graciegirl
naeramarth1

Homosexual Relationships Are Wrong

graciegirl

Pro

I am pro, as in homosexual relationships are, in fact, wrong.

There will be three rounds.
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Reason 1, Supports, Rebuttals
Round 3: Reason 2, Supports, Rebuttals
Round 4: Reason 3, Supports, Rebuttals

Please be friendly and respectful. Thank you, and good luck!
naeramarth1

Con

I have to disagree, and for good reason as well. As I have witnessed in my life, religious bigots have looked down upon homosexuals for ages. I do not understand this logic. Given the indefinite ratio of homophobic individuals directly correlated to a biased religious perspective, which is in favor of such, I will assume you are of a religious background. What your core beliefs are, I am not sure of, however, this does not take away from the fact that you are indeed against homosexuality. But why? Is it because they have hurt you in some way? Are you in fact not in favor of homosexuality because you honestly believe what a "holy" book says? Are you even sure where it says that homosexuality is wrong? The Holy Bible does state in Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; and 1 Corinthians 6:9 that it is wrong. Romans 1:26-27 specifically promotes homosexuality being a result of disobeying and denying God. But why is this? I assure you that homosexuality is entirely natural, and many species of animals have homosexual tendencies, just as humans do, not to say that humans are any more special. In fact penguins are speculated to be the most homosexual species in the animal kingdom. But do they know of God? Do they concern themselves with such bigotry? There is no justification for your beliefs, because science disproves of your illogical disposition of homosexuals. Though research for a possible 'gay gene' has not been thoroughly investigated yet, there is speculation that there is a stretch of the X chromosome that was found in a study of 409 gay brothers. Those 2,000 years ago, did the people know of such a thing? No. Too often people seem to hate what they don't understand, and because this illogical belief has been held true by Christians especially, being the conservative believers they are, Christians and others alike refuse to believe otherwise. But there are many other things that God would find wrong, such as lying, cheating, murdering, stealing, or envying. Why do people focus on such an insignificant topic? Does it really matter? Matters regarding to homosexuality are not even included in either set of the ten commandments. Do you know what else is a sin in the Bible? Divorce, but I've seen plenty of Christian couples divorce. Does that condemn them to an eternity in Hell? Does that make them wrong? I believe not.
graciegirl

Pro

Round 1 was technically supposed to be acceptance, but that is ok.
I am in fact a Christian, and though that is the main reason behind my beliefs, I also have other reasons not relating to religion, and will bring those up instead since I find it to be a better way to debate, since you obviously aren't a Christian and bringing up Christian beliefs isn't necessarily effective in this circumstance. I will first compose my main reason, and then move on to rebut your points.

REASON 1: Homosexual Relationships are biologically unnatural and ineffective.
If, for the point of this specific argument, we were to remove emotions from the point of marriage, the only reason people do, in fact, get married, is to procreate. (or in simpler terms, to have babies) If no couple had any babies, the outcome is simple: the human race would eventually die off. Even when two gay men use a surrogate mother to have a child, or two lesbians get a sperm donation, the baby created is still from a man and a woman. So, biologically, what is the point of gay marriage/gay couples? There is none.

