points of my own. First off there is no reason to oppose the marrying of homosexuals, especially if you say it erodes traditional marriage. One, gay marriages do not occur in churches, Two traditional marriage isn't going away anytime soon, it never will. The reason it never will is because 98.3% of the U.S. population is straight, so what's to worry about then? [1] Beyond the argument that God doesn't approve of homosexuals, what other agrument is there against it, that it wrong and we are sinners? Well isn't that hypocritical of us for Jesus himself said "And let those without sin cast the first stone." [2] Jesus says in that statement that we can not judge someone based on their sin, for we ourselves are guilty of sin as well. This leaves you with what argument then? I would like to once again thank my opponent for the debate and conclude by saying Vote Pro!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org... [2] http://biblehub.com...
itsdostuff

Con

I think I already explained my answer to your first question in the previous round by stating that because no matter the situation people will still support Gay marriage and people who really support Gay Marriage stick to their opinion and its not like i want them to change their opinion about Homosexual Marriage, i just wouldn't advise it.
Well I've already listed a couple of disadvantages during our argument but i could say a couple more like it defeats the states purpose of benefiting marriage and it validates and promotes the homosexual lifestyle. The question in where you say "who is saying that gay parents only want gay kid" I must have misunderstood the question.
Its obviously true that we are sinners, but doesn't mean we're sinners means we have to take advantage of it. When we sin we repent but whats the point in repenting something you don't want to change.
There was not really much to say and i didn't want to say a lot on this round. I'd like to also thank my opponent for having this debate with me as this was my first one, i don't know if that was obvious. I'd also like to thank my opponent for this experience for it was fun and i kept looking forward to hear from you!
Posted by ZenoCitium 1 year ago
ZenoCitium
I'm not sure what is being debated here. It seems like this might fit better in the forum section.
Vote Placed by Elijahhill97 1 year ago
Elijahhill97
HanspeteitsdostuffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both brought to much personal parts into this debate. S&G were close enough. I believe Pro made more concrete arguments and con made more religious/ personal based arguments. Pro was the only one to post/use and sources.