Convoluted_Logic
brian_eggleston

Homosexual couples should be allowed to have families of their own.

brian_eggleston

Convoluted_Logic

Pro

I've often heard people claiming that gay couples shouldn't be allowed to have children for various reasons, but I don't really see the validity in it. Why shouldn't they be allowed to have a child of their own - isn't it what every couple wants?
brian_eggleston

Con

I would like to thank Convoluted_Logic for proposing this debate and should like to respond to his opening argument as follows:

Having a family may well be what every couple wants, but that should not the most important factor when considering whether or not homosexual couples should be allowed to have children: the most important consideration should always be what is best for the children.

Children need positive male and female role models in their lives and their primary role models will always be their parents. Children who are brought up by single parents or by same sex parents will not have both those vital role models in their lives.

Children are not lifestyle accessories and neither are they pets: they are human beings and they deserve the best opportunity to succeed in life.

Convoluted_Logic

Pro

Convoluted_Logic forfeited this round.
brian_eggleston

Con

Arguments extended.
Convoluted_Logic

Pro

Convoluted_Logic forfeited this round.
brian_eggleston

Con

Arguments extended once again.
Convoluted_Logic

Pro

My apologies for leaving you so long without a response, I've been experiencing some issues with my Internet connection. Thank you for being so patient.

I'm not trying to say that children are commodities that we should be able to pick and choose or wear like accessories, nor that they should be taken lightly - they are a huge responsibility. I completely agree that the children should come first.
However, I personally cannot see the issue in the notion of both parents being of the same gender.

You've stated that children need both parents, but this acclamation is disproved in everyday life already.
Yes, male and female input would be ideal, but it isn't a necessity for a child to succeed.
Single parents are becoming more and more of a normality in our current stage of society, but children aren't suddenly turning into thugs or rebels, grades aren't falling, and no one is starting riots over a lack of perceivable secure families around the globe.

Also, in homosexual couples, one person will always take on a masculine role and the other, a feminine. Now, I know this isn't exactly the same, but it still gives the contrast of gentle and strong for the child to develop into a character of their own.

As far as I can see, all a child truly needs to succeed in life is a secure base, made up of people who love them, gender aside.
brian_eggleston

Con

Better late than never, Convoluted-Logic! Thanks for continuing the debate...

I can see the rationale behind allowing same sex couples to adopt children (though single people are rarely allowed to adopt) but that is not the same as deliberately bringing a child into the world - a world that is already over-populated with its finite natural resources chronically over-stretched.

Since it is impossible for both parents to conceive a child together and thereby pass on their genes (the basic natural function of all animals, humans included), why not adopt? This way the adoption agencies will be able to properly assess the couple to establish that they are entering into parenthood for the right reasons and not wishing to have children merely to acquire a status symbol.

Vote Placed by Ameliamk1 3 years ago
Ameliamk1
Convoluted_Logicbrian_egglestonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to post for two rounds...