REBUTTALS: In your argument you made the statement, "Are you even sure where it says that homosexuality is wrong?" and then went on to tell me where it was wrong, therefore contradicting yourself. In other words, yes, I do know where it says it is wrong. You just told me! :) You then went on to assure me that homosexuality is "entirely natural." I am prepared to show you it isn't, with one statement: Same sex genitalia don't, I guess you could say, "go together" the same way opposite sex genitalia do. I am referring to sex when I say go together. You might go on to rebut my argument on this, saying that when two gay men are together, they can do anal. May I remind you that the biological reason for sex and marriage is to procreate? All you get when two gay men have sex is a big, poopy (literally) mess. On to your next point about animal homosexuality. First of all, we are talking about human relationships here, so this is technically a invalid point. Still, I will rebut it because I know that is probably up for debate. You made the statement in your argument that "not to say that humans are any more special." Than animals? So what you are saying is that you are equal to dogs, horses, snakes, monkeys, pigs, etc. I beg to differ. Humans are far more superior in reasoning and in many other things. That is probably why humans have animals in zoos and animals don't have humans in zoos. (Keep in mind here that I do love animals, they just are not equal to us) And as for the science disproving my "illogical" disposition of homosexuals, well, read my Reason 1. And later 2 and 3. I am pretty sure every scientist can agree that we need to keep the human race alive. I will skip past your dig at Christians and Christianity, since I find no reason to defend myself. But let me just say this to clear something up: there are many Christians who hate, and I mean HATE, homosexuals. I am not one of them. I have gay friends. Yes, yes I know, one of those evil Christians has gay friends? Mind blowing. Well, it shouldn't be. The Christians who hate gay people are wrong. God tells us to love everyone. But, there is a difference between loving everyone and agreeing with everyone's lifestyles and beliefs. If one of my gay friends were to be mocked, or bullied or anything similar, I would not hesitate to stand up for them. That doesn't mean I agree with being gay though. And finally, your last point is that God says other things are wrong as well. You are right. You also stated that many Christians do things that God states are wrong. You are correct there as well. But your point is not a valid one. That is like saying, "A murder is not wrong because people rape as well." You see what I am getting at? I am running out of characters so I must finish, but I want to thank you again for partaking in this debate with me. Best of luck in the last rounds!
naeramarth1

Con

I will say that I am in fact new to the website, and I am familiar with the overall structure of a debate, but this is just me getting used to the site I suppose. I believe I am catching on now. We shall build off of anything prior at this point, then.

Reason 1: Homosexual relationships are natural, as they have existed, and continue to exist in the natural world.
As I stated, I do believe that homosexual relationships are entirely natural, as they have existed, and continue to exist in the natural world. One could interpret such a thing in a few different ways, but I believe that anything that has not been set down or built by man, both figuratively and literally, is thereby natural. It has been proven that homosexuality is a defect, and such things occur in various forms all the time, be it birthing complications, or otherwise damage as a fetus, or damage set prior to conception. With this in mind, I stand by my reasoning that homosexuality is natural. Here below, I shall rebut your side of this debate.

Rebuttals: In your side of this debate, you claim that the reason humans will marry is to procreate. You say this putting all emotional attachment aside, but one cannot simply take that out of any marital scenario, for not every marriage is to conceive. Some people such as myself, do not have a monogamous relation in mind as a priority, especially to conceive children. Recently, I have indeed found myself leaning towards being polygamous, which is the unpopular choice of life among most individuals, however it is my choice of being. If circumstances permit, I could indeed settle down with a woman after the height of my life has passed on, however I would not desire children.
Biologically, if one turns a lustful eye to a beautiful woman, in all actuality being attracted to an individual would mean that there is a desire to conceive children with them. The idea of marriage is entirely self imposed, and its standards have evolved to fit accordingly to the modern world as it changes. With all of this stated, your ideal of all marriages being to procreate for the sake of this debate is redundant. You are correct that if no one had children, the human race would die off. Thank God that most people are heterosexual.
However, in your case, you view homosexual relations as pointless, but they cannot deny themselves. They cannot help what they like and dislike. This is why it is not a choice. To say that it is, would be like me asking you when you decided to be straight. But when did you decide to be straight? Of course, this is rhetorical, and on that note, the questions asked in my previous text were rhetorical as well. I didn't expect you to know or not know of the scriptural locations of verses on the subject of homosexuality.
You are partially correct in that same sex genitalia don't 'go together' as well as opposite sex genitalia do, however this should be better left off untouched. Though sexual procedures in gay or lesbian sex do not occur in the same way as straight sex do, that does not make it any less right. Sex is simply what it is, no matter who it is with.
We are in fact equivalent to that of other animals, though we are the most intelligent of all species in the animal kingdom, to deny that we are animals is asinine. It is the ideal that humans are better than any other animal that I will refuse to accept.
graciegirl

Pro

graciegirl forfeited this round.
naeramarth1

Con

naeramarth1 forfeited this round.
graciegirl

Pro

graciegirl forfeited this round.
naeramarth1

Con

naeramarth1 forfeited this round.
Posted by GIDHIR 1 year ago
GIDHIR
In addition, do you honestly fear that if non reproductive relationships are more accepted the human race will perish? The Earth's population is currently over 7 billion people and it is rising at about two births to one death every second and a half or so. Humanity only achieved the feet of over a billion people world wide around 1804. The first try Homo sapiens originated in African at a minimum of 100,000 years ago to a maximum of 200,000 years ago. From about 1927 (when we achieved a population of about 2 billion) to 2011 (when it is estimated that the population surpassed 7 billion) the world population more than tripled and it is thought that we may either plateau at around 10 billion people over the next few decades or that we may even grow higher at an exponential rate. The human race is not becoming extinct anytime soon and we are in the middle of the greatest boom in numbers our species has ever known.
Also, homosexuals make up around <10% of our population on Earth at any given time. No matter how many homosexuals there are in non procreating relationships there will always be plenty of heterosexual sexual relationships that are trying to have children. I understand that not all straight relationships intend to have a child but just remember that as our species is in danger of overpopulation and being under resourced, maybe we could stand to not have so many new parents and just wait a while.
Posted by GIDHIR 1 year ago
GIDHIR
Yes, homosexual relationships involve sexual acts who's sole purpose is not to propagate the species. Yes, they use their body parts for pleasure and not reproductive purposes. Yes, human genitalia is not "meant" to be used in such matters. But by that logic you can't do anything with your body it wasn't "meant" to do. Your hands and fingers weren't "meant" for typing on a computer or writing a novel. Your tongue isn't "intended" to enjoy fine cuisine. Your eyes were evolved to survey your surrounding and not to appreciate art, movies, and the beauty of another human being. If you justify your opposition to homosexual relationships based on the merit that biologically we are not using our bodies properly, then you can't justify eating ice cream, popcorn, or any other food that's main purpose is to produce a good taste and that nutrition and sustenance are not. You can't even listen to music, unless the music is warning you of a predator, like your ears are meant to do.
Posted by Chrislam 1 year ago
Chrislam
Well, excess of everything is bad including excess of freedom. Even our ancestors knew about it.
That is why there have been rules and regulations against absolute freedom in all the recorded tribes throughout history. Even today, every country of this world curtails human freedom beyond a point. In our conscious mind, we know this. Otherwise man in his quest for more has this tendency of becoming wild and complete lawlessness could prevail. Popularity of Homosexuality is a direct consequence of giving freedom beyond the sane comprehension of human mind. Wild animals in rare cases have been seen indulging in oral simulations that some people may present as an argument to support the fact that homosexuality is a part of natural law.
Every single religion in this world prohibits homosexuality&we should always remember the fate of the Lot's tribe(Sodom & Gomorrah) that encouraged homosexuality(as per all the scriptures of Abrahamic Faith). Given below are details of excavations & surveys done in that accursed area of dead sea

Archaeological excavations have revealed that the city lay close to the Dead Sea on the present-day Israeli-Jordanian border. According to scientists, the area is covered in large deposits of sulphur. So, no life in the form of animals or plants is to be found there and the region stands as a symbol of destruction.
German archaeologist Werner Keller says this about the region:
Together with the base of this mighty fissure, which runs precisely through this area, the Vale of Siddim, including Sodom and Gomorrah, plunged one day into the abyss? Their destruction came about through a great earthquake which was probably accompanied by explosions, lightning, issue of natural gas and general conflagration. Scholars believe that they stood in the Vale of Siddim across from these cliffs. Possibly flood waters of the Dead Sea engulfed them following an earthquake.
Geographers have identified this as being on a line to the south-east of Dead Sea.
Posted by graciegirl 1 year ago
graciegirl
Sorry for the wait everyone :) Simply did not have time yesterday. I very much appreciate all the feedback! If you have any suggestions for me, I would love to hear them! After all, the point of this website is to learn how debate better right?
Posted by GIDHIR 1 year ago
GIDHIR
Too much existentialism when I think alone. Go Con.
Posted by Kryptic 1 year ago
Kryptic
also your assurances and assertions are no good without evidence
Posted by Kryptic 1 year ago
Kryptic
first round is also acceptance
Posted by rossila13 1 year ago
rossila13
naermarth1, I found your argument quite interesting, but please do not be so quick as to personally attack those with such beliefs, although your debating method is good, but please try to be more practical rather than personally attacking those who choose to deem homosexuality wrong.

I have enjoyed this debate so far